It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Do We Hallucinate?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Thought this was quite an interesting article, it's not that long so give it the full read. A possible explanation into experiencing 'paranormal'?

For those with certain mental illnesses, like schizophrenia, perceiving things – sights, smells and tastes – that aren’t there can be a common, and often terrifying, experience that comes with psychosis, a loss of contact with external reality. But what underlies these psychotic experiences? A new study is offering us some insight, suggesting that people prone to psychosis display visual perception that favors prior knowledge, rather than the available incoming sensory evidence.

“Vision is a constructive process – in other words, our brain makes up the world that we ‘see’,” first author Christoph Teufel from Cardiff University said in a statement. “It fills in the blanks, ignoring the things that don’t quite fit, and presents to us an image of the world that has been edited and made to fit with what we expect.”

Why Do We Hallunicate?

edit on 13/10/15 by Death_Kron because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Interesting read, Kron...

As a schizophrenic on a ratio scale of 10...

Auditory hallucinations trump visual hallucinations 9:1, for me personally...

So while gains in visualised hallucinations help a little, I'm still left in limbo when it comes to hearing things.

Hopefully one day they can pinpoint exactly what is going on with us.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

CharlieSpeirs, I've been having that a fair bit recently. Only with colleagues though. I hear them say something and when I ask them what they said they say they didn't say anything.

Now, they are either lying or I'm psychic. I think the former is the most likely explanation but who knows.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I believe that the pineal gland plays a role in "hallucinations". Under stressful situations the gland synthesizes '___'. A break might actually be the onset of a psychedelic experience. Please read the article titled What a Shaman Sees In a Mental Hospital. It approaches this subject from a spiritual perspective. A world without shamanism is truly lost.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

So while gains in visualised hallucinations help a little, I'm still left in limbo when it comes to hearing things.

It doesn't totally explain anything but I thought it was interesting, in regards to audio hallucinations it explains even less but the sentence

“Vision is a constructive process – in other words, our brain makes up the world that we ‘see’,”
sparks my curiosity a little.

Maybe the same applies in regards to audio hallucinations (the article implies this process can be accounted for all types of hallucinations) combined with schizophrenia is your mind essentially 'creating' what you want or on the same note don't, want to hear?

I'll have to sit and think a little deeper to give a more detailed response or hypothesis.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

CharlieSpeirs, I've been having that a fair bit recently. Only with colleagues though. I hear them say something and when I ask them what they said they say they didn't say anything.

Now, they are either lying or I'm psychic. I think the former is the most likely explanation but who knows.

Sort of similar to what I said to Charlie, are you hearing what you do OR don't want to hear because your minds creating it? Filling in the blanks as the article implies..

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

Sorry to say, but the third option requires insight.

Healthy people should realize what it is immediately.

Mental illness entails a lack of insight, at least initially.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Your brain in wired differently. A brain scan will show anomalies in your brain activity. As your brain constructs your reality it does it in a way different than the majority of people. Your end reality is a little different then mine because the same information went threw two different processes for two different results. I often hear a voice in my head but I can control it and identify with it as part of myself or my inner being/consciousness.

Now I am assuming this here because I really don't know what it's like for you but your voices must seem foreign and unattached to you but very much real.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   
This thread fits into what I know about the subject. We see what we believe and see what we know. People all see things differently. Even something someone says to another person is interpreted by comparison against knowledge and beliefs that the person has accumulated. This seems to be a big problem in the world.

The ideals of society is to get people on an even keel, but it does not seem to work well. What is the right way and what is the wrong way. Now I believe that getting people to buy things they do not need is bad yet our society is full of people pushing unneeded products and services on others, in fact our society promotes this practice. So I am the one who is delusional with my beliefs because I am in contradiction to the beliefs of most. But as long as I do not say anything, nobody will have me medicated. I will keep my beliefs to myself.

I believe that the pharmacutical companies and doctors are pushing meds when they could give a person knowledge on how to balance their metabolic and hormonal systems but they are not in the business of curing people, just giving the patients the meds to correct the problems that improper diet has created. The imbalances do not need much change usually if they are identified. But most people believe that the doctors are there to fix them up and feel that their personal choices in diet caused their illness so do not even ask how to fix the problem and think that the pills are the only way to fix their problems. Sometimes that is the case, but actually most things can be fixed by small dietary alterations most times.

