It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deleting genes could boost lifespan by 60 per cent , say scientists

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: GetHyped

originally posted by: enlightenedservant
Kind of like how doctors thought the appendix was useless. But now they've realized it's actually quite beneficial.

Until it explodes and you die.

If that's the criteria, we should remove our hearts because heart disease & heart attacks can kill us. Oh wait...

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I need extra dna, not less !!

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: nullafides

I hope the day doesn't come for you, as it has for me, where you begin to lose your rose colored glasses view on the world.

You hope the day comes when people that don't see life as a terrible cesspool, start to. That's grim, dude.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 11:10 PM
link   
First of all, always hold articles in newspapers and popular science mags as suspect. Most of the time they 1) sensationalize (sells more mags) and 2) they rarely get the subject of the article factually correct.

Secondly, if you’re gonna post a comment about the article, at least read it first. Just reading the title of the thread don’t count.

Third, if you don’t understand the article, don’t just makeup stuff because you think it sounds cool or fits a particular bias/agenda.

OK, I got that outta my system.

Now, I didn’t understand the article either.
However, I didn’t read anywhere in it where they claimed to have found the Fountain of Youth, or a magic bullet, or any particular solution to ageing. They simply claim to be taking a different (more general) approach to the problem and have found some interesting results in yeast cell specimens. Whoop-Dee-Doo!! In any case, even though they’ve spent 10 years on this project, it sounds like they’re finally just scratching the surface. Or milking the grant. Even if they’re on the right track, though, it’ll still most likely not be available to Humans in our lifetimes (unless you’re a rich Human).

All I can figure is the Telegraph was having a slow science day and used this research as a filler. Nothing to get excited about.

Now, ignore the 3 points I made at the top of this post and go ahead and makeup stuff. It’s more fun that way

Peace...

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Your point doesn't even make any sense whatsoever.

Appendicitis is a treatable disease that results in the appendix being removed. Otherwise, you die.

What on earth does that have to do with your ridiculous strawman?

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: GetHyped
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Your point doesn't even make any sense whatsoever.

Appendicitis is a treatable disease that results in the appendix being removed. Otherwise, you die.

What on earth does that have to do with your ridiculous strawman?

Me: Doctors used to think the appendix is useless. Now they know it has a function.

You: Until it explodes and you die.

(Clearly the appendix doesn't always explode & kill us. Therefore you were obviously talking about when the appendix suffers a potentially fatal disease or condition.)

Me: If that's the criteria, we should remove our hearts because heart disease & heart attacks can kill us. Oh wait...

(I used your criteria of an organ suffering a potential fatal disease or condition for 2 reasons.

1. To show that any organ can potential cause death, so picking at my example doesn't disprove that the appendix has a purpose. After all, we can always get heart transplants or pacemakers if our hearts "explode & we may die".

2. To go back to the original point of my post, which was to say we shouldn't just remove parts of our DNA because we still don't know all of the repercussions. Removing something just because we can doesn't make it a smart decision, just like removing our hearts because we can doesn't make it a smart decision.)

You: Your post doesn't make any sense, blah blah blah, strawman.

By following the flow of our conversation, my post both "made sense" and was on topic. I even used your criteria to make my point, which clearly was overlooked. We good now?

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lucid Lunacy
a reply to: nullafides

I hope the day doesn't come for you, as it has for me, where you begin to lose your rose colored glasses view on the world.

You hope the day comes when people that don't see life as a terrible cesspool, start to. That's grim, dude.

I never once said it wasn't grim.

I remember once back in the mid 90's, I went to the dentist for some fillings. The dentist was proud to offer me the sony walkman they had bought, as so many people are afraid of the dentist didn't want to hear the noise of the drilling that came with treating cavities.

I declined. There was simply no way I could not allow myself to "know" what was happening.

To me, truth, and understanding, is the single most beautiful thing there is.

One of my favorite quotes ever..is by Voltaire. "Illusion is the first of all pleasures".

What I'm getting at, is don't sugarcoat it for me. I'm an adult. I've learned the hard way. People, Society, Corporations, Governments....they'll screw you the moment you are no longer useful to them, I've learned this time, and time, and time again. Sure, people want to do the "feel good" thing and help out in some way. But, when push comes to shove....and they don't know you or your loved ones....they'll help their own. And sometimes, that's ok. Sometimes, you're left bent over, pants down...still feeling the firm grasp of someone on your hips. I make no apologies for this viewpoint. It's what I've learned in my 46 years of life.

I try to be a good person. I do. I have exceedingly heavy leanings towards Buddhism, although I am loath to call myself an "anything". One of the main principles in Buddhism, is that by not wanting, you will be happy.

By accepting the way things truly are, it does not surprise me. I am not left wanting to know "why".

I am far happier this way. YMMV.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join