It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SETI: On the Verge of a Breakthrough?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Super interesting! S&F OP!

Im no atrophysicist, but wouldnt a broken up comet fall into a regular orbit around a star? Wouldnt that mean its transits would be evenly spaced?

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 02:29 AM
link   
a reply to: slip2break

I honestly believe that aliens visited us after the first nuclear bombs was 'tried' or whatever it's called. Imploded? Exploded?
Anyway, since that would send out MASSIVE energy, which honestly should be readable to any 'intelligent civilization' out there, since it is an anomaly, which is what I would look for if I were looking. Little anomalies, and the nuclear age is a clear sign of an intelligent specie getting to a point where everything is ahead of them. If a civilization can alter atoms in a way like this, this would be a good sign. (I know.. But you can't exactly read CERN usage in space.)

I believe the government is trying to 'ease' it on us, and since the meeting has been throwing breadcrumbs at us. What would have happened if they came "Oh... We were just visited by an alien race far superior to ours." People would panic, most would at least. Look at our civilization today, most people are... fricking dumb, let's just be honest. They would probably panic, still. People fear what they do not understand.

First; Oh we found water on Mars. (How the hell??? How could they after 40 years not have found this earlier, they serious?)
Second; Oh, we have found blue sky AND water (ice) on Pluto! (Alright.)
Third; Damn, we have found an anomaly, that might or might not be alien 1500 LY away, hurr durr.
Fourth; ????
Fifth; Profit. (Aliens confirmed.)

I honestly can't wait for the magical sentence; "We have been in contact with an alien race."

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 03:06 AM
link   
It's worth pointing out here that, even if this really is evidence of a technologically advanced civilisation, any observations of our Solar System from their vantage point would see us as we were around 500 AD. In other words, nothing to report! Having said that, we are also observing the system as it was nearly 1500 years ago, so they could be pulling into Earth's parking lot as we speak

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 03:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Mogget

That is true. Scary in a way, that if they could harvest the sun 1500 years ago, where would that leave them now? Hypothetically speaking of course, since we do not know if it indeed is aliens.

Just imagine us in 1500 years, incredible.

Let's take a trip through history; Technology is getting researched in an exponential speed, from the fire to now. Look at the last 75 years, we have accomplished more than in our entire history in those years. Simply amazing.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 04:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: DannyTorrance
More speculation and the Fermi Paradox -

Since the star is an F3 and is larger and more massive than our sun then it has a much shorter lifespan. There is a much narrower time window for planet formation and for an advanced intelligent civilization to evolve. It stands to reason then that it would be unlikely that this star is the alien's home system.

Kepler has only surveyed a very small fraction of the visible galaxy and was the first spacecraft capable of making these observations. Since the star is unlikely to be the alien's home system, and we discovered one of their megastructures after observing a very small portion of the visible sky and on our first attempt, then it is reasonable to assume they must have colonized many star systems.

The Fermi Paradox has been perplexing scientists for years because there shouldn't be anything exceptional about earth. And if an intelligent civilization arose millions or billions of years earlier than us they would have colonized the galaxy by now and we should see the evidence. Kepler is giving us the ability to do so for the first time.

If it is all true, then the big questions remaining are - What is their relation to Earth and did they seed our planet in the first place? Have they been visiting and interacting with us?

fun fact: stars like ours and those that are larger do not nova or supernova because they run out of fuel. They do so because the otherwise available fuel does not circulate. our star will have only used up 3 percent of it's hydrogen before it dies. However; if you posit a type I or higher civilization they could have figured out how to mix up that fuel and make thier star have a lifespan like that of red dwarfs. after all one metric for such a civilization is that they have the technology to fully utilize all of a stars output power even wrapping it in a huge shell.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 04:13 AM
link   
so conceivably another way to look for such a civilization would be to find skewed ratios of metalicity or isotopes. star appears young in terms of most metrics but has an out of scale preponderance of "metals" which indicates the star has been fusing for far longer longer than it should have been able to.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Type 0 civilization meets Type 2....Not a good scenario. It's akin to us meeting, not cavemen, but the slightly evolved primates that came before them. What we are observing is something that occurred 1500 years ago. In the unlikely scenario that this pans out, they were constructing megastructures when we were living in villages hunting animals with bows and spears and picking nuts and berries. If it really is aliens ( unlikely) our best bet would be to simply observe, and not say a word.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 04:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Vdogg

I don't believe that, honestly.

With intelligence comes respect and reasoning. They would have nothing to fear from us, nor would they have anything to harvest on Earth. Everything on Earth is abundant everywhere in the universe.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Im not normally one to to post on such threads.

It not that I dont believe aliens cant exist. Its a big universe. But I have never thought there evidence either way.

Which brings me to this......

It interesting......very very interesting.

