It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wal-Mart Cannot Afford the $10 Wage

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 11:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

How is it you can honestly say that there is the same opportunity as there was 20 to 30 years ago? There is absolutely no refuting that our job market has diminished. Jobs that once upheld the middle class have been outsourced. Job automation is on the rise further reducing the job market.

Is it really the fault of the unemployed/underemployed college graduates? Is it really the fault of the man or woman that has to work two or more jobs between a janitor and fast food just to barely break even if at all?

It's great that you were able to become successful. However there are others who've worked just as hard as you, if not harder, and have not been as fortunate as you.

It would cost about $20 billion for the government to effectively eliminate homelessness in the United States, a Housing and Urban Development official told the New York Times on Monday.

That's just slightly less money than Americans spend on Christmas decorations, according to an analysis from ThinkProgress. Nearly 634,000 people were homeless last year, according to HUD.

U.S. Could End Homelessness With Money Used To Buy Christmas Decorations

20 Billion.... That is NOTHING to ensure no one goes homeless again. NOTHING! Buy why don't we demand this action take place? Because this nation is ran by greedy corporate garbage.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 11:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Someone who knows how to play poker can use their knowledge to be a good poker player, that doesn't negate the fact that they're still gambling.

That is because they are good at reading people not because they can predict what cards are going to be drawn. It isn't the same, but you already know that don't you?

There is no way around it.
The stock market is indeed gambling
People involved in it say is not because they are not relying solely on chance but studying various indicators, as a way to make it sound more sophisticated.

Using that logic, I could say it is not gambling when I go to the horse races either. I have to study the history of horses involved and their past.

Worse still, the stock market is a propped up Ponzi Scheme by our government to protect the top wealthy that make the majority of their money, not through life saving investments from careers either but from playing the stock game from early on.

www2.ucsc.edu...

The Upper Half of the Top 1%

Membership in this elite group is likely to come from being involved in some aspect of the financial services or banking industry, real estate development involved with those industries, or government contracting. Some hard working and clever physicians and attorneys can acquire as much as $15M-$20M before retirement but they are rare. Those in the top 0.5% have incomes over $500k if working and a net worth over $1.8M if retired. The higher we go up into the top 0.5% the more likely it is that their wealth is in some way tied to the investment industry and borrowed money than from personally selling goods or services or labor as do most in the bottom 99.5%. They are much more likely to have built their net worth from stock options and capital gains in stocks and real estate and private business sales, not from income which is taxed at a much higher rate. These opportunities are largely unavailable to the bottom 99.5%.

edit on 14-10-2015 by jacobe001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 11:06 PM
link   

I assume you agree with the free market? If so, you believe a CEO is worth that much. That's bonkers, you're bonkers.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 11:08 PM
link   

I assume you agree with the free market? If so, you believe a CEO is worth that much. That's bonkers, you're bonkers.

I am saying I don't think a major league hitter or pitcher is worth what they get paid, but the free market pays them what the are getting and it is always right regardless of my opinion.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 11:12 PM
link   

But you don't take in to consideration that having parents that did everything for you clearly is the reason for yours. Not on your own merit.

Granted, I didn't have living parents, but because of that, I know the meaning of hard work well beyond what you could ever say you have done. I would rather pour acid over my head than be like you though.You blame people for their lives when you wouldn't be able to cope with the reality that the very people you criticize live every day. Worse, you are blind to the fact of what is truly behind the life you have. You should be on your hands and knees thanking your parents and whatever deity you worship for how truly lucky you were and are to be born into the life you were given. You won the birth lotto, that's all. Suck it up, because because I know more than a few people who struggle to make ends meet that could work circles around your "hard work"
edit on 10/14/2015 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 11:13 PM
link   

What Free Market?

www.opensecrets.org...

Top Lobbying Industries

Pharmaceuticals/Health Products $3,146,090,212
Insurance $2,190,651,832
Electric Utilities $2,013,127,133
Electronics Mfg & Equip $1,823,347,451
Business Associations $1,811,811,643
Oil & Gas $1,715,405,541
Misc Manufacturing & Distributing $1,416,425,661
Education $1,399,862,870
Hospitals/Nursing Homes $1,310,021,801
Telecom Services $1,271,840,866
Securities & Investment $1,264,774,284
Civil Servants/Public Officials $1,216,181,432
Real Estate $1,215,135,758
Health Professionals $1,189,983,794
Air Transport $1,125,384,003
Misc Issues $929,225,311
Automotive $891,793,138
Defense Aerospace $887,354,553
Health Services/HMOs $863,410,051
TV/Movies/Music $851,379,595

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 11:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: calstorm

But you don't take in to consideration that having parents that did everything for you clearly is the reason for yours. Not on your own merit.

Granted, I didn't have living parents, but because of that, I know the meaning of hard work well beyond what you could ever say you have done. I would rather pour acid over my head than be like you though.You blame people for their lives when you wouldn't be able to cope with the reality that the very people you criticize live every day. Worse, you are blind to the fact of what is truly behind the life you have. You should be on your hands and knees thanking your parents and what ever deity you worship for how truly lucky you were and are to be born into the life you were given. You won the birth lotto, that's all. Suck it up, because because I know more than a few people who struggle to make ends meet that could work circles around your "hard work"

I am happy to lend my daughter money or even give it to her. I don't feel the same obligation to you.

ETA: I won't respond to the rest of your post. Maybe your psychotherapist will care. I don't.
edit on 2015/10/14 by Metallicus because: eta

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 11:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: jacobe001

What Free Market?

www.opensecrets.org...

