It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: North Korea Raises Threats Of Nuclear War

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Humm....funny..... on the 31st of December NK made a threat to Japan.... i guess by what i read from some members in here Japan is also an evil country and their government would stage an attack on their own soil so they can attack NK.......

It seems to be en vogue these days for people to think that known despots/dictators are good people and that free countries of the world are more likely to be the evil ones...... Really strange how some people think...

Anyways, here is an excerpt from the NK threat to Japan. The entire article, which is not that long can be found at the link i provide below.

During the Cold War North Korea kidnapped Japanese citizens.

Some of the people abducted have been allowed to return to Japan, but Pyongyang says others died inside the communist country.

The Japanese Government does not believe that and accuses North Korea of faking evidence of their deaths.

Pyongyang has now reacted angrily to the claims, condemning what it calls an "immoral attitude", threatening to end all dialogue and warning that any further provocation will be met with "physical strength".

Excerpted from.
www.abc.net.au...

BTW, i do not find this funny at all, Pyongyang is a crazed man with his finger on nuclear weapons, he is trying the hardest to maintain control of NK, but he knows the way things are going he won't be in power for long, and before that happens, he will press that button. Thats the card he is playing and before relinquishing the power he has he would rather see his country and the world in a nuclear war.

[edit on 2-1-2005 by Muaddib]

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 09:05 PM
link   
There is no way the U.S. or any other country can act militarily against the North without instigating China. China is the like an overprotective brother. North Korea is like the obnoxious young sister who goes around calling people names and daring all the kids to do something. It was a bad idea to pick on that girl on the schoolyard back in the day, and it's still a bad idea on the world stage today.

Economic sanctions and a program of isolation are probably the only reaction that would succeed. If foreign troops started crossing over, or shells started landing from the battlegroup offshore, China would take serious offense.

The only good option might be to impress upon the Chinese the importance of making N. Korea a Chinese stronghold. They might be able to engineer a coup more effectively, but then we have just in essence traded a small threat for a bigger one.

This situation is almost as sticky as the middle east in terms of our inability to please everyone with any one action. I don't know the answer, because I'm still engaging in a process of elimination thought train regarding this subject. I do know some of the wrong answers though, the answers that will cause more problems than they solved. One of the wrong answers is most definitely invasion. Another wrong answer would be offshore bombardment and/or cruise missle surgery. The Chinese should be able to detect the source of any attack, and then we're up a creek aren't we..

I think America embarked down a dangerous path with all this talk of pre-emptive strikes. It has never been our policy, and it should never have been made policy. The results are demonstrably bad.

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 09:15 PM
link   
The US invading or attacking NK? I don't see that happening.

Now China- China will have the NKs do what China wants them to do. I see NK as a strawman for china. The threats to SK/Japan/US are all done by the local bad-guy (NK) so that China can gauge what its real options are.

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 09:22 PM
link   
This is an editorial comment. Which means, it wasn't a statement from Kim Jung Il's cabinet.

There could be an editorial written in Washington D.C. that called for the round up of all muslims within the united states but it wouldn't mean the administration said it.

Nothing important to see here, move a long.

Btw, This doesn't deserve the front page and the alarm.

Deny Ignorance...

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I would take this as a grain of salt nothing more. It is only an editorial, it is nothing more then an opinion of the newspapers editors or publishers. In fact there was not even an authors name.

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 10:16 PM
link   
IMO I believe that this is a Chinese and Russian tactic to keep American troops, that would otherwise go to the defence of Taiwan, pinned down. I think the chinese are coordinating with the north koreans to possibly time an attack on South Korea by NK and on Taiwan by China at the same time.

we're in for a rough ride folks!

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I don't think the US administration and especially the Japanese take those threats lightly. North Korea was part of the Axil of Evil declared by Bush and look what happened to Iraq with Iran in the sight. A decade of sanctions and an attempt at isolation may have weakened Saddam, but obviously was not enough to remove him. The US just invaded Iraq so why not N Korea? I'm sure Japan wouldn't mind seeing that one bit.

