It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Danish scientists make cancer breakthrough

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Iam suprised i havnt seen anything about this on ATS yet (if its already posted, i missed it)

Danish scientists from the University of Copenhagen (UCPH) and the University of British Columbia (UBC) are on the verge of possible breakthrough in the fight against cancer, which may result in a genuine medical treatment for the dreaded disease, according to seven59.dk.

The hunt for a weapon to fight malaria in pregnant women has revealed that, expressed in popular terms, armed malaria proteins can kill cancer. The researchers behind the discovery hope to be able to conduct tests on humans within four years.

If i understand this correctly, they where doing malaria research, and found out that a malaria protein was similar to a protein found in cancer, they can then use this protein, to "infect" cancer, and stop it from spreading anymore - this article i have found, doesnt have much information on how it works, but that is what the danish newspapers, have been saying for the last week

Good results in mice
In collaboration, the two university research groups have tested thousands of samples from brain tumors to leukemias and a general picture emerges to indicate that the malaria protein is able attack more than 90% of all types of tumors. The drug has been tested on mice that were implanted with three types of human tumours.
With non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, the treated mice’s tumours were about a quarter the size of the tumours in the control group. With prostate cancer, the tumours disappeared in two of the six treated mice a month after receiving the first dose. With metastatic bone cancer, five out of six of the treated mice were alive after almost eight weeks, compared to none of the mice in a control group.

This is great news, if more testing shows this to be true - but not the first time i heard about a cure for cancer, only to never hear about it again - so what do you think ATS, is this the cure we have been waiting for?

Source

I cant find any sources about it, other than danish newspapers, so maybe thats why I havent seen this on ATS yet - Danish Source here is a danish newspaper, for those of you who use google translate

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Wait till the big wig Pharmaceutical companies put the nasty price tag on it...

Good for them though, always good to hear possible treatments/cures

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: NoFearsEqualsFreeMan

I thought we had a pretty good start with a cure when HBO aired the Vice special on a cure for cancer...fingers crossed...

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   
What if the ultimate cause of cancer is a viral or fungal infection? Maybe something that can hide inside cells?

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   

I read the research: apparently pregnant women have a certain type of sugar molecule in the placenta that binds to a protein the malaria parasite produces. This same type of sugar molecule is also found in most cancers and these scientists have been able to attach an anticancer drug to the malaria protein to bind to that sugar and target the cancer cell.

Here is the original article: www.cell.com...

Whether it will work or not (in humans) I still admire what these scientists are discovering and achieving... and it would be extraordinary if a killer parasite ends up giving us a weapon to fight cancer!

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Agree, we will never hear about it again. They are ALWAYS "almost" there, but then these people vanish.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: DOwen

No, they don't "vanish". This news item is a non-story, just like 99.9% of all other in vitro "cancer breakthrough" stories.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: GetHyped
a reply to: DOwen

No, they don't "vanish". This news item is a non-story, just like 99.9% of all other in vitro "cancer breakthrough" stories.

Why is this a non-story?

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: angryhulk

See my first post. There's lots of interesting things that can kill cancer in petri dishes. Fire, nuclear weapons, leaving them in the sun for a while, etc. That's the easy part. Until there's any in vivo studies, this finding will join the ginormous scrapheap of in vitro ideas that didn't pan out.
edit on 14-10-2015 by GetHyped because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Ah, something they can patent.There has been a cure for cancer for thousands of years but it can't be patented so it's a no no,and it works. I know because I cured a relative with it.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: CallYourBluff

Your anecdotal evidence has convinced me

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   

I know because I cured a relative with it.

You cured a case of cancer!? Was it by radio frequency? Please tell us your method, if you don't mind, of course.
edit on 10 27 2013 by donktheclown because: thought of something else.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: CallYourBluff
Ah, something they can patent.There has been a cure for cancer for thousands of years but it can't be patented so it's a no no,and it works. I know because I cured a relative with it.

I will wire you $5,000.00 USD if you inform me of how you "cured cancer"

ETA: and it's successful...
edit on 14-10-2015 by slapjacks because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   

See my first post. There's lots of interesting things that can kill cancer in petri dishes. Fire, nuclear weapons, leaving them in the sun for a while, etc. That's the easy part. Until there's any in vivo studies, this finding will join the ginormous scrapheap of in vitro ideas that didn't pan out.

Hahahahahahahahahaha... Brilliant. Try using some of your examples on a human. I particularly like 'fire' hahahahaha. This is a viable and exciting option that can be tested on humans.

Still laughing!

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: angryhulk

Hahahahahahahahahaha... Brilliant. Try using some of your examples on a human. I particularly like 'fire' hahahahaha. This is a viable and exciting option that can be tested on humans.

Still laughing!

The point is: petri dishes =/= humans.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: angryhulk

Still laughing!

The point is: petri dishes =/= humans.

Petri dish... Is that what you call mice? Hahahaha

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Mice =/= humans.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Mice =/= humans.

Ummm I think you don't understand anything. Find another thread maybe?

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: donktheclown

I know because I cured a relative with it.

You cured a case of cancer!? Was it by radio frequency? Please tell us your method, if you don't mind, of course.

It would be a waste of time.People here have already shown they aren't willing to listen.
Carry on with waiting for the cure with the hefty price tag.Trust your doctors and if the time comes when you develop cancer yourselves, take your chemo.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join