I wont yet jump on to the alien bandwagon. As it could be something natural we haven't seen yet, it would not be the first time.

But even I have looked through the data and I think it odd. Im not a Astro Physicist (JAADDDDDEEEE!) but I am trained in reading spectragraphs and it does indeed look intresting.

Guess we will have to wait until the James Webb goes up!
edit on 16-10-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 05:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7
Interesting ,I wonder if a probe is in order?

At 1500 light years good luck with that

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Mentioned earlier in the thread was the time differential, in that these aliens would be seeing us 1500 years in the past and would not know we have reached the Atomic age. Has no one considered what happens at the sub atomic level when an atom bomb is detonated? given that there seems to be this ability for matter in remote locations to react to stimulus from a local one [very over simplified description btw]. What if they have the technology to detect these fluctuations instantaneously? If they could build massive solar arrays who knows what scientific measuring capabilities they have too.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: SBargisen
We are infinitely more advanced than we were 1000 years ago. We haven't stopped killing each other, we've just found more efficient ways of doing so. I'd love to have your optimism, but history just hasn't borne that out.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 07:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vdogg
We are infinitely more advanced than we were 1000 years ago. We haven't stopped killing each other, we've just found more efficient ways of doing so. I'd love to have your optimism, but history just hasn't borne that out.

As a rule of thumb the more advanced a technology is the more destructive it is.

If a civilisation got to the point of FTL travel they would have to have developed some sort of restraint and be somewhat peacefull or likely they would have destroyed themselves with there own technology.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 07:50 AM
link   
very exciting to say the least.

This video from april 2015 is from a SETI interview. an astronomer talking pretty much about this scenario happening. She goes on to say "we will probably detect something and then argue over it for a very long time". Its very interesting as she seems to predict whats happening now lol.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 08:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vdogg

#Also to Crazyewok.

No. Look at our society now, and 500 years ago. 500 years ago we burned witches on the stakes, we hung people, we tortured people in the worst of ways. (I know, some of this is still happening around the world, but less frequently. Muslim lands are a bit behind on this part, the same goes for some Asiatic countries.) The western world has advanced to become a more understanding world, we do not judge the way we did. I see this as a clear suggestion that the more advanced a civilization becomes, the less violent it becomes.

"As a rule of thumb..." - Just no. Not as a rule of thumb. There is a qlimax, we have been there, we have done that, we have also surpassed that. We have the ability to be more destructive, that does not equal to, that we ARE more destructive.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 08:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: H34T533K3R
She goes on to say "we will probably detect something and then argue over it for a very long time". Its very interesting as she seems to predict whats happening now lol.

Jason Wright at Penn State has been searching for these signs of alien mega structures for a while now, and it was known in the astronomical community that (knowing his search parameters) there are natural phenomena out there that could provide him with false positives, so it really isn't surprising that there would be debate as to whether or not his evidence could only be from alien megastrucures.

That's usually the way science works, anyway. People could have evidence supporting a certain hypothesis, but it takes years to confirm whether or not that evidence can only be consistent with the hypothesis, or if it could be something else.

Another could example would be the dark streaks on Mars that were recently in the news. The "currently flowing water" hypothesis was officially postulated by some NASA scientist (and others) 10+ years ago when the streaks were first noticed, but it took several years of testing data to eliminate all other possible explanations before "flowing water" became the accepted answer.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   
This story is all over the mainstream media today. For SETI to announce this discovery, I think they must have a theory by now of what It could be. The anomaly was discovered in 2009 so they have studied it for 6 years.

I believe this is a major discovery and we will find out more exciting news about this in the next year to two. I hope so anyway. If it does turn out to be an alien civilization, I agree with some who say we should tread very lightly as they could likely squash us like bugs if they wished.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: EchoesInTime
This story is all over the mainstream media today. For SETI to announce this discovery, I think they must have a theory by now of what It could be. The anomaly was discovered in 2009 so they have studied it for 6 years.

I believe this is a major discovery and we will find out more exciting news about this in the next year to two. I hope so anyway. If it does turn out to be an alien civilization, I agree with some who say we should tread very lightly as they could likely squash us like bugs if they wished.

well, the biggest telescope and radiotelescope are currently in production, they will finish the assemble next year..i'd say that next year the history is gonna be...HEAVILY UPDATED =)

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Wright's paper is out.Lots of reading for me this weekend

Wright

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: slip2break

You will be disappointed. His conclusion?

Source

Invoking alien engineering to explain an anomalous astronomical
phenomenon can be a perilous approach to
science because it can lead to an “aliens of the gaps”
fallacy (as discussed in §2.3 of Wright et al. 2014b) and
unfalsifiable hypotheses.
The conservative approach is
therefore to initially ascribe all anomalies to natural
sources, and only entertain the ETI hypothesis in cases
where even the most contrived natural explanations fail
to adequately explain the data

top topics