Top Lobbying Industries

Pharmaceuticals/Health Products $3,146,090,212
Insurance $2,190,651,832
Electric Utilities $2,013,127,133
Electronics Mfg & Equip $1,823,347,451
Business Associations $1,811,811,643
Oil & Gas $1,715,405,541
Misc Manufacturing & Distributing $1,416,425,661
Education $1,399,862,870
Hospitals/Nursing Homes $1,310,021,801
Telecom Services $1,271,840,866
Securities & Investment $1,264,774,284
Civil Servants/Public Officials $1,216,181,432
Real Estate $1,215,135,758
Health Professionals $1,189,983,794
Air Transport $1,125,384,003
Misc Issues $929,225,311
Automotive $891,793,138
Defense Aerospace $887,354,553
Health Services/HMOs $863,410,051
TV/Movies/Music $851,379,595

Posting a wall of numbers doesn't make a valid point. If you have a problem with lobbyists then feel free to do something about it if you want. I don't like lobbyists either.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Is that response supposed to make sense? I am amused by the irony though. Are you calling your daughter lazy?

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 11:22 PM
link   

That's not a very healthy mindset, sounds like blind faith to me. You don't think it's fair but it's right anyways because the free market says so. Have you considered the fact that the free market could be wrong? Of course not, you're well off because of the free market so it can't be wrong.

Put yourself in other's shoes. You can't just always assume they're lazy bottomfeeders who want to take your money away from you. Instead of focusing on them, why not focus on the real problem? CEO's getting paid exorbitant salaries and taking that potential pay away from the people who hold them up and allow them to be where they are in the first place.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 11:35 PM
link   

I am sorry if your parents didn't love you. Maybe that explains your current life.

Wow, So you are telling us that, not only were you given your "self made" life from your parents, but you look down on the "poor folk"; and you have the nerve to call somebody a Nazi?

But, you feel the need to verbally abuse others on this site. Is this to cover an inability to carry on mature discussion?

Where do you get off evaluation someone's family's love in terns of money?

We could just as easily assume that you father gave you the start up funds so that he didn't have to support you, which wouldn't prove love. However, we would have just as little validity as you do in your earlier cheap shot.

I would expect that anyone on this site who used such cheap shots as you, would feel comped to apologize when they sobered up.
edit on 14-10-2015 by Magister1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 11:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: calstorm
Is that response supposed to make sense? I am amused by the irony though. Are you calling your daughter lazy?

Are you obtuse?

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 11:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Magister1

I am sorry if your parents didn't love you. Maybe that explains your current life.

Wow, So you are telling us that, not only were you given your "self made" life from your parents, but you look down on the "poor folk"; and you have the nerve to call somebody a Nazi?

But, you feel the need to verbally abuse others on this site. Is this to cover an inability to carry on mature discussion?

Where do you get off evaluation someone's family's love in terns of money?

We could just as easily assume that you father gave you the start up funds so that he didn't have to support you, which wouldn't prove love. However, we would have just as little validity as you do in your earlier cheap shot.

I would expect that anyone on this site who used such cheap shots as you, would feel comped to apologize when they sobered up.

I am saying if you aren't creative enough to come up with $800 then you probably deserve whatever you get. If it wasn't my dad I could have gotten a title loan on my truck. Either way it isn't relevant to a normal person nor is the $800 a requirement for starting a business. I could have done it with less or more, but the point is you work with what you have which at that time was $800 and zero interest from my dad. Other loans would have been less cost effective and illogical to pursue if I didn't need them.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 11:57 PM
link   
If the so-called "POOR" would get off their dead butts and work 2 or 3 jobs then maybe they would get ahead in life instead of siiting on their porches drinking out of paper sacks.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 12:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sunwolf
If the so-called "POOR" would get off their dead butts and work 2 or 3 jobs then maybe they would get ahead in life instead of siiting on their porches drinking out of paper sacks.

No, why not create their own job and stop relying on someone else to pay them. One of the businesses I started with after I quit my corporate job was going door to door and selling things people didn't want on eBay and splitting the money with them.

Be creative and think outside the box. You don't have to sell yourself short or settle for a crap hole like Wal-mart, but if you do...expect the minimum because that is the effort you put in to get your job.
edit on 2015/10/15 by Metallicus because: added spacing

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Sunwolf

That sounds like an awesome life, working 2 or 3 jobs 7 days a week just to make the ends meet. If you were running this country, we'd all be slaves.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 12:02 AM
link   

a reply to: Sunwolf

That sounds like an awesome life, working 2 or 3 jobs 7 days a week just to make the ends meet. If you were running this country, we'd all be slaves.

I agree. He sounds like an idiot.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 12:02 AM
link   

You sound a touch ignorant. Ew. Cause that's all that matters,"Gotta work and bust your back to live that American Dream and save my mind ey and have a 401-K. Pssh most of us don't get 401-Ks as we are all too poor and insignificant to the mid-level management and upper corporate management moguls. I don't work at Walmart, but I work for the EMS system and get paid dirt keeping people alive and safe from life-threatening emergencies, threatening to us too, just so people can survive to collect there 401 Ks and you know what, I'd sure appreciate a raise myself. Maybe I won't be a working EMS provider living within the poverty level. But really, I'm starting to learn the best things in life are free. So enjoy your money and "breaking your tie I mean back while I enjoy traveling the world as a gypsy.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 12:04 AM
link   

What about those who aren't very creative or can't afford college to get that education? And the people who aren't very good at talking with others and being social? What are they supposed to do?

You're coming at the situation as if everyone is capable of doing everything you are able to do. That's not how it works, some people are at a disadvantage in one way or another and aren't able to do what you did, whether it be financially, creatively, or socially. This isn't a utopia.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 12:07 AM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Why do you assume people CAN'T do things? I know complete idiots that own their own business and are very good at what they do.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join