It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AP Exclusive: Clinton server's software had hacking risk

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   

WASHINGTON (AP) — The private email server running in Hillary Rodham Clinton's home basement when she was secretary of state was connected to the Internet in ways that made it more vulnerable to hackers, according to data and documents reviewed by The Associated Press.

Clinton's server, which handled her personal and State Department correspondence, appeared to allow users to connect openly over the Internet to control it remotely, according to detailed records compiled in 2012. Experts said the Microsoft remote desktop service wasn't intended for such use without additional protective measures, and was the subject of U.S. government and industry warnings at the time over attacks from even low-skilled intruders.

Records show that Clinton additionally operated two more devices on her home network in Chappaqua, New York, that also were directly accessible from the Internet. One contained similar remote-control software that also has suffered from security vulnerabilities, known as Virtual Network Computing, and the other appeared to be configured to run websites.

Not sure where this info is coming from, but it sure opens a wide conspiracy door.

Just the possibility of a remote control program operating on Hillary's server(s) suggests what many people suspect.

Could it be that Hillary herself or somebody inside her "office" was involved in "allowing" specific secret information to be obtained by outside interests?

What better way to get sensitive/secret info into the hands of foreign governments and/or corporations with vested interests than use a direct line that needs little or no verification, especially if somebody has passwords.

I suspect spying and corporate espionage at the highest levels.

And what makes the theories more believable is Obama himself (about the Hillary servers) said "national security wasn't endangered". We all know Obama often speaks in opposites !!

It might have been as easy as hillary@wideopenvpn

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I wonder if we will ever find out if that intelligence asset in Libya who's name she forwarded in her email, turned up dead.
edit on 13-10-2015 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   

LOL - you know what would be really funny - imagine if it was Edward Snowden that hacked her server, gleaned terabytes of the good stuff from the state department archives then shot through to Vlads pad.

Oh Hills, give it up, go home and retire and get Bill his slippers and pipe - unless he's still smoking cigars?

The Department of Homeland Security and FBI must be sharing a mega headache from face-palming hard over this potential security breach clusterflux by the then Secretary of State who has shown a new level of arrogant ineptness towards compewtas and da intawebz stuff and things.

**breaks out the gif that just keeps on giving**.....

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   
As someone with multiple years of IT under my belt, i'm going to go ahead and laugh at this article. This is just a slow news-day article that's designed to ruffle the feathers of people who are not in the industry.

Basically it's saying that the server was exposed to the internet through a misconfigured firewall. Yes, Microsoft's Remote Desktop Protocol isn't designed for direct internet access, but a lot (and I mean an awful lot) of companies configure their systems in this manner already - and - there are some safeguards that can be put in place that block access to the internal network before a person can use RDP.

Remote desktop, does not equal, remote control. If you're on a windows computer you have the RDP client already installed.

- Click start
- type "mstsc" without the quotes

You also have the RDP server (the boogieman that the article says that allows people to connect to her server) installed but how to enable it, isn't something that i'm going to cover as it's different for each version of windows. Just google "enable remote desktop" and include your version of windows in the search.

It's standard operating procedure to setup RDP for administrators to be able to connect remotely to servers and troubleshoot / maintain / configure them. Saves a lot of time and road rage to be able to work remotely.

The "Another server running a website" claim is also incredibly laughable. 99% of email systems (and i'll guess that she was running Exchange) have a webmail component to them. Those require a webserver to operate.

Seriously, this is just someone tossing more wood onto a fire so the uneducated can start drooling.
edit on 13-10-2015 by Evil_Santa because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Evil_Santa

+1 for the honest answer and saving me typing out all that stuff

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Hillary may have been a 'back door' for a Manchurian 'not even candidate'.

I never pictured her as being the back door for anyone.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Evil_Santa

Appreciate the IT background, but have you ever held a clearance / worked in a secured environment?

Honest question, because of your last statement saying this is just "throwing wood on the fire so the uneducated can start drooling".

People that have held clearances have been imprisoned for less than what Hillary has done - so even if this article is only restating the obvious, I don't see it as a laughing matter.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   
There's all kinds of easily available remote control software like TeamViewer

What IF she had all traces deleted when she claimed "personal" ?

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Hacking risk?

No. It was Hacked!

gawker.com...

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: SonOfThor

It wouldn't have taken you more than 2 minutes looking through my post history to:

A.) Realize that due to the mental health issues i've faced, i will never qualify for TS/SCI

B.) Think Hilary should be punished for conducting state, and classified business, off government resources.

