It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Toyota to Phase Out Gas Powered Vehicles

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Hello ATS, It's my pleasure to announce that Toyota has announced that the automaker will phase out Gas Powered vehicles by 2050. This is great news and hopefully, the other automakers follow suit.

"When we first announced the Mirai, we said we were at the start of the age of hydrogen," Kiyotaka Ise, a senior managing officer for Toyota Motor Corp., told reporters in Tokyo. "The figure we've announced today is ambitious, but it needs to be to keep the ball rolling."

Fuel-cell vehicles are seen by many as the ultimate green car technology. They use a device, called a stack, to combine hydrogen and oxygen from the air. The process creates a flow of current that can run the same electric motors used for a battery car. The only exhaust gas is water vapor.

The Toyota Mirai has a range of up to 300 miles and can be refueled in about five minutes, comparable to a gasoline or diesel-powered vehicle - which is one reason proponents sometimes refer to the technology as a "refillable battery."

This is great news! I think the timeline is lengthy but at least they're committing to it. Hopefully, it's not too little too late. What says ATS?

www.nbcnews.com...

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Oh man,,,hope I'm still alive to see it...

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   

I really hope it doesn't take us that long. I feel like they could have it done in a year if they really wanted to.

I really hope the world is still alive to see it...

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Sounds to me like they just want more government subsidies for hydrogen...From what I've seen Toyata do they seem pretty hell-bent on avoiding more electric cars, which is weird because they could really have taken a lead in the industry with their Prius.

I have a friend that drives an all-electric Nissan Leaf and he loves it. Of course he doesn't commute far each day, so it works out well for him.

Part of the problem with non-gasoline cars is that they have fewer moving parts. Car dealerships don't make most of their money off the sale of the cars they sell -- car dealerships make most of their money in their service department. If your car doesn't have as many moving parts, it gets serviced far less often ... and that means less revenue for the dealerships.

The entire industry is a finely tuned machine that has been intricately built around gasoline engines for decades upon decades. Shifting away from that model will be damn near impossible. When you add in the infrastructure that will have to change as well (all those gas stations converted to alternatives) ... Then also consider that nearly everything you touch is a product of petrochemicals in some form or another...

Oh no ... we won't be moving away from gasoline anytime soon, you can bet on that.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   
What Toyota are really saying is that, they think they can phase out gas vehicles by 2050 without damaging profitability. If they really wanted to, they could this in five years. Unfortunately, everything is subservient to profit, even at the expense of damaging the environment.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: mithrawept

They are also saying as soon as we figure out how to do it..

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Well said and sadly very true.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   
It has a decent range, can be refueled quickly (once the infrastructure is in place) and doesn't pollute! That's great! Except it will likely cost a hundred thousand dollars when it's released and be completely unaffordable by the middle class working man. Who is middle class these days anyway? I'm lower class like the majority of US citizens in 2015. Welcome of the brave new world of Obamanomics! We aren't in a recession anymore!

When/if they create a car with decent range, can be refueled quickly, doesn't pollute, and costs about $10,000 brand new, let me know. Maybe then I will stop filling the air with carbon monoxide from my ten year old gas-burning monstrosity.

But there are plenty of skeptics, notably including Elon Musk, CEO of battery-carmaker Tesla Motors, who calls hydrogen technology "fool cells."

Elon Musk is a fool cell.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I drove a Toyota Echo for many years, great little car. I'm a small-ish guy, so it was just fine for me. The Echo was actually the car that pioneered a lot of the weight-saving technologies for the Prius. In fact, I got about the same highway mileage as a Prius.

I could get over 500 miles on one 12-13 gallon tank of gasoline. It wasn't exactly the most fun or exciting car to drive, but it was economical with the gas. I also grew to love the center dashboard config. All the gauges were centered in the dash. It actually made it easier to keep your eyes on the road, as you didn't have to look down:

Those pocket things on each side were great for holding CDs...Great little car, if you can find one with under 100k miles, I'd recommend it!

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Greetings-

Are they actually phasing them out or did ISIS™ buy all of the existing ones?

I guess if 'the war' continues Toyota™ will be down to selling ISIS™ the Toyota Isis?

• It should be noted that it is against Toyota™ Official Policy to do business with terrorist organizations.

* Personal Opinion * Whomever is supplying ISIS™ really likes the white colored one, which was 'probably' sold as a "Fleet Deal" ergo, not very difficult to see who is paying for these trucks...

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   
much ado about nothing.

So they have a 35 year plan....and its worth writing a story over. Ladies and gentlmen, I give you proof that journalism has died, replaced by this bastardized journomarketing crap.

On a side note: better really improve battery power to make this work properly. Otherwise, you just create the same amount of carbon from coal to recharge your electric car. Without capitalizing wind and water....this is just passsing the carbon buck from one industry to another.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Go over to the "ask me any physics question" thread and ask about this.
You will be laughed all the way back to the stone age.

Hydrogen as a fuel is apparently against the laws of physics and cannot be a reality.

So this must be a hoax.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Well, on the other hand, you can ask people who actually use trucks (and choose not to buy Toyota currently) why the idea of anything other than a diesel for work would be laughable.
edit on 10/14/2015 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Here is what I have not understood about green vehicles. Where is the extra power to charge these vehicles supposed to come from? America and most of the world is still running coal fired plants . What is the impact of the increased electricity consumption? Just curious if anyone else has considered this.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Well, on the other hand, you can ask people who actually use trucks (and choose not to buy Toyota currently) why the idea of anything other than a diesel for work would be laughable.

No, I get the science and reluctantly get the picture on hydrogen, I just wish it was viable.
But if you try to discuss it, you will end up feeling like you shouldn't have mentioned it.

I have the luxury of being an idiot so I can still feel as if someone might still develop a way to make hydrogen a usable fuel. I'm just lucky that way.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I can't see it happening personally.

A few token top shelf models that nobody will buy, maybe.

But all of the range?

Yeah right. I never liked Toyotas anyway - they are the cars for Mr no imagination.

How do you think Saudi Arabia et al will react if the entire industry follows suit?

What will happen to the USA's main form of income - the ill gotten recycled petrodollar?
edit on 14-10-2015 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Me too.

And possibly novel approaches could be made that would make it viable. Which is the kicker behind Toyotas plan: few people reading the headline today will even be alive when 2050 comes around. Its a 35 year plan, which to me just says, "Hey! Hey! Hey! Look at me!!! Hey!!! Over HERE!!!"

And our lazy ass journalists take this press release, call it a story, and fill a slot on the news cycle. Free advertising on TV, the internet, and radio as people discuss this ridiculous story.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

We have home electric chargers - perhaps a home hydrogen electrolysis/pressurizer can be built.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   

You realize that water vapor is a bigger Greenhouse Gas than CO2?

I'm not saying this isn't a great idea because it is and I'm all for it, but those who hate fossil fuels for what the carbon emissions are supposed to be doing ought to hate this thing even more.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

What we need is Tesla's wireless electric transmission.

The tech exists but is being held back. The pyramids in Bosnia Herzegovina also generate and transmit low voltage, so we might be able to reverse engineer that ancient tech to work for us.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join