It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pretty cool piece of Billy The Kid Americana recently surfaced...

page: 1

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Pretty cool! This guys bought this pic in a lot for $2 and it is one of only 2 known pics of Billy the Kid.....now about to sell for $5Million.

Anywho...I thought this was a really interesting insight into The Kid's life....playing croquet!

I love stuff like this.

Source

A rare coin dealer in California has concluded that a grainy image of legendary gunman Billy the Kid playing croquet is the real thing and could be worth as much as $5 million.

That is not bad for a photo purchased by Randy Guijarro of Freemont, Calif. for $2 as a part of a miscellaneous lot at a Fresno junk shop in 2010, according to Kagin's. The company is negotiating a private sale of the photo.

The only other known photograph of Billy the Kid is a portrait of the outlaw taken in Fort Sumner, NM in 1880. It sold for $2.3 million to Palm Beach, Fla., businessman William Koch in 2011 at Brian Lebel’s Annual Old West Show and Auction in Denver. In that photo, Billy is packing a Colt revolver and trademark 1873 Winchester carbine rifle.

He is on the left in the top hat.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Very cool I'd say.

A photograph of a croquet playing outlaw, isn't something you see everyday.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe
The only way it could get cooler is if the guy on the right was Pat Garrett.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978
Very cool I'd say.

A photograph of a croquet playing outlaw, isn't something you see everyday.

Ugly f###er though isn't he? Doesn't help the next casting department to get someone to play him.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   
2a reply to: uncommitted

Yeah he's a dead ringer for Emilio Esteves, aint he? Still loved young guns though.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Is this one of the first paparazzis? They don't look too happy. Maybe their tough image is under threat playing a game like croquet.

I love American history and particularly characters like Billy the kid. However when it comes down to it. He was most likely a nasty young murderer who made a lot of widows and many more miserable.

But then again someone who plays croquet can't be all that bad?

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 05:33 PM
link   

That is really bad-ass, though he was a cold blooded killer, Americana type pieces really show the rich culture that framed us as modern day Americans, the reason we are hated and revered.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   

I believe that's Billy the Kid in the middle, holding his club to his waist while watching Annie Oakley give the wood a whack. Jesse James, brooding, looks on (far right).

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheLieWeLive
The only way it could get cooler is if the guy on the right was Pat Garrett.

Can't be Pat...

Pat would sneak up behind him.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   
"I'll make you famous"

Thanks for posting the pic, I'm a sucker for historical Western images ...

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Here is the full photo:

The amount of research that went into authenticating this is pretty cool too:

“We had to be certain that we could answer and verify where, when, how and why this photograph was taken. Simple resemblance is not enough in a case like this - a team of experts had to be assembled to address each and every detail in the photo to insure that nothing was out of place,” he continued. “After more than a year of methodical study including my own inspection of the site, there is now overwhelming evidence of the image’s authenticity.”

McCarthy said experts began believing the tintype was real after they were able to determine that four people in the photo - using facial recognition software - were those who spent time with Billy the Kid. Then, they began looking for events in which they were all together around that time.

They stumbled upon a diary of Sally Chisum, in which she described a cattle drive featuring all the players in the photo as well as a wedding that took place between Charlie Bowdre (seated on the horse in the photo) and his wife Manuella.

The cattle drive helped researchers narrow the location of the photo to New Mexico and the former ranch of one of Billy the Kid's employers, John Tunstall. But to confirm the site of the photo, McCarthy actually flew out to the site near Roswell and examined a building that turned out to have been built "over and around" a structure that was actually in the photo.

“I was standing at an angle from the building and I could see the texture of the stucco on the front of the building,” McCarthy said, adding they were tipped off by an investigator who saw what the thought was a building from the photo on ranch. “You could see the vertical wooden supports through the stucco and I
looked at the picture and they were in the exactly the same place. I was amazed. That clinched it.”

Kevin Costner will narrate and produce the two-hour documentary for National Geographic Channel, covering Western Americana enthusiast Randy Guijarro’ s odyssey to authenticate this unique photograph. The documentary will also feature extensive interviews with a variety of experts in digital facial
recognition, antique photography, geographic positioning, and vintage croquet sets.

“The historical importance of a photograph of Billy the Kid alongside known members of his gang and prominent Lincoln County citizens is incalculable - this is perhaps the single most compelling piece of Western Americana that we have ever seen,” Kagin's President Donald Kagin said, in the press release.

And there will be a NatGeo special on it airing this Sunday:

The 4x5-inch tintype – which depicts Billy the Kid and several members of his gang, The Regulators, relaxing in the summer of 1878 - will be the subject of a two-hour documentary airing Sunday on the National Geographic Channel.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 08:52 PM
link   
You see the size of that chicken??

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 12:05 AM
link   
a reply to: IridiumFlareMadness

You see the size of that chicken??

they get that big in the spirit world you a@@hole.
that's how come they ain't killin ya, you heathen.

the butterflies get pretty freakin big too.

edit on 13-10-2015 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality

That is really bad-ass, though he was a cold blooded killer, Americana type pieces really show the rich culture that framed us as modern day Americans, the reason we are hated and revered.

You know 'revered' means worshipped/idolised, right?

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 10:24 AM
link   
That's awesome...

Really have nothing else to add.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   
His right hand and smallest finger appear to be bandaged, or that is a long shirt sleeve cuff ! There is also an unusual among of " roll" around the waist and some type of whiteish material emitting from between his lower two buttons....... maybe his longhorns, hmmm.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 05:25 AM
link   
That was supposed to say "longjohns" ......not longhorns !

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 06:43 AM
link   
I'm wondering what the guy is pointing to?

Looks like the supposed "kid" can't get a break on photos, either that or he has a large chew in his mouth.

It seems like an odd photo being that everyone is spread out.
edit on 14-10-2015 by 38181 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join