It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chief warns Lancashire Police will 'not be viable' after 2020 because of funding cuts.

page: 1

join
share:
CX

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I read this earlier and whilst i know there are cuts being made all over the country, to see it explained like this was an eye opener.

LANCASHIRE Constabulary will no longer be viable by 2020, with the force only responding to emergencies if cuts are given the go ahead, its chief constable has warned.

Steve Finnigan has said the county would be in jeopardy and the force — which covers areas north of Bolton, including Belmont, Edgworth, Chapeltown and Egerton — could become "a purely reactive police force", with potential cuts of between 25% and 40% that he described as "distinctly unfair".

Despite Lancashire Constabulary being one of the best-performing forces in the country, it is one of the hardest hit as a result of the funding formula review carried out by the Government.

The proposed changes to the way forces are awarded grant funding show that Lancashire will be the biggest loser, with an extra 13% cuts - or £24.8 million - on top of the £74 million already made.

The force has already given up 25% of its resource.

Chief warns Lancashire Police will 'not be viable' after 2020 because of funding cuts

A recative force only responding to emergencies? Look at what he is suggesting could be affected...

"I have no doubt lots more people would be at risk and harmed because of the sheer cuts we are describing to you."

He spoke of the various cuts that the force would have to make including the loss of neighbourhood policing and PCSOs to save £34 million, the closure of every single enquiry desk in the county, the vast majority of road traffic teams would be lost and the loss of the mounted and dogs team.

The cuts would see police officers slashed from 3,611 in 2010 to 1,699 in 2020, a reduction of 1,912 officers (53%).

Support units who deal with public order including drug raids and dealing with violent offenders would also go.

He added: "It wouldn't stop there we would have to take some dramatic cuts to that part of the business that deals with serious and complex crime.

"We would lose a serious proportion of our serious and organised crime unit targeting those criminals who cause the greatest harm.

What really gets me is that if the government had the balls to tackle the companies avoiding paying tax, we'd have the money to sort out the NHS and our emergency services.

If this outlook becomes a reality, i don't think it's unrealistic to say we'll see a massive rise in vigilantiism. If the police are not going to be policing our streets, someone will have to do it.

Then again, is this where the private security companies are waiting in the wings, ready to offer protection at a very reasonable rate?

Thanks but no thanks, i'll look after me and my own, but it's going to get bad for a lot of people who cannot look after themselves.

Maybe one day a politician will get mugged...then things would miraculously change.

CX.
edit on 12/10/15 by CX because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   
so in this case where does our "reasonable force" rule apply to personal protection when there is no viable
police force?

still there will still be plenty of funding for the speed cameras so thats ok eh!

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Without going into further detail in regards to myself (due to my current vetting level), this subject is very poignant isssue that is effecting police forces up and down the country.

What is happening is a two fold process. Firstly the civilian staff - call handlers, PCSOs, admin, HR etc are all being axed or outsourced. The services they provide will be taken over by private companies such as SSCL, Serco, G4S etc. Secondly older officers (those with 30+ years service - over pension age) are very expensive compared with the starting salary and reduced pension benefits of new officers. Plus they tend not to be mixed diversely. A regulation (called a19) can be used to make these redundant.

Sadly final salary pensions and benefits that staff and officers are used to are now a thing of past. A legacy that the future generations will continue to pay for (due to the extended ages people are living to) and are no longer affordable.

Civil Service organisations (by enlarge - i.e. councils, police services etc) are not very efficiently run. In the past money was thrown at them and they were ring fenced from cuts. Any changes would be caught up in red tape and unions. This has now changed, and in most cases has been needed in regards to updating technology and automating processes.

What you will eventually see on the streets however is a less visible police presence as they are caught up in stations after every call, doing the jobs that were previously done by civilians. Crime statistics (with the help of technology such as ANPR, CCTV, forensics) are supposedly decreasing, thus opens up the police services to these cuts.

I personally think that the police chiefs are 'preparing' for this to change and reverse direction so they have a case to put forward to the government for no more cuts.

My personal suggestion is that change does need to happen. I would take a private sector rather than public sector approach. Staff and officers need to be assesed and retained due to skills and experience, not by generic numbers. Police forces tend to be way too top heavy, with very expensive higher band civillian staff and senior police ranks not doing very much, that have rose to those positions during the 'golden years'. These need to be stripped out and are the main issue thats crippling police budgets.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: CX

Vote Conservative, the party of law and order!

Police forces throughout the country are being stripped to the bone.
The response times for anything other than serious crimes are pitiful.

Why are The Tories doing this?

Increasing crime will make people stay in their homes.
If they stay in their homes they won't meet up and discuss things like politics.
And the shout for more protection will increase and the sheeple will probably ask for their rights to be taken away.

And in this world where profit is God who will be surprised at the advent of private police forces?
And I wonder just who will be the major share holders in these forces?

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 03:01 AM
link   
When you ring up and tell them that you are being burgled just say that theres no rush and you'll sort them out with grandpa's old ww2 service pistol...2 mins later there will be about 10 cars outside with firearms officers galore and job done

The politicians hate the police but at the same time need them to enforce the rules and this sort of reactionary only service has been going on since really the 1980's as once the miners were sorted out theres no need for such a large slab of muscle

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 03:38 AM
link   
It's all part of the big society. Cameron's remedy for fixing the broken Britain he talked about. Voluntary police force made up from your local community by members who have a few hours to spare each evening. What could possibly go wrong?

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 07:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Maxatoria
When you ring up and tell them that you are being burgled just say that theres no rush and you'll sort them out with grandpa's old ww2 service pistol...2 mins later there will be about 10 cars outside with firearms officers galore and job done

The politicians hate the police but at the same time need them to enforce the rules and this sort of reactionary only service has been going on since really the 1980's as once the miners were sorted out theres no need for such a large slab of muscle

It started with the miners strike. Village policemen were drafted in from all around the country to supervise the picket lines. Politicians realized that they didn't need all those officers, so cutbacks were introduced afterwards. They centralized police stations later on and it keeps going on.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Not viable? I read somewhere, possibly the Daily Mail, that the ACPO (association of chief police officers) have, for decades, been siphoning off up to 1/4 of their annual budget each year into private high interest offshore bank accounts, which when challenged by MP's, they claimed was a fund for emergencies.

It was estimated to stand at a couple of billion £'s. They can't find out how much exactly, because, private and offshore.

I have no idea if this is true. If true that fund will ensure their viability for a few years yet.

new topics

top topics

join