It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teacher lost 56 pounds eating only McDonald's now teaching kids about 'healthy' eating

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   
So...

A teacher named 'John Cisna' weighed 280 pounds when he decided to go on the McDonald's-only diet. Because.... logic.

I have yet to see the documentary, that he is the star of, and I'm a little hesitant considering, well, teaching kids about 'healthy' eating and him saying things such as "you can eat anything you want as long as you regulate calories and exercise." which is true if you're only worried about your weight. Of course that kind of leaves out a ton of important things that have to do with your body actually being healthy, versus visually skinnier.

Before I make any more preconceived notions on the matter, I'll let you read the article surrounding this.

A science teacher who lost 56 pounds in six months while eating nothing but McDonald's is the star of a new documentary, The Lunch Tray reports.
After 90 days, he had lost 37 pounds, and at the end of the six months, he weighed 224 pounds.

Cisna limited his daily intake to 2,000 calories and exercised for 45 minutes five times a week.

The documentary follows his journey, while incorporating footage from an amateur video he filmed while conducting the experiment.

Link

So, before you see the documentary (if you do), what are your thoughts on this?

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Believe it or not , I am now keeping my once runaway A1c down and my weight by eating only McDonald's breakfast menu foods all day.It is surprising to hear of someone else. I thought it but a fluke.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

Desperate stunt by McDonald's that lost many unhappy mealers trying to shoot down the antagonist documentary Super Size me.

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

Home made will ALWAYS win in nutrition and health over processed foods and fast fixes.

Time is what makes food good, there is no way around it, fast food is missing that ingredient and time is money and money is the only important thing McDonald's cares about. In this case, McDonald's cares about its image, which is to boost what has been lost as a result of people refusing to eat their plastic foods; money.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   
The film Super Size Me might disagree with the healthy aspect of fast food served at restaurants like Mickey D.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I guess things like McDonald's meals are highly standardized so the same meal always have the same calories, the key to control glucose levels are to count calories, if you have discipline you can do this well with any food, if you can't perhaps eating McDonald's helps to count, if you can eat the same food over and over again and limit the calories it's the same as following a correct diet.

That is regarding calories, but I'm sure a full controlled diet, varying the foods is better nutrion than eating cardboard 3 times a day, so eating McDonald's will keep you slim, while frying your brain and following a varied diet with the same number of calories will keep you slim and healthy.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent
I guess things like McDonald's meals are highly standardized so the same meal always have the same calories, the key to control glucose levels are to count calories, if you have discipline you can do this well with any food, if you can't perhaps eating McDonald's helps to count, if you can eat the same food over and over again and limit the calories it's the same as following a correct diet.

That is regarding calories, but I'm sure a full controlled diet, varying the foods is better nutrion than eating cardboard 3 times a day, so eating McDonald's will keep you slim, while frying your brain and following a varied diet with the same number of calories will keep you slim and healthy.

But my average glucose has went from about 280 to 86 . Thus I challenge.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   

I agree with the guy. People pretend that weight loss is more complicated than it actually is. The body is a machine which runs on food as fuel. On a fixed number of calories, it will only go so far before it needs to burn fat reserves. I think the exercise is the key but so few are willing to admit/do it. Eat less, but also MOVE MORE. 45 minutes 5 days is respectable and ought to generate results, McDonalds or not.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

You challenge that eating a fixed amount of carbs is the way to control glucose? Good on you

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 09:25 PM
link   

The MacDonald's menu choices has drastically changed.

There are lots of healthy choices, loads of veggies etc.

I think people should check out the menu and choices. Of course, if you are going to order a salad and drown it in dressing, guess what - calorie count goes up.

Order a McWrap with breaded chicken instead of grilled - same thing!

What the man in this documentary did is the same principle that Jenny Craig is based on. Jenny sells you pre-packed meals that heat in the micro. No leftovers. No cheating and you have a diet that has highly controlled calories. Combine that with some exercise and Bob's your uncle, you lose weight.

Of course you can do the same thing with home cooked but then there are always leftovers to contend with and its just so easy to add a little something something to make it taste better.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   
This is largely because McDonalds has been trying to reduce the calories but they've also therefore reduced the nutrients in the food as well ... I read about this months ago but sorry, I don't have a link.. I will have to dig one up but it's nearly 11pm here..

The point of fact is you're eating food that has less fat.. true, but fat is important depending on what it is.. they cut out carbs, but carbs are necessary in the right type and proportion .. and protein .. of course you will lose weight..

Is losing weight good? NOT REALLY .. depends on how it's done.. the loss of poper nutrients means muscle loss, bone loss.. and of course fat loss.. when you eliminate fats you eliminate the ability for your body to absorb fat soluble vitamins... which are critical for bone and muscle mass as well as your immune system...