Kim Jong-il needs to go either way...

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 01:38 AM
link   
IF north Korea did something provocative and steped out of line, I can see China ALLOWING the USA to clean house....as long as China put up a strong front of "dont mess with us"....Then the USA allowing China to basically act as the peace keeping nation for "regional stabillity".

Heck I wouldnt be suprised if this secret plan for China/USA to remove this threat isnt already planned out....China keeps face and gets to act as a big player by helping to keep the peace after the USA makes quick work of the problem....meanwhile trade profits keep going for both. China gets rid of an unruley neighbor that was threatening regional stabillity, America gets rid of a threat without having to worry about China because we would INCLUDE them in the plan from the start. Russia has its own problems to want to rock the boat.

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 02:05 AM
link   
A joint US-China military intervention plan in NK would definitely worry NK's leader I believe. The US has the precision bombs and China has lots of foot soldiers. Although I'm not sure that China would want to pay to take over NK. Good thing NK is low on resources and not too much like Taiwan or they might become another take over target by their next door neighbor.

I don't know why NK doesn't just reform their economy like China did and forget all this stupid saber rattling. I believe everyone would be happier except possibly a few here in the US who may not want another economically strong communist country. Looks like things are going to stay the same for awhile at least though.

[edit on 3-1-2005 by orionthehunter]

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 02:15 AM
link   
I cant see China getting to "take over" per say, but act as the peace keeping force in the region....the cost could easily be split up...China would get to be heavily involved in changing the regime into something more to their liking (everyones liking im sure) without angering S Korea as long as it was seen as China lending a hand and playing a leadership role instead of an occupier. This would also bennifit China in that S korea wouldnt just get to "take over" either...N Korea could evolve into its own new nation with assistance from all around, and no one force would be the sole hand in it....a win win scenario I hope the Chinese have considered.

There IS one big drawback tho, unless N Korea is the seeming aggressor/ in the wrong, then China COULD be accused of not backing an ally if it didnt do "something" to aid them. China hates to lose face/honor.
I feel that China could easily re-coup greater honor by saying, "we can no longer support an alliance with the GOVERNMENT of N korea as it stands, but we will support the people and nation that is N. korea, stepping in to become a leader in the area, both by becomming peace keepers as well as "telling the USA enough is enough after the initial removal of the millitary threat".

[edit on 3-1-2005 by CazMedia]

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 02:30 AM
link   
This may be slightly far fetched but what do you guys think about china helping the U.S. clean up NK and the U.S. allowing china to have Taiwan?
The U.S. has a leash on Taiwan and china has a leash on North Korea Peaceful transaction on the Taiwan-china side and a not so dangerous transaction on the U.S. -NK side

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisRT
This may be slightly far fetched but what do you guys think about china helping the U.S. clean up NK and the U.S. allowing china to have Taiwan?
The U.S. has a leash on Taiwan and china has a leash on North Korea Peaceful transaction on the Taiwan-china side and a not so dangerous transaction on the U.S. -NK side

Not sure if that would work ChriRT, the Taiwanese may have something to say about that. They have stated time and again that they are not a part of China and never will be. Also if NK was subdued i think the US would need to keep a Military presence there like in the South. It may be OK in the short term but after a while i think China would not want any US troops along her Border no matter how peaceful the intent and that could lead to tensions in the long term.
Interesting idea though

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedPhoenixDelta
This is an editorial comment. Which means, it wasn't a statement from Kim Jung Il's cabinet.

There could be an editorial written in Washington D.C. that called for the round up of all muslims within the united states but it wouldn't mean the administration said it.

Nothing important to see here, move a long.

The North Korean Government has total control over the media. The story would not have been published if it wasn't approved by the regime.
Washington has no control over it's media and therefore the comparison is useless.

