It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School district bans Halloween to accommodate ‘cultural beliefs’

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
a reply to: Gryphon66

Milford School Reverses Its Stance - Halloween Back On!

This is not the first time a Halloween grinch has visited Milford. About a decade ago, the issue came up when Bishop Jay Ramirez of the city’s Kingdom Life Christian Church spoke out against the holiday, asking why witches were allowed when religious celebrations were verboten. (Ironically, Halloween has Celtic roots, but also a definitive Christian influence.)

I saw that the celebration was back on!

Good find on Bishop Ramirez ... as I suggested early on, the "issues" being addressed might have been trying to address the religious concerns of Christians ...

Ah well. The kids get their holiday. Let's hope as few people as possible are "offended" religiously or otherwise.

Thanks for the confirmation, Heretic.

edit on 9Tue, 13 Oct 2015 09:19:16 -050015p0920151066 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

You know, people believe what they want to believe, and see what they want to see. People now live within their own notions about what the world is, and is not. We develop walls around our ideologies and they seem almost impenetrable these days.

Conversation seems moot. The truth is not trendy. Everybody talks. Nobody admits they are wrong. It's a strange new world.

*** just thinking. Not specifically addressed at you. But we seem to not take into account anymore that there are two sides to every thought, action, and theory. We hang in there with what we know, or think we know. We cling to it as though there are no other answers, or can't accept that we might be wrong. I don't want to become that..... person, and don't think I am. My mind knows it is not always right, and it doesn't need to be. For others, it the reason to survive. To feed an ego until it is obese. The internet is the most perfect reflection of this.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Milford School Reverses Its Stance - Halloween Back On!

This is not the first time a Halloween grinch has visited Milford. About a decade ago, the issue came up when Bishop Jay Ramirez of the city’s Kingdom Life Christian Church spoke out against the holiday, asking why witches were allowed when religious celebrations were verboten. (Ironically, Halloween has Celtic roots, but also a definitive Christian influence.)
“A lot of children from Christian backgrounds feel uncomfortable during Halloween.”

It's interesting when the PC shoe is on the other foot, huh?

Those damn Muslim Leftist Libtard Progressives...

Oh that bold is mine... Bazinga.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

... and I'm Scot-Irish too!

I guess I'm guilty from all sides, eh?

I'm just glad the matter was cleared up. Now kids can eat candy, Christian or otherwise. LOL

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   
originally posted by: Gryphon66

I knew I liked you for a significantly genetic reason.

I guess I'm guilty from all sides, eh?

That makes both of us my Celtic kinsman.

I'm just glad the matter was cleared up. Now kids can eat candy, Christian or otherwise. LOL

LoL from reading Benevolent's source I'd guess that a good portion of the petitioners were Christian themselves...
So fair play to them.

We did state numerous times that it would likely be a fringe denomination spoiling the party for all.
Shame some couldn't see that as anything but an attack on Christendom as a whole.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   

IF I were going to attack Christendom (Love that term) ... I wouldn't have done it here.

Not enough data. All we had from the school board was "religious concerns."

Can't point out that some Christians have ... rather odd beliefs though ... demons in Twix bars and such. That's an attack on all Christians everywhere and will be met with LOL swift reprisal.

I'm very honored to have your kinship as it were.

May the Road rise up to meet you. LOL

(Not in an abrupt or violent way, of course ... )

edit on 10Tue, 13 Oct 2015 10:33:08 -050015p1020151066 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

Me, too (mother's side).

Countrymen!

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Indeed!

May we all be in Heaven half an hour before the devil knows we're dead!

So to speak.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 11:57 AM
link   
"I HEREBY DECREE BY MUNICIPAL FIAT THAT THE CHRISTIAN HOLIDAY (HOLY-DAY) SHALL BE BANNED DUE TO ITS BEING OFFENSIVE TO THE NON-CHRISTIAN POPULACE!!!"

(>psst psst. it's not Christian. More Druidic and stuff.)

Oh.

"HALLOWEEN'S BACK!"

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: yeahright

It seems it was actually banned due to Christian objections of the past.

Turns out there's enough political correctness on ALL sides!!

