It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School district bans Halloween to accommodate ‘cultural beliefs’

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Eh, I've seen worse, Gryph...

I was just surprised they had no sources or verifiable content.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

Goodnight, grandma...

If I wasn't here for the banter I wouldn't be here at all.

x
edit on 12-10-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: Spelling.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I'd like to say a few things.

First of all, I'll admit, I'm not a fan of Christianity.

All evil in the world, however, does not spring from Christianity.

I've never said that; I don't think it. I don't hate all Christians.

I do think there are many Christians in the United States who are used to being "in charge" and don't want to give that up.

Other people with other beliefs are expected to adjust to them.

However, in this country, the separation of church and state is fundamental.

I speak out against Christians (and anyone else) that's trying to trample the rights of Americans under their feet.

However, if my words here, either the ones I've said, or the ones that were twisted around, have offended any Christian ATS members, you have my apology. I do my best to stick to the observable truth.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

Eh, I've seen worse, Gryph...

I was just surprised they had no sources or verifiable content.

Still ... I won't be party to exposing ATSers to such vileness directly.

My god, such hatred exists in this world.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   

I've spent quite a bit of time defending Christianity from some of the haters on this site, not because I subscribe to that particular brand, but because I can't stand people just going online and bashing christians, jews, muslims, wiccans, what have you.
Even secular humanism has it's faults. Atheism, etc.

No one is perfect.

But I'll commend you for being impartial.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 09:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I've spent quite a bit of time defending Christianity from some of the haters on this site, not because I subscribe to that particular brand, but because I can't stand people just going online and bashing christians, jews, muslims, wiccans, what have you.
Even secular humanism has it's faults. Atheism, etc.

No one is perfect.

But I'll commend you for being impartial.

Thanks DB.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 10:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace
a reply to: BobbyRock

Someone call the Freedom from Religion foundation to sue this school district. This cannot stand.

Here is a quote from your linked article:

Victoria Johannsen is the mother of a third-grader at Live Oaks School. She tells Connecticut Post the decision to cancel was unfair to students who cherish the parades.

Well, you know what? Cancelling a Christmas play because of a nativity scene is unfair to the students who cherish the plays.

If I was channeling Dan O'Herlihy and was also a communist I would say
"The feelings of the many outweigh the laborious rehearsal of the few."
Oh, and Happy Halloween... being a lapsed Lutheran I also have a giant
axe to grind about Reformation Day... set up by a Viennese puppet.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

WE ALWAYS fight outnumberd and WIN.
If you're right ,you're right.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Ahhhh, the old war on Halloween. That crap has been going on since I was a kid in the 80's. The good old Satanic Panic. For a while there, I thought that crap died with the 80's metal bands, but it looks like they are alive and well. And extremely paranoid, as ever. Still believing the old Halloween poison candy myths, I see. LOL.

www.snopes.com...
www.livescience.com...

I haven't even finished carving my pumpkin and already, I'm blasted everywhere I go by Christians bemoaning the "War on Christmas" (not even really a Christian holiday in it's own right, but I digress). While waging war on Halloween, spouting the same terminal and willful ignorance of it's origins, customs, and purpose.

I would like to know more about the demographics of this school. That could tell us a lot about the source and real reasons for this ban. If it came from a parent/student complaint, then the complainant was more than likely Christian or Muslim, as those are the only two groups I know of who would have this sort of hissy fit on religious or cultural grounds, and the only two groups I have ever heard expressing offense by the holiday. Most foreign born children from other cultures, especially Mexicans, usually embrace the holiday, as their native cultures often have similar customs or festivals, like Day of the Dead. They are a very unlikely source of complaint. And Jews, unlike their Abrahamic cousins, seldom ever care what holidays the rest of us celebrate, as they have their own. So if it was a public complaint, it was most likely Christian or Muslim.