But I am delusional because I do not think like other people do, I actually have much of the knowledge that some specialized doctors have. But I do not make money off of others illnesses and do not desire to because I know it would corrupt me and make me normal. I do believe there are good doctors and also believe doctors are necessary but I do not believe in the way they are correcting the Illnesses.

I do not want to be a salesman selling things that people do not need. I sold in a home improvement center years ago and I would try to help people to get what they really needed and taught them how to do things on their own. I hated selling overpriced stuff.

But I am not normal, most people would sell something more expensive if they are getting paid on commission.

So basically in my eyes society has actually become delusional, believing a lie. But they are normal and I do not want to believe a lie.

So now that I have established I am not a normal American, I'm off to take a nap because I don't need to go out and work more to pay copays on medical bills and medicines. I do not need to keep up with the jones either, what I have is good enough for me.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Here's a different perspective. I've read that if the entire light spectrum were 600+ miles long, the human eye can only detect 1 inch of that as "visual light". Things like UV light and infrared light are normally completely undetectable to us (our eyes filter out UV rays when healthy).

But there are many animals that can naturally see them. Cats, birds, fish, and insects can generally see UV rays. In fact, cat urine glows in UV so it's like a glowing signpost to animals that can detect UV. Pit vipers can see infrared light, and it's believed that many migrating animals can detect magnetic fields (catfish & some sharks can detect magnetic fields too). And mantis shrimp can see something crazy like 9 more categories of primary colors that the human eye can't detect! (not 9 colors, but 9 primary colors like Red/Blue/Yellow and Cyan/Magenta/Yellow/Black.)

Something similar happens with sound. The average human can hear from 20Hz to 20,000Hz. The lower the hertz, the lower the sound. Human females can generally hear a slightly higher range than human males. Animals can hear drastically higher though. Some animals can hear in the 160,000-200,000 range! And elephants can also communicate far lower than 20Hz, which humans can only detect with special equipment.

So my point is this: Perhaps people hallucinate when they detect things that aren't normally detectable to humans? If a human could hear up to 60,000hz, we'd hear things no one else would hear. They'd think we were crazy even if we weren't. I know that sometimes it's just a temporary chemical imbalance in the brain. But there's no way that covers everything. (I also think many drugs temporarily allow us to detect these higher ranges of things, which our bodies aren't used to interpreting.)

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Last year after a brain haemorrhage I was put on high doses of steroids and morphine. I was hallucinating for about a week in hospital. I remember seeing lots of characters from the moss Isley bar scene from Star Wars at nights, I thought I was stuck in a Ukrainian bomb shelter and I was waiting for the emergency services to come and rescue me. I was trying to organise able bodied men to get help. I was absolutely off my head a terrifying experience.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese

Sorry to say, but the third option requires insight.

Healthy people should realize what it is immediately.

Mental illness entails a lack of insight, at least initially.

Option 3? I only listed two...

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Which is why I provided the third.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Death_Kron

8i don't share the OP link articles explanation of a 'prior knowledge' factor in hallucinatios

I myself a life long schizo... have been able to associate the visual anomaly of time-space drawing out the scene in front of me into a long spaghetti like tunnel vision hallucination (like the old pot usage days)

I was pushing a grocery cart down an aisle and suddenly the aisle is 100 yards longer, my equilibrium is messed up, the ringing -in-my-ears-goes-bonkers....shallow breathing, vertigo, weak-knees...................... what's UP?.

I found that microbes or germs from the dirty surfaces of those frozen food display cases were being swept up into the air in the vicinity I was approaching...there actually was a store employee that had both rags/buckets & vacuum cleaner 'cleaning' the display cases.

I connected the dots.... the hallucination was a defense mechanism generated by my brain because the normal 5 senses could not be able to pick-up the danger I was walking , without a care-in-the-world, into.

Hallucinations are part of Ones' Sixth Sense platform for survival... take care to HEED These para-normal alerts, my friends

Science, Religion, the oppressive slave-labor paradigm of socio-economic dominance by the elite class wants YOU to self denigrate the rare hallucination stage of knowledge-&-action-response that comes natural to a few of us.. to just being hocus-pocus, superstitious crappola (which it ain't)

originally posted by: woodwardjnr

Wow.... they doped you good, I too had a sub-arachnid hemorrhage of the brain some 19 years ago in Phoenix AZ...I refused to surrender in my NDE to an eternity of euphoria in the spirit realm so I was not about to get Zombi-fied in this world either.
Glad you made it to ATS

edit on th31144477269713442015 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

edit on th31144477301113502015 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Death_Kron

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

It doesn't totally explain anything but I thought it was interesting, in regards to audio hallucinations it explains even less but the sentence

“Vision is a constructive process – in other words, our brain makes up the world that we ‘see’,”
sparks my curiosity a little.