Fat does not equal healthy ... skinny does not equal healthy either.. in fact that can be worse depending on your actual intake... take this from a man who weighed 350lbs .. learned nutrition and dropped down to 190 .. 170 at my lowest but that was too low ...

A McDonalds diet is NOT a healthy diet .... it's only dropping weight because so many things have been cut from it.. it's giving you what you want for taste, and cutting the calories back.. in doing so it also eliminates essential nutrients which actually could make it more detrimental to your health in the long run...

People think you can shortcut to a healthy lifestyle .. it's not that easy.. an I guarantee .. McDonalds is NOT the way.
edit on 10/13/2015 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

I worked at McDonald's as a manager, and I will just say stick to the breakfast and you will be ok. Stick to the breakfast it's closer to homemade IMO.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   

I'd also like to know who funded this documentary.. because it's nonsense in the long run

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Avoid processed foods ( fast food is eliminated)
Learn to prepare your own ( takes time, more expensive )
Learn what fats are healthy vs unhealthy ( Easy lesson to pick up on, just pay attention to who did the studies )
High calorie or not, you can be healthy and big, or smaller as long as you're getting the proper nutrients for your size..

This post actually seems like a McDonald's employee posting it as a subtle ad... but who knows? ..you don't need fast food.. but if you are on the run, get an orange juice instead...

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks

The MacDonald's menu choices has drastically changed.

There are lots of healthy choices, loads of veggies etc.

I think people should check out the menu and choices. Of course, if you are going to order a salad and drown it in dressing, guess what - calorie count goes up.

Order a McWrap with breaded chicken instead of grilled - same thing!

What the man in this documentary did is the same principle that Jenny Craig is based on. Jenny sells you pre-packed meals that heat in the micro. No leftovers. No cheating and you have a diet that has highly controlled calories. Combine that with some exercise and Bob's your uncle, you lose weight.

Of course you can do the same thing with home cooked but then there are always leftovers to contend with and its just so easy to add a little something something to make it taste better.

Tired of Control Freaks

They may add healthier menu choices, but typically the people waiting through the McDonalds drive through, or any drive through, aren't going for it .. a friend of mine works drive through and they RARELY ever hear healthy options chosen... and when they do, it's not fresh and it's in small nutritional content... it's a PR game for them .. they don't promote it nearly as much as they do the rest of their stuff, and it's not nearly well tended to ... but it's added there to pick up some extra customers... sometimes that stuff can sit in a fridge for days on end before someone buys it... MMM health ...

Yes the chicken wrap, grilled.. is an exception.. but a minor one since they already sold grilled chicken before... now all they have to do is heat up a frozen wrap, throw in some lettuce and the chicken they already have handy and serve.. and actually in the case of the grilled chicken... it arrives frozen too ... it's not fresh... the grilled chicken is at least fried fresh, which is worse I admit...

When you deep freeze and deep fry things they lose many of their nutritional properties .. people think too short term... calories are the biggest thing... that's the LEAST important thing.. you need to understand the breakdown of what those calories are, and you need to look at the nutrients as well.. the minerals and vitamin content which most Americans are deficient in .. and likely much of the world because of processed foods

And no.. I'm not a vegan or a meat hater.. I love an awesome steak ... I just understand food and nutrition

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 10:07 PM
link   
McDonalds bashing is one of ATS favorite past times.

LOL

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Good to know I love McDonalds.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

Dude you come on these forums and offer some really awful advice.....so you are now trying to promote Maccas as healthy !...you come here spouting out how smoking cigarettes is healthy for you and now this ...you clearly have absolutely no idea what you are talking about

On topic...As others have mentioned the lack of nutrient in macdonalds food is what will cause the damage,this guy may have found a way to count calories but what is all that plastic doing to his insides ?...i bet he would live longer and at a much higher weight if he ate food that actually fed the body...remember you are what you eat

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 11:04 PM
link   
a reply to: miniatus

I did not offer advice. Not even the smallest sliver of advise. I made an observation. There is a difference.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

BTW - just so that I am know.

Do you honestly believe that millions of adults choose to smoke for no benefit whatsoever?

Just exactly who are you that you feel that you have the right to decide for 'what is good for others".

No matter how educated you may be, no matter how intelligent you may think you are.....what do you know about what makes someone else's life worth living.

I made the simple observation that this man used a calorie controlled menu, along with exercise to lose weight. He did not claim to be "healthier". He claimed to weigh less. How is this approach different than many main stream diets. Control calorie intake, increase calorie output and the result is usually wieght loss. The fact that this man did it with McDonald's, instead of Jenny Craig or home cooked foods is the twist but the technique is the same.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Without viewing the thing (watching Dexter on Netflix instead), I'd say it would depend on what one ate from there. They do have some healthier choices these days. Not what I'd do, but if one was sensible, eating salads, frilled stuff, fruit parfaits and the like, it's possible. I wouldn't be able to stand giving them that much business, myself, and suspect he's done it for the money.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join