However, it is equally likely that no one complained, and this is an act of an over-zealous PC Brigade limp-leftist school board member seeing or anticipating offense where none exists. That happens way more than people realize. Some zealous little goody-two-shoes assumes that a certain group of people will be offended by something because they think they should be, when in actuality, said group of people are either supportive of or, apathetic towards, whatever the offensive thing might be. I've seen it happen a lot. A school that has Muslim students in it will decide to ban Christmas decorations because they believe the Muslim students will be offended, yet the students themselves either aren't bothered by them, or actually enjoy the decorations, and never even made a complaint.

Either way, its ridiculous.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Irked parents force Milford schools to reverse decision to end school Halloween parades

foxct.com...

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

The gist seems to be, religious students were being excluded - - because they couldn't participate in such evil as Halloween.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 12:03 AM
link   
hm .. i don't see much difference between Halloween Celebrations and Christmas Celebrations. Religious people argue about halloween being evil and sadistic, and Atheists argue about christmas and demand all references to christ being taken down. It's a no win situation. It doesnt matter who believes what because they're all going at it like rabid dogs whenever a holiday they don't like comes up.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 12:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: awareness10
Atheists argue about christmas and demand all references to christ being taken down.

Atheists lack belief in a god. Atheist does not mean anti-god.

Nativity scenes are illegal in schools. Its law.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Someone oughta' march down to that school and aggressively threaten the staff, telling them:
"Us pagans will be the majority one day!"

Well, if it's good for the goose.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 12:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlowNail
Someone oughta' march down to that school and aggressively threaten the staff, telling them:
"Us pagans will be the majority one day!"

Well, if it's good for the goose.

Didn't you follow the thread?

Halloween, it turns out, is a very important Christian holiday ...

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 12:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

The gist seems to be, religious students were being excluded - - because they couldn't participate in such evil as Halloween.

Yes, I get that, but who was the one making the complaint? Did religious families object to the school board, or did the school board assume they would object because they are religious and ban it despite no one saying anything? That was the point of my original question.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 12:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

originally posted by: Annee

Yes, I get that, but who was the one making the complaint? Did religious families object to the school board, or did the school board assume they would object because they are religious and ban it despite no one saying anything? That was the point of my original question.

Ahhhhhhh, I don't know yet.

I didn't find anything on the principle. Yet.

But. the superintendent of the district apparently was not informed.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Principals in the district had discussed the issue. They chose to focus more on education than on celebrating Halloween (whoever's holiday it is).

Of course, that won't fly. Suddenly Halloween was an "important American tradition" and as seen in this very thread, apparently, Halloween is a Christian celebration ... regardless of the fact that there are tons of Christians officially on the record stating that the holiday is demonic in origin.

So, of course, the school has to bow to the will of the most vociferous parents with their own agendas.

Those on the Right, of course, want to blame the evil Muslims or the evil Leftists or evil Atheists for taking away this important piece of Americana and Christianity.

I have a feeling it was the general matter of contentiousness, not the least of which is the result of many fundamentalist Christian beliefs, surrounding the holiday that made the administrators simply try to focus on, well, school.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 12:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
Principals in the district had discussed the issue. They chose to focus more on education than on celebrating Halloween (whoever's holiday it is).

Ya know, I actually agree with what they are saying.

I have no issue with a parade and celebration immediately after school.

I can understand why religious people could have an issue with Halloween.

I'm just not sure I believe them.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 01:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Oh, my own personal opinion is that by-and-large, the administrators should have anticipated blow-back and been prepared to hold the line if they felt this strongly about it.

Now, the vociferous parents know that they can cow the administrators into doing whatever they want.

I have no negative opinion about the American (secular) Halloween ... costumes, spooks, cartoonish "evil" ... candy.

I have no negative opinion about the American (secular) Christmas ... Santa, trees, lights, tinsel ... presents.

When either one brings in distinctive elements of any religion ... those elements don't belong in school.

I like Halloween, and always have. For years it was my only official holiday.

But, if it's contentious for some for whatever reason, keep it at home.

The Republic is not going to fall.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join