It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If You're Young, The Job Outlook Is Grim No Matter Where You Live

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   

The world needs at least 600 million new jobs in the next decade for young people

SOURCE

The World Bank has an unsettling message for young people around the globe: Whether you're male or female, live in Tunisia or the U.S., you will struggle to find a job.

With the rise in automation I see the world for the young getting pretty bleak. More and more jobs are due to be automated into the future so I think we might see a very hostile bunch of young folks looking for meaningful employment and finding few opportunities. They may well have to invent or do artwork in order to survive. Growing a lot of their own food by aquaponics and other micro-gardens may be required for their survival.

edit on 10pm2015-10-13T16:11:05-05:00041110America/Chicago111031 by machineintelligence because: added a sentence

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: machineintelligence

The solution.

More people working less hours with full time moving from 40 to 30 hours without a cut in pay. The billion owners of the corporations and trillionaire bankers can afford it.

Automation should be improving the quality of life for all people, not making the top 1% wealthier.

edit on 13-10-2015 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Isurrender73

They certainly can afford it but will they when a machine can do the job better and has a lower overall cost?

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: machineintelligence
a reply to: Isurrender73

They certainly can afford it but will they when a machine can do the job better and has a lower overall cost?

A government of the people, by the people and for the people can make the changes necessary. Somehow we need to get representatives of the people in office. The corporate puppets have to go.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   
This is the age of entrepreneurship. People that are still looking to have a 'job', especially one that pays the bills, need to change with the times.

I quit my cushy, corporate job in 2005 and started my own businesses. It was tough for the first few years, but since then I haven't looked back.

Only entrepreneurship allows you to make exactly what you are worth and benefit 100% from the fruits of your own labor.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   
So are all those BLS statistics lies? I can't imagine having a job as a Gardener or selling organic food. I'd die of starvation! I need my dream job? How else would I sing to the world in disarray!

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Isurrender73

The solution.

More people working less hours with full time moving from 40 to 30 hours without a cut in pay. The billion owners of the corporations and trillionaire bankers can afford it.

Automation should be improving the quality of life for all people, not making the top 1% wealthier.

The "without a cut in pay" would be the miracle here.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Eventually we won't be able to afford to buy what they're selling...we are all tied together on the same ship...some might get wet sooner than others but we will all sink by the time it's over.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

The miracle is getting leaders in office who truly represent the majority of society. Everything else would be quite easy after that.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I think we're shifting to a new age. just like industrial age to information age, now it's information age to whatever is next.

The jobs will be in high technology, service and entrepreneurship.

However skills that our young people are missing will put you ahead of the competition...namely: Computer Literacy (not phone literacy), Typing (not texting) Writing professional emails and letters, Creativity and leadership, and basic MS Office skills.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
This is the age of entrepreneurship. People that are still looking to have a 'job', especially one that pays the bills, need to change with the times.

I quit my cushy, corporate job in 2005 and started my own businesses. It was tough for the first few years, but since then I haven't looked back.

Only entrepreneurship allows you to make exactly what you are worth and benefit 100% from the fruits of your own labor.

I think it is great that you have found a way in this world. And for many intellectual people like you it is merely a question of will.

But smart people often forget that many people are simply not born with the mind to do what you are suggesting.

We need a system for everyone, regardless of their mental aptitude.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Amen to that Brother. Best post you ever wrote!

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Just landed two more IT gigs starting within the week on top of my trade job that isn't going anywhere within the next 20 years.

I'm with 73 on this one, reassess the social contract and get a leash on corporations to do what they were intended... be a social benefit.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Isurrender73

I think it is great that you have found a way in this world. And for many intellectual people like you it is merely a question of will.

But smart people often forget that many people are simply not born with the mind to do what you are suggesting.

We need a system for everyone, regardless of their mental aptitude.

I'm not smart thought and that post was just an observation. What got me ahead, is the entreprenureal spirit...starting my own business 2 years ago, and getting ready to start another direct marketing/network marketing business that compliments it.

Before that it was basic skills, learning how to type and write business emails, and getting good at googling and hard work. Noone in any job I ever had was going to work harder than me, period.

There's so much more, but part of it is reading business and success books like they're going out of business etc.

I'm actually really stupid. My saving grace though is my favorite quote. "What one man can do, another can do" Then I figured out that I could read about how those people did what they did. It's really hard at times, You should see me with an excel spreadsheet or trying to figure out government paperwork, but in the end, I just keep pressing ahead. So can you.
edit on 13-10-2015 by amazing because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

I believe the technological age will also be the age of entertainment. And I don't mean home based entertainment. I am talking about state of the art gaming facilities, expanded access to paint ball and laser tag. Assument Parks, Sporting venues and sporting events. More Broadway style theaters for people to appreciate the arts.

With the right leadership these things are possible. It just takes a shift in philosophy to enact great changes in this amazing age of technology.

I imagine life more like the Jetsons and less like 1984.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Nnoooooottt. The money needs to circulate into the economy somehow!

Lack of understanding from a dead and dying perspective that's waaayyy out dated.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Quit being a jerk stealing all the jobs with your "hard work" attitude. Robots need jobs, too!

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   
So we're going to have 7 billion entrepreneurs?

Come on guys can't you see the flaw in your logic?

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Participation trophies?

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   

I would be considered a genius by most standards. I don't really have a problem taking care of myself.

I have been corporate level management in retail for a while and I can tell you that not everyone is capable of making it on their own.

You have far more will and intellect then you are giving yourself credit. I have worked with many who simply don't have it. Whether it's genetics or social I don't know for certain. But by the time they worked for me, they didn't have the mind to do much more than follow orders.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join