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
a reply to: Gryphon66

Second, Christians in and around Atlanta (north-central Georgia) northern Alabama, Florida ... have been on about the Devil's holiday for years. It's the basis of the "trunk or treat" activities around here.

Can you calm your ego and Christian bigotry down long enough to realize that these things, church parties, school parties, trunk or treat have been created by groups of people to protect their children from receiving dangerous or contaminated candies?

Many Christians most definitely have created alternative celebrations for Halloween specifically because they believe the holiday has Satanic or occult overtones. Perhaps you don't live in the Bible belt and haven't run into this. Check the web.

I remember running into pressure about this quite a bit when my children were young twenty years ago. At that point a neighboring town had even banned celebrating Halloween on these grounds and made it illegal to be on the streets in a costume during the holiday.
edit on 13-10-2015 by DelMarvel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   

a reply to: yeahright

It seems it was actually banned due to Christian objections of the past.

Turns out there's enough political correctness on ALL sides!!

What do you mean it seems?

You really gonna say that since in previous years some xitians have bitched about Halloween that now suddenly the world is now adhering to some cry from the past? You know that is not valid and the hate is spreading.

You peeple have to find a stopping point before you lose all semblance of life as we know it.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Squirlli

I THOUGHT America was supposed to be a melting pot of cultures and beliefs. Like a big 'ol pot luck of freedom.
That it was not only allowed but ok to openly and freely practice your religion and cultural practices here in America without fear of persecution. within reason. Not that Halloween is a religious practice (though have you seen how some people decorate?)

It is. But, this thread is about participation in a public (government) school.

Christmas trees are allowed because they have been accepted by society as multi-cultural.

Nativities are not allowed because they are specific to one religion.

So, then we have Halloween. Some children can not participate because of religious belief. Is this a problem that should fall under Separation of Church and State?
edit on 13-10-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

What should we do with the people in gov. buildings that think about anything related to religion?

Maybe we can just issue atheist hammers and they can go around nailing people in the head if they think ,speak or teach anything to do with religion.

edit on 13-10-2015 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

You know, people believe what they want to believe, and see what they want to see. People now live within their own notions about what the world is, and is not. We develop walls around our ideologies and they seem almost impenetrable these days. Conversation seems moot. The truth is not trendy. Everybody talks. Nobody admits they are wrong. It's a strange new world.

Wow, that's just so true its amazing you reduced it to these short sentences. And the lack of any real substantive conversation in the remnants of civil society contributes greatly to the "creep" factor. It is indeed a strange new world.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadeyedick
a reply to: Annee

What should we do with the people in gov. buildings that think about anything related to religion?

Maybe we can just issue atheist hammers and they can go around nailing people in the head if they think ,speak or teach anything to do with religion.

Ridiculous.

Simply ridiculous.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   

It's that discomfort with some of Halloween's themes that first led churches to start trunk-or-treat events in the late 1990s, according to Halloween historian Lesley Bannatyne.

"A trunk or treat became a very gentle and kind and child-friendly way to deal with the fact that the church didn't approve of Halloween," Bannatyne says. "It's very similar to Halloween, and you don't give away any of the great stuff like costumes and candy, but you can control it and keep away the imagery that you don't like."

www.npr.org...

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   

What do you mean it seems?

I mean it appears to be... See this post: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Halloween is back on!

You really gonna say that since in previous years some xitians have bitched about Halloween that now suddenly the world is now adhering to some cry from the past?

Well, not the world, but this school district.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Um... Nothing?

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: grandmakdw

That's about the dumbest thing I've heard of. But I suppose that schools should (if they want to be PC) operate 5 days a week, 52 weeks a year with no holidays. Just give children vacation days like regular adults. Use them at their own discretion. No holidays, no time off. Why do they even need to take summer off? Wasn't that so kids could work on the farms?

this isn't about being PC...it's a very lame attempt to placate whiners.....geez, I'm a democrat, and this is just absurd...let the kids have some fun....we used to do this in elementary school and if was perfectly fine...it was a way to get to know other kids by seeing what others wore, for the teachers to have some fun with students, and it only is for one day.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join