It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ironman Talos Suits Coming in 2018

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   
The Pentagon division known as SOCOM (Special Operations Commander) is revising its LandWarrior program by getting back into TALOS suit business. Talos stands for Tactical Light Operator Suit and it will be operational for use by the DEVGRU aka SEAL team 6. SOCOM is collaborating with the DARPA Warrior Web Project to enlist the aid of nearly 100 different corporations and government agencies in development of the project. TALOS is being designed with an "open systems architecture", so if a new technology rises, it can be swapped in.

Here are the specs for the 1st generation TALOS:

Ballistic body armor covering about 60% of the operator, or three times more than current coverage
An even broader exoskeleton to distribute weight evenly across the wearer
An armored helmet integrating communications and optical gear
A power supply to run electronics and the exoskeleton for up to 12 hours without recharge
And all at a total system weight of less than 400 pounds

The stated aim is to have the first independently powered prototype in use by late August 2018; that's less than 3 years. 3-D printing will be used for some of the suit fabrication and I think this is why the suits will be able to come to fruition on such an immediate scale. These suits will be a real gamer changer and I think warfare will never be the same, but even deeper than that this tells me that the plan is for more war in the future. What says ATS?

www.fool.com... feed&utm_campaign=article&ref=yfp

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   
as long as we don't end up with Robocops in our neighbourhoods it's all gravy.

And all at a total system weight of less than 400 pounds

I feel for the soldier who has to lug around 400 pounds not including supplies on the battlefield.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   
So um yeah if this material isnt being used then something is wrong.

Boeing: Lightest. Metal. Ever

We also need it to be invisible and bullet proof.

Also will need lasers and be able to fly in order to make it even the least bit useful!

edit on 12-10-2015 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   
They've been talking about all this fancy futuristic soldier tech for decades. Does anyone remember "Future Warrior"?

I think these projects are just a way to justify DARPA funding, and maybe every now and then a tiny sliver of the technology makes it out into the real world.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

This is just the first generation of suits. The next wave will be lighter, stronger, and way more advanced.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   
WHy not just make bipedal humans sized robots? Using telepresence or giving them commands with a live soldier directing them onsite? Put them in the exosuits for more survivability. A Terminator looking robot will scare the brown pants of of most soldiers and or people on a battlefield. That white toothy smile....liek a shark. Those shiny metal parts that only a tank could love. isnt it beautiful? sniff.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I think innovation is great, but instead of finding better ways to kill each other, why can't we find better ways to live with each other?

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Make robots that teach humans how to be...human LOL.

I've noticed we are behaving more like machines and our machines are being taught to act more like humans. Maybe one day an AI will be teaching a young child what "love" is and how humans used to have this emotion...

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

I've noticed we are behaving more like machines and our machines are being taught to act more like humans. Maybe one day an AI will be teaching a young child what "love" is and how humans used to have this emotion...

Isn't that indicative of how inhumane we've become when we have to create a science to discover humanity.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
I think innovation is great, but instead of finding better ways to kill each other, why can't we find better ways to live with each other?

I think that would be best, but I doubt we will move onto helping each other, at least not until we blow the old system sky high through dense ignorance.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I always wonder why they dont talk to the people who actually designed the stuff for the movies

A lot of the times they have working models or at least insight on how this stuff works, its what they do for a living, then adapt that to military application

Seems a lot easier, then trying to reinvent the wheel

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
I always wonder why they dont talk to the people who actually designed the stuff for the movies

A lot of the times they have working models or at least insight on how this stuff works, its what they do for a living, then adapt that to military application

I dont see why everything in live die repeat isnt possible now, I think they could do alot better than what was in that movie. They need full body protection and flight.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

I dont see why everything in live die repeat isnt possible now, I think they could do alot better than what was in that movie. They need full body protection and flight.

Agreed. These suits should cover 100% not just 60% of the body.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Did anyone look at the price tag of these suits?

They are not cheap.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

They are not cheap.

They should be for what they do right now, Japan has one for like 5000 bucks each, so they should each be twice that price and be twice as good.

Why pay more for stuff that doesnt work as well as the cheaper better version?

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   

They are not cheap.

They should be for what they do right now, Japan has one for like 5000 bucks each, so they should each be twice that price and be twice as good.

The way I see it, the Talos suit will be light years more advanced than the ones made by the Japanese. Theirs are only made for providing support when lifting heavy objects.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

Agreed. I have no idea why they don't. We could certainly make our space ships look cooler than we do.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   

They are not cheap.

A little more than twice the price.
What I saw was a price tag of....
80 million dollars.
funker530
We know that old saying... if you have to look, you can't afford it.
I can't afford it.
edit on b000000312015-10-12T15:21:29-05:0003America/ChicagoMon, 12 Oct 2015 15:21:29 -0500300000015 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

I can see it now... RObotech used as a teaching tool. Teacher: Do you remember love ?

I got a better idea. ANd using that new lightweight material thats lighter than steel but 100,000 times stronger is a good start.

edit on 15000000pppm by yuppa because: added idea

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   

There are plenty of constructive applications for any technology.

edit on 12-10-2015 by DayKnightmare because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join