My entire point was that people who lack the understanding of what is being discussed in the article, are commenting on it and their speculation is pretty far off the mark.
edit on 13-10-2015 by Evil_Santa because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Evil_Santa
As someone with multiple years of IT under my belt, i'm going to go ahead and laugh at this article. This is just a slow news-day article that's designed to ruffle the feathers of people who are not in the industry.

Basically it's saying that the server was exposed to the internet through a misconfigured firewall. Yes, Microsoft's Remote Desktop Protocol isn't designed for direct internet access, but a lot (and I mean an awful lot) of companies configure their systems in this manner already - and - there are some safeguards that can be put in place that block access to the internal network before a person can use RDP.

Remote desktop, does not equal, remote control. If you're on a windows computer you have the RDP client already installed.

- Click start
- type "mstsc" without the quotes

You also have the RDP server (the boogieman that the article says that allows people to connect to her server) installed but how to enable it, isn't something that i'm going to cover as it's different for each version of windows. Just google "enable remote desktop" and include your version of windows in the search.

It's standard operating procedure to setup RDP for administrators to be able to connect remotely to servers and troubleshoot / maintain / configure them. Saves a lot of time and road rage to be able to work remotely.

The "Another server running a website" claim is also incredibly laughable. 99% of email systems (and i'll guess that she was running Exchange) have a webmail component to them. Those require a webserver to operate.

Seriously, this is just someone tossing more wood onto a fire so the uneducated can start drooling.

I'm not overly tech savvy but from what I know, I tend to agree with this (and I'm not fan of Hillary or Obama). This doesn't sound like it was deliberate all this administrative stuff is pretty complicated and I'd be surprised if Hillary Clinton was really smart enough to understand what was going on there.

It really just sounds like it was set up by someone who didn't know exactly what they were doing.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   

They are merely letting Hillary" swing in the wind" as the old saying goes. You know what the final blow will be in this dripping of details to us over the months. It will be that she was hacked and the hackers know, and will always know, more about how she operated than us.

I think she has ego enough to go for, get and accept the nomination just see just how far she can go with it. I'll get slammed for saying this, but the way Obama reached the office and stays in office despite what is known about his record is quite enough for Mrs. Clinton to think that she can get by with much of the same brass.

(For those that scream and ask what Obama has gotten by with, I'll mention only the evidence that they can easily prove to themselves. That evidence is the phony birth certificate that the actual White House released.)

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   
But but but...Obama said ....! ! !

So whatever the opposite is true, we know the truth
is her server was a huge National Security Risk.
edit on 13-10-2015 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Evidence of a Federal Crime in Hillary's emails.

Yahoo, MSNBC commentary on the breaking news.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders

It really just sounds like it was set up by someone who didn't know exactly what they were doing.

Exactly the credentials one would expect of someone setting up an email server for the Secretary of State of the United States of America, right?

This is all someone has to look at to understand that something here stinks... a lot.

Or is Hillary that stupid?
edit on b000000312015-10-13T19:08:15-05:0007America/ChicagoTue, 13 Oct 2015 19:08:15 -0500700000015 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Right.
So this CIA human asset/informant, who's name Hillary Clinton forwarded from Blumenthal is more than likely 'dead meat', if Hillary was hacked.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Political parties in the WhiteHouse usually have two networks set up - one for official government business, and the other for personal party communications. Given the location - in her home basement (other reports say that it was on a bathroom shelf), she's perfectly entitled to configure it whatever way she wants. Sounds like it was personal cloud server, which wouldn't look any different from a current generation game console.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I'm impressed that people are still so concerned over a mail server given all the trouble our citizens face.

Plan working as designed.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Important Topic Updates

I knew it.

Obama was B.S.ing on TV about Hillary's server(s) ...

White House walks back Obama's Clinton email comments

The White House on Tuesday backtracked on President Barack Obama's blanket assertion earlier this week that Hillary Clinton's use of a private email server as secretary of state didn't pose a national security threat.

Asked outright in an interview on CBS' "60 Minutes," Obama said, "I don't think it posed a national security problem."

But asked how the President was able to make such a definitive statement even as the FBI is looking into the server's security, White House press secretary Josh Earnest clarified that Obama's statement was made "based on what we publicly know now."

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 10:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
I'm impressed that people are still so concerned over a mail server given all the trouble our citizens face.

Hillary cant relate to you, sorry.

Wall Street bed sheets have made her millions; she does not care about
the citizens, LOL. Maybe you should ask her how much her secret war
cost the lowly average American citizen.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join