I tend to believe that this is more sabre rattling from the NK government though. The timing and the content seem to be aimed more at it's neighbours than at the US administration. Japan is seriously considering sanctions against Pyongyang, and such action would cause serious harm to an already devastated economy. We basically have the same rhetoric which was used against the US when it suggested sancions against NK earlier last year. Whenever something doesn't go North Korea's way, it resorts to the threat of nuclear weapons, insinuating that whatever the action taken against it, it will only lead to more instability and possible war. It's a tried and tested ploy that has managed to get it economic aid in the past and, if it's worked once, it is reasonable to assume that it will work again. The Kim regime is basically using the only option it has available to get it's own way.

As for those who conjecture about a ground invasion of North Korea? Although this is highly unlikely, don't forget that this is a totally different scenario from Iraq. The US has a much more powerful ally in this region than it ever had in the Middle East - South Korea itself. It has a large, fully trained, modern equipped armed force that in itself would be a potent adversary against it's counterpart in the North.

As somebody has already stated here though; a lot depends on China. North Korea is basically a buffer against the West on Bejing's doorstep. But as the Chinese regime embraces Western economics more and more, as it has done in the past decade, Pyongyang's political usefulness will become more redundant. At the moment, North Korea serves China's regional interests. As those interests and needs change (which they most certainly will), the Kim regime will have to adapt. If it doesn't, China will probably either deal with it itself or abandon it altogether - both of which will have more serious implications for China when compared with the situation between North Korea and the US today. Certainly, China can't afford a war on it's doorstep at this time - it's emerging as a capitalist society and a regional conflict would hurt it's economy drastically. If China's major trading partners were dragged into a conflict by North Korea, it's a safe bet that there would be just as much harm caused to Chinese interests as there would be to anyone else's. For the moment, the stalemate on the peninsular suits China's needs - it can deal with it's trading partners and the uncertainty gives it an edge. Let's just hope that Bejing has worked out it's disengagement plan properly though because eventually it is probably going to have to be a major player in dismantling the Kim regime - once it becomes a fully fledged capitalist economy, it won't be able to afford to maintain an erratic neighbour who might even turn on it's master.

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Excellent analysis Leveler, i agree with almost all you said. The thing is someone is going to have to deal with Kim sooner or later. He has thrown threats about before to get his own way, thats true, but one day he will follow through with one of these threats.
Take his indication that sanctions by Japan would be considered an act of War. If Japan did initiate sanctions do you think he would follow through with his threat to save face? How do you think that would sit with the Chinese? Personally i think they will do their best to stay out of it, but may still supply War material as they did in the 50's. I also think Kim may just be crazy enough to follow through with a strike against Japan if sanctions did occur. After all there is no love lost between NK, China and Japan after what happened in WW2.
South Korea is indeed probably the best trained and equipped Army and Airforce in the region thanks to the US, but am i right in saying that NK has the largest standing Army in the region, except for China?

You get my vote for wayabove for your analysis

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
These are not the type of people to muck around with...who in this government is capable of diplomacy now?

Dipomacy, why bother after all they are dealing with the US, and the American take on diplomacy seems to be "YEEAAAHHW!! Bang, Bang! We own the world!"

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corinthas

Dipomacy, why bother after all they are dealing with the US, and the American take on diplomacy seems to be "YEEAAAHHW!! Bang, Bang! We own the world!"

Humm....really?.....let's see there are about 12 wars in which Islamic extremists are part of.... That's without counting small trouble spots and other wars around the world........and the U.S. with the coalition is in two of those wars...... wow....yeah....we want to be the owners of the world.....

Yeah...i forgot Europe is ours....so is Africa...so is Russia.... Yep, we are going around conquering the world...........

On the contrary, China doesn't want Taiwan to be independent...and they are willing to go to war with them, just because Taiwan is an independent country...... Yeah......who's diplomacy seem to be.........."YEEAAAHHW!! Bang, Bang! We own the world!" ?..............

