It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SETI: On the Verge of a Breakthrough?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Fascinating, maybe more so exciting than the water on Mars announcement that many already figured was the news.

a)Just boring "space-junk" leftover from planetary formations and moon-like orbits
b)It's what's observing earth in all it's glory and all it's fails
c)Not only observing but changing/controlling things light source mention?
d) It is Borg

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   
right, i wish professional astronomers wouldnt say things like

“It looked like the kind of thing you might expect an alien civilization to build.”

i dont know what alien 'civilization' he is talking about...
this small flux in light emitted can be caused by large colliding bodies, or junk or unknown gases. i dont know why professional scientist would say something like it could be aliens who build giant solar panels basically.

the implications here are massive
logically, this will not be what some are blindly hoping already.

-- if anything, an advanced civilization would find ways to use LESS energy to get the same tasks done.
-- effectively blocking out or disturbing the output of the star would surely have an effect on neighboring planets.
-- if this was what those astronomers claim it could be, there would have been evidence of this long ago.
-- also under the presumption other possibly civilization have the same physiology as us and would need to use energy as we do ... unreal. maybe an advance civilization would use other forms or sources of 'energy'... not chain reaction-energy as we know it.

i hope they do more experiments, different fields, radiation emission, radio etc before claiming something like mega solar panels.

citizen astronomers

hmmm...

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Is this what SETI comes up with after years of public and later private funding that led to nothing? Giant alien solar panels really?

I believe in intelligent life outside this rock, but this is certainly something natural.
edit on 15-10-2015 by Picollo30 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   
So if we do see radio transmissions, they would have been transmitted about the time William the Conquer arrived in London.
By now the Dyson Sphere may be completed.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: slip2break

You are reading the paper wrong. Let's look at what the paper sourced says is the outcome:

Source

By considering the observational constraints on dust clumps orbiting a normal main-sequence star, we conclude that the scenario most consistent with the data in hand is the passage of a family of exocomet fragments, all of which are associated with a single previous breakup event.

So what is more plausible? A massive partial dyson sphere, or this star ate an entire ort cloud?
edit on 15-10-2015 by raymundoko because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   
google: dyson sphere

a reply to: odzeandennz

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

So you obviously barely made it through the Atlantic.com article right...
You didn't even bother to read the actual paper that was linked ?
You even quoted 'Citizen Astronomers' and then added your own cynical "Hmmmm".
You do realize that the text was, "Citizen Scientists" don't you?.
Smh.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: slip2break

I had an interesting thought today.

Imagine if this turns out to in fact be a megastructure, the artifact of a galactic super civilization. If they can construct a Dyson sphere, its possible that they seeded every habitable planet for thousands of light years out from their homeworld.........

We could be looking at our creators.
edit on 15-10-2015 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: openminded2011a reply to: slip2break

I had an interesting thought today.

Imagine if this turns out to in fact be a megastructure, the artifact of a galactic super civilization. If they can construct a Dyson sphere, its possible that they seeded every habitable planet for thousands of light years out from their homeworld.........

We could be looking at our creators.

Isn't there some kind of prophecy of the Messiah coming, bringing with him a huge city?

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Here is a a blog entry from Jason Wright from Penn State.

KIC 8462852

And while I am on the topic, the world needs to come up with a better name for this thing-- as getting funding for further research is all about marketing... fiction needs to be written to inspire.. and what not. And KIC 8462852 just ain't working. From Wright's blog:

(we call it “the WTF star” internally, although I more commonly call it “Tabby’s star” or “LGM-2”.).

As much fun as it would be to go with WTF star... I think Tabby's star has a nice ring to it. The hypothetical mega structures can have been built by Tabites, Tabians, Tabs, pick your poison.

Not trying to derail the thread with this train of thought-- but the whole lack of naming stellar objects with actual names has been bugging me out for sometime. Its a total buzz kill... talking to a friend about this today, I could see I peaked their interest. They asked me where the star was and what it was called... and I gave the general location and rattled off the KIC 8462852 name... "Cool" was the response I got, with a dulled expression. The conversation drifted away from this onto who my local hockey team would play tonight.

/rant

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: slip2break
Not trying to derail the thread with this train of thought-- but the whole lack of naming stellar objects with actual names has been bugging me out for sometime.

I think we should keep the number designation until we find a planet with people on it, and then just call it what they call it.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: raymundoko

I didn't read anything wrong, except for mistakenly identifying the flux to be -80% when it in fact was -20%. Which is very significant as large hot Jupiters only register at -5%.

Yes, the paper conclude that the best solution is a comet cloud. But they give no detail what that would look like. I'd like to see an even conservative estimate of such a cloud.

The paper only explores known naturally occurring phenomena. I never said otherwise. .

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Just curious. When a discovery like this is made is there an analysis done to determine not just the probability of life but the probability whether the life form is carbon based(like DNA on our planet), Silicon based(A hypothetical form of life) or Germanium based(A hypothetical form of life)? Also, if in fact the light that we're seeing from this star is 1500 light years away then we're looking at an instance in time 1500 years ago. With that said what would be the likelihood that the structure or structures are still intact in the same form today or to be more creative and somewhat hopeful -- if we're looking at a structure that was built 1500 years ago, and compare it to how fast we have advanced ourselves in the past 150 years, how far advanced would the potential civilization be 1500 years later(today) and what might that structure look like today?

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I miss Carl Sagan

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hyperia
I miss Carl Sagan

I thought that exact thing myself over the last few days. We just need to find some new voices

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 09:17 PM
link   

I miss Carl Sagan

Me too! He would label most of the scientists and also the posters to this thread as closed-minded. He would say that the phenomenon being observed is likely caused by something, or some process, man hasn't seen before. It's 100% unknown.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Maybe its a massive armada surrounding the star? Hundreds of thousands of ships? Maybe its the entire population of a displaced alien species?

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

I miss Carl Sagan

Me too! He would label most of the scientists and also the posters to this thread as closed-minded. He would say that the phenomenon being observed is likely caused by something, or some process, man hasn't seen before. It's 100% unknown.

Exactly.. most likely not aliens. But totally unknown. Remember out of the 150k+ stars surveyed by Kepler, there has been nothing like this

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Once you eliminate what is not possible, what remains...

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 12:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: slip2break
I am shocked no one has posted this story yet... the short of it is that Kepler detected quite a bit of matter circling the star designated KIC 8462852 that cannot be easily explained by any known celestial mechanism. Something that appears to be reducing the amount of light reaching the earth by (if I am reading the paper correctly) 80% and has a duration of 5 to 80 days.

Paper Located Here
Summary Story from the Atlantic

Jason Wright, an astronomer from Penn State University, will be publishing a paper shortly exploring alternative interpretations of the light dips. To quote the Atlantic article:

Wright and his co-authors say the unusual star’s light pattern is consistent with a “swarm of megastructures,” perhaps stellar-light collectors, technology designed to catch energy from the star.

I follow these sort of topics , papers, etc pretty closely-- so I am caught a little off guard that this has been discussed in SETI circles for a few months now. Didn't see this posted anywhere on ATS-- which as I previously said, I find shocking---

It's going to take me a little time for me to get my head around this. In the mean time, have at it folks......

This is very interesting and exciting. On two fronts. First one, is that they cancelled out the most improble situation and can't explain for anything else.
The second, is that China is about to finish building their "The Five hundred meter Aperture Spherical Telescope (FAST; Chinese: 五百米口径球面射电望远镜)" Telescope. Much bigger than Arecibo in Puerto Rico.
We will see what happens....

Kratos

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join