It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School district bans Halloween to accommodate ‘cultural beliefs’

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Halloween is BACK ON - Outcry in Connecticut brings back canceled Halloween parades
edit on 10122015 by BobbyRock because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: BobbyRock

Someone call the Freedom from Religion foundation to sue this school district. This cannot stand.

Here is a quote from your linked article:

Victoria Johannsen is the mother of a third-grader at Live Oaks School. She tells Connecticut Post the decision to cancel was unfair to students who cherish the parades.

Well, you know what? Cancelling a Christmas play because of a nativity scene is unfair to the students who cherish the plays.

edit on 10/12/2015 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Are some of you really trying to make the case that if a school or two decides to change or drop Halloween celebrations all together that it is somehow changing our culture?

Halloween should be celebrated at home or with your church group, or whatever floats your boat. If you are expecting institutions of learning to carry-on the culture your believe should be taught, then you must not be teaching the kids yourself as a parent.

The schools should teach facts. Families teach culture.

As a side note: Halloween is a BS holiday, right along with most of the others.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
They stopped doing a "Halloween" carnival at my grade school about 20 years ago due to militant Christian mothers claiming it was a "devil's holiday".

And yes, that is what they said and used to pressure the school into giving up the weekend Halloween carnival. My mother recently retired from there actually.

So the Christians claim there is a "war on Christmas" -- but how about Halloween? Sure seems like there's a war on Halloween to me...

At least with modern day political correctness

Whats good for the goose is good for the gander

Have to give modern day political correctness
kudos for that one,
even if I do think they are really nuts.

link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace
a reply to: Gryphon66

And time and time again the Freedom from Religion foundation has sued school after school in an attempt to force religion, a particular religion at that, out of schools. Time and time again I've read quotes, opinion pieces, bill boards, and other things all condemning religion being in the school system.

So now there's something wrong when another group, Christians, come out about not supporting Halloween?

Well, according to several posters above, Christians just Love Halloween, in fact, they invented it!

I haven't said anything about the ban on Halloween being "wrong."

So ... I'm not sure about your point.

Those groups you mentioned were trying to keep religious practices out of schools.

Wiccans don't celebrate "Halloween" as part of their faith.

Satanists don't celebrate "Halloween" as part of their faith (in general, unless they're menacing Christians for fun>)

So ... it's not a matter of someone trying to keep a religious observance out of school ...

Honestly, your point makes no sense. Can you be more clear?

link   

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: BobbyRock
Halloween is BACK ON - Outcry in Connecticut brings back canceled Halloween parades

Christ prevails!

The Saints can now dress as ghosts and goblins again!

LOL.

(I'm glad the silliness has ended ... at least in CT)

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

How did this get morphed into PC?

Just out of curiosity.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   

That is the general conclusion when a day is scrubbed to avoid making people feel bad. It is done out of need to be inclusive which is from PC culture. You include everyone, so if anything is done that exclusionary to even one person, then it should be avoided. You cannot celebrate that diversity.

It is a form of collectivizing thought and deed and culture.

link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
a reply to: lucia2389

Interesting.

What evidence do you have that the dissenters were Muslim?

What evidence do you or does anyone have that the dissenters were Christians?

link   
In my town schools and churches have been calling Halloween "Fall Festival" or "Fall Harvest Festival" for over a decade.

Only on written stuff. Everybody still calls it Halloween. Nobody considers this a big deal, and it barely qualifies for a chuckle. On Halloween night, many Christian churches have "Fall Harvest Festival" parties for the kids with all the "scary stuff', the usual things, to keep them from going trick or treating.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: grandmakdw

originally posted by: BobbyRock

Thanks for the update.

My Pleasure.....................

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: grandmakdw

a reply to: lucia2389

Interesting.

What evidence do you have that the dissenters were Muslim?

What evidence do you or does anyone have that the dissenters were Christians?

Christians, in my neck of the woods, hate Halloween. It started with first hand evidence, and a general suspicion.

Then I showed conclusively that there are many Christians, including national Christian leaders, who have condemned Halloween as demonically influenced.

Of course, the usual suspects chimed in to try to discredit what I was saying ... I can't imagine why.

Now, kindly answer a question for me: What evidence do you or does anyone have that the dissenters were NOT Christians?

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 05:30 PM
link   

a reply to: grandmakdw

How did this get morphed into PC?

Just out of curiosity.

That was my intention when I started the thread actually.

To point out the absolute ridiculous notion of banning
anything that just might, maybe hurt someones feelings,
or make one person feel left out.

How about banning football?
I feel really left out during football season,
I don't like watching football and it hurts my feelings
when people talk about it in front of me and I feel
left out.
See how insane it all becomes?

Regardless of who wanted to ban Halloween at the
school, it was ridiculous, and done in the name
of inclusiveness according to the Principal.
How insane and inane.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Oh, for goodness sake! We do not dislike Halloween, but we do recognize that it has darker, occult themes that might be inappropriate for small children. So yeah, some Christian groups do eschew it entirely. I've said that already, but others just prefer to control the event to keep the darker themes out of it. Some churches don't worry about it at all except to want to keep the kids off the streets and in a safe environment.

But, of course, Gryphon knows better than all of use because he Googled and found links that are anti-Halloween from some Christians groups.

I can Google and find links that are anti-Christmas from some Christian groups, too.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Samhain marks the beginning of winter, it is also the last spoke in the wheel, the end as well as a new beginning.
The spokes are not holidays, they mark a period, with samhain we enter the period of darkness in which the gates of the underworld and overworld open up.
Hence every year during the dark period you traditionally will see the perchten, people in dark clothes with their faces painted black and of course Sinterklaas/Wodan who leads the wild hunt.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

That is the general conclusion when a day is scrubbed to avoid making people feel bad. It is done out of need to be inclusive which is from PC culture. You include everyone, so if anything is done that exclusionary to even one person, then it should be avoided. You cannot celebrate that diversity.

Why not be more specific and accurate... that is the general conclusion among certain political factions that want to blame everything they don't like on the bugga-boo of "political correctness. "

Being "inclusive" is hardly from PC culture! "E Pluribus Unum?" "Love thy neighbor as thyself."

You just had a conniption because I have experienced a different way that the majority of Christians that I KNOW treat Halloween, and feel about Halloween. You basically accused me of lying.

I gave you evidence, which you ignored.

And now you guys want to pivot to "Political Correctness."

It's sad, Ketsuko. I genuinely feel bad for you guys.

The world is not out to get you. Liberals are not out to take Halloween (or Christmas) away.

It saddens me that you and others live in that world.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: earthling42

You sound like a Wiccan or Mother Goddess worshipper.

Can you comment on whether the American version of Halloween shares very much with the religious celebration of Samhain?

I'm not aware of any religion that celebrates Halloween, except apparently, according to some here, it's a Christian holiday.

/eyeroll

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Why not be more specific and accurate... that is the general conclusion among certain political factions that want to blame everything they don't like on the bugga-boo of "political correctness. "

Being "inclusive" is hardly from PC culture! "E Pluribus Unum?" "Love thy neighbor as thyself."

You just had a conniption because I have experienced a different way that the majority of Christians that I KNOW treat Halloween, and feel about Halloween. You basically accused me of lying.

The world is not out to get you. Liberals are not out to take Halloween (or Christmas) away.

But in this instance, they did try to take
Halloween away in the name of inclusiveness
and not hurting anyones feelings.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   

This is the most hilarious thing I've ever seen you post! And I didn't think you had a sense of humor. lol!

Want to take Halloween away? Because some group somewhere gives a thumbs down? That's just absolutely silly.
edit on 10/12/2015 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join