It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

silver tooth crown

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   
anyone know of dentists are still doing this?

have not been to the dentist in a bit. not too hip to them.
anyway

about 8 years ago i got my front tooth busted out. half of it actually. i guess the tooth was 'dead' inside so i had a root canal and they put a temp crown on it. i got molded and was supposed to go get the perm crown and i never did.
so 8 years down the line the tooth is a bit discolored and there is a ridge through the middle large enough to snag my finger nail on and i am afraid it is going to pop off one of these days.

im going to make an appointment to get a perm crown done on it but i want a silver one. was curious if anyone knows if this is still being done and is it a serious procedure.

thanks all

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

I think they stopped doing those long ago (mercury fillings).

They drilled all of mine out from the 80's and replaced with white ceramic materials.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

I think they stopped doing those long ago (mercury fillings).

They drilled all of mine out from the 80's and replaced with white ceramic materials.

im not talking about a filling. the tooth in question has already been rooted out. they screwed a post in and fit it with some kind of ceramic temp cap and used a uv gun to cure it.
you might be right but im not talking about getting it filled. i want to get it capped.

like a veneer type of deal
edit on 13-10-2015 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Do they use silver? I think the choice is silvery looking as opposed to gold or ceramic. Silver oxidizes in the presence of moisture.

It would turn green, mmm, I think.

Leastways…

Linky

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Dentists still use amalgam - they prefer to use in those cases where the tooth is in heavy use and can't be cleaned easily (molar, close to the gum, at the back).

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Oh yeah, they usually install a post into the dead tooth, saw the thing off at the gum line and fit you for a ceramic / porcelain crown. They will stick a temp on it from regular whitish filling material and send away for the permanent crown. Usually takes a week and you go back, they yank the temp off and screw in and glue the permanent crown in.

Will probably cost about $400 out of pocket after insurance picks up about half. I have had a few done. Will be much more if they have to re-root canal the tooth though. Hope they sealed it inside.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr
Silver crowns are typically stainless steel and intended to be temporary in nature.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3

Thank you. I get teeth pulled when they go bad, they been bothering me my whole life, good riddance.

Call me gummy…

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Yes, we can still make a "silver" crown, provided that the remaining tooth structure is sound enough to support/retain the casting.
It will not be metallic silver, since as previously posted silver alloys tend to tarnish in short order.
Instead, the crown can be made by casting in a non precious or semi precious silver colored alloy, which is then cemented or bonded to the prepared tooth. You will have to see your dentist to evaluate the tooth for a number of factors as mentioned above, as well as several other factors prior to preparation and creation of the crown (including periodontal status, adequacy of root canal fill, etc)

Bottom line: if it is beginning to crack, don't put it off!!
Cheers!.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I have a molar that was capped with a silver like crown. I guess it's supposed to be temporary, but I haven't changed it yet. My youngest likes my "pirate tooth" and giggles when I smile big and show her!

top topics

join