Maybe the same applies in regards to audio hallucinations (the article implies this process can be accounted for all types of hallucinations) combined with schizophrenia is your mind essentially 'creating' what you want or on the same note don't, want to hear?

I'll have to sit and think a little deeper to give a more detailed response or hypothesis.

The general idea is that our visual and audio senses take in raw data (photons = vision, audio = sound waves), but the brain has to convert those into neural inputs. Photons go into retinal cells tuned to particular wavelengths of light, but even then that information has to be converted to a higher level of representation (lines, curves, color) and the compressed like video (retina = 100 million cells, optic nerve = 1000 nerve bundles of 10,000 neurons each).

The visual system also has a habit of ignoring information that hasn't changed, and the peripheral cells of the retina are more sensitive to motion than to color, so filtering out of unused data is necessary. Your brain has to perform recognition on that information that gets through (segmentation from outlines, colors, contract, shape reconstruction from shading) based on past experience of objects seen before. So it does a best match between what was perceived and what it's most likely to be.

Ultimately, your visual part of your consciousness get a list of 20 objects with orientation, motion, linked to other information (name, purpose, owner, history).

For audio, a similar process happens, those sound waves get converted into frequency and amplitude, then those combinations are recognized as type of sound (music instrument, frequency, timbre), or person talking (gender, accent, speed, topic, words).

Become tired, and your visual system won't do any of this correctly, so you'll see flying red dragons instead of fire engines when you're driving home late a night.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

So my point is this: Perhaps people hallucinate when they detect things that aren't normally detectable to humans? If a human could hear up to 60,000hz, we'd hear things no one else would hear.

Well, several replies to that. There is a strong undercurrent of this odd belief on ATS that if something is "colored a color you can't see" it is invisible. Nothing could be farther from the truth. It would appear black, not transparent. So you can't have invisobeings of other colors that only schizophrenics can see.

More, I don't know anyone who can't tell what pitch someone is speaking in. It would be rather obvious to the person hallucinating that Mr Invisobeing was speaking in a tone that was far past the best coloratura soprano. Yet no one reports this. And it would be child's play to pick it up on instrumentation.

Finally, I know several schizophrenics, and when they're off their meds they don't hallucinate what you would consider things that are rational. They're not seeing invisobeings go about their normal routine, even if that routine might not be comprehensible to others. It's always Satan talking from light fixtures, or out of the sink drain, or it's ninjas in the trees or talking dogs or the like. Or voices telling them they're no good, or chanting nonsense phrases without end.

That's not the act of magic invisible beings. It's a short circuit upstairs.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 09:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

That kinda seems like a drop of dreamscape funneled into waking state. I've had experiences that were bizarre just before shifting into the zzzz, Glad I don't experience any of that on a regular basis.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

Brother, I don't know you "that" well but I have seen you over the years and read things about you, and you worry me the most man, I don't want anything bad to happen to you and I'm sorry about the relationship that went sour, I don't want to find you disappeared from ATS one day and it's very sad, and I just want you to know that i do care about you and I'm sorry for all the suffering you've been through and I hope that things turn around and that you are at least happy. Sorry for the rant I just wanted to say it so you know.
edit on 13-10-2015 by TechniXcality because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 01:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese

That kinda seems like a drop of dreamscape funneled into waking state. I've had experiences that were bizarre just before shifting into the zzzz, Glad I don't experience any of that on a regular basis.

I had a neighbor in Alabama who'd have to change meds occasionally as his body got used to the old ones. In the splice, the poor guy would tell you stories that would inspire Stephen King. "I don't think this is real...but what do you see in that tree?"

"Um, leaves? A squirrel, couple of birds?"

"I see people in the tree in Army uniforms"

"Pretty sure they're not there"

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 01:23 AM
link   

One time when I was in the army everyone was outside of the battalion smoking in the wood line I walked inside to the CQ desk briefly, then walked right back outside and everyone was gone everything was still, it freaked me out and I shook my head and poof everyone was there. I was like damn those ACU's really do hide the silhouette.
but I was in Germany so other things may or may not have been at play.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join