[edit on 3-1-2005 by Muaddib]

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Janus

Take his indication that sanctions by Japan would be considered an act of War. If Japan did initiate sanctions do you think he would follow through with his threat to save face? How do you think that would sit with the Chinese? Personally i think they will do their best to stay out of it, but may still supply War material as they did in the 50's. I also think Kim may just be crazy enough to follow through with a strike against Japan if sanctions did occur. After all there is no love lost between NK, China and Japan after what happened in WW2.

It's highly doubtful in my opinion. What we've got to remember here is that North Korea is stating that it's neighbours would be declaring war against it and not that North Korea itself is declaring war. What could happen would be that Kim would declare his country to be in a state of war but he would not implement military action. To do so would definitely sound the death knell for his regime whatever the outcome for the rest of the region. It is quite possible though for NK to declare war without actually attacking the enemy and to do so would mean that Kim hasn't lost face, even though he hasn't necessarily pulled the trigger.
Obviously, this would create more instability in the area, but again, it wouldn't harm Chineses interests if he were to do this. It only becomes dangerous if NK actually starts mobilising it's military and makes threatening gestures towards it's neighbours.

I don't believe that China actually has that much to gain from a regional conflict. Although it could supply weapons to Pyongyang, it will basically be financing a Korean war. Fighting technologically superior forces will cost Bejing a lot of money and once a war is underway it would be economic suicide as many of it's potential customers could be harmed. Capitalism requires both buyers and sellers and, if you harm your trading partners, you harm yourself. China is also undergoing massive foreign investment at this time which could also be jeopardised - $15 billion of foreign investment was announced just last week.

North Korea will be in desperate trouble if Japan uses sanctions against it. Japan is a major source of money to Pyongyang. Not only is it the 3rd largest of NK's trading parters but it is also home to a lot of NK nationals who send money home - money which NK heavily relies upon. This source of income is only one of many that Tokyo is discussing stopping. But that's not to say that NK won't survive a Japanese embargo - this isn't the first. Japan stopped food aid in 2001 and NK survived.

But all of this is mere conjecture anyway. We could look at things from the other side of the coin. This whole recent situation began with the threat of Japanese sanctions due to the failed return of kidnapped Japanese citizens. It seems that the pressure for the sanctions is coming from the Japanese population and is being relayed to NK by Tokyo. In itself, this could be sabre rattling by the Japanese. It is highly doubtful wether Japan's allies would actually approve of sanctions as this would make the upcoming multinational talks with NK more complicated.

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I fairly agree with much of what has been posted. Let's add a little more.

NK is rooting-tooting for what? To take over SK? Naw, they know that won't stand up.

A confrontation with Japan? Maybe, but what kind?

These are things we do not know. What we do know is that Japan and NK has long had a tense relationship. NK is militaristic and probably has a few nukes and mid-range missiles that 'might' hit Japan.

Japan has what? Defensive (small) military. What else? Does Japan have a defense against the NK missiles? Doesn't have to be a 'missile shield' as we know it. Could be something different.

I can't see the Japanese pushing the NKs without protection. The Japanese are probably more secure than we realize.

While all this takes attention away from??? China/Russia/India/Brazil?Venezuela-

As to the sacrifice of Taiwan, I can't see that happening either. China owes too much money to the Taiwanese. Maybe Taiwan will join China as some kind of commonwealth?

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
These are not the type of people to muck around with...who in this government is capable of diplomacy now?

Come on now! Who in their right mind would want to initiate diplomacy with a government threatening the use of nuclear weaponry?

I say blow them SOBs to HELL and do it quickly!

Actions speak louder than words!

Talk has always been cheap!

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 07:02 PM
link   
There is no chance of a ground war if Jong Il does something stupid. Why do you thing we're pulling troops out of South Korea. In the event of an attack launched by NK, we'll nuke the s*** of them along with the support of the international community....including China.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join