It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fallout 4 PC Requirements Released

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 07:55 AM
link   
So Bethesda finally released the specs required and recommended for Fallout 4 back on October 8th.

Here's a linky to the page:

Bethesda Support

And here we go: The requirements...

Minimum Specs:

OS - Windows 7/8/10 (64 bit)
CPU - Intel Core i5-2300 2.8 GHz or AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0 GHz
RAM - 8 GB
HD - 30 GB free space
Video - nVidia GTX 550 Ti 2GB or AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB

Recommended Specs:

OS - Windows 7/8/10 (64 bit)
CPU - Intel Core i7-4790 3.6 GHz or AMD FX-9590 4.7 GHz
RAM - 8 GB
HD - 30 GB free space
Video - nVidia GTX 780 3GB or AMD Radeon R9 290X 4GB

Now...I'm not sure, but I am sure someone here on ATS most likely knows: is this the first major game release out there that actually REQUIRES a person's OS to be 64 bit? (not a problem for me at all, just curious as I remember years back wondering when this would finally happen).

I'm pretty much set, except for the video card. Mine is a Radeon HD 7700 1GB. The memory alone on it fails to meet the minimum required (which I'm not surprised at that, as I've been expecting new games to require more memory on the video cards).

However, what is interesting is the card models themselves: Both my wife and son have nVideo GTX 550 Ti cards.....but my HD 7700 runs circles around them. As a mater of fact, my son's GTX 550 Ti is a hand-me-down from me, as my card was considered an upgrade.

Even so, I've tried playing games on minimum specs and the experience normally does not end well for me, hehehehehehe.

So looks like I'll have to shell out the money for a new card before I can expect to be wandering the Wastelands in the new Fallout.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Ark Survival Evolved is 64 bit only and I don't think they plan on releasing a 32 bit version.

ETA.. I think the biggest performance boost you can give your machine for not too much money is to go for an SSD. I recently bought one to install games on and the increase in performance was massive.
edit on 12-10-2015 by Flatcoat because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I have always said Bethesda should have released true 64 bit versions of Fallout 3 , Fallout NV , and Skyrim . Why not Fallout 4 ? Its about time. Other companies have a big "jump" on them.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   
honestly it's the first time i hear it stated "officially"
although, some games, like far cry 4, require an i5 as the minimum cpu, and from what i remember i5 are all 64 bit.
so maybe it's just a different way of putting it.

And as you know, those specs are usually more of a rough indication.
that game is on my list, but i won't be a day one player, because let's face it, just like with skyrim, it's all about the modding community!
the thing that seems off to me is that the visuals do not justify the required specs, the game looks dated, skyrim also looked dated for a 2011 game, i am starting to think they put less effort into that aspect because they know the modders will polish the game for them.
So maybe wait a little, and some unofficial performance patch will allow you to play above the minimum settings

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Hmm, looks like my 760 is borderline. I was looking for a reason to upgrade about a month ago. But figured I'd tough it out for another year. Seems that might not be feasible now.

Well, off to go card shopping. Was looking a few months ago at the 980ti, but maybe I should just bite the bullet and get a titan.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Yah, I won't be a Day One player either, mainly because I promised my son I'd get it for him first, hehehehehe.

My main concern though is the amount of on board ram for the video cards. All of ours are at 1GB, and even though a GTX 550 Ti is technically very OLD tech, and he's not one to need all the settings turned up to Ultra, I'll most likely still upgrade him.

He ain't getting no R9 290X though! hehehehehehe. I'll get him something that is better than what he's got and more memory.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: IShotMyLastMuse

Actually, the problem with Far Cry 4 was that it required more than 2 cores to run. For some reason the developers chose the third core as the one used by the game even though it only needed 1 core to function. So on a dual core, the game was looking for the third core to run. Luckily some crafty russian hacker developed a tiny app the tricked the game into running on the second core. My machine only had a Phenom X2 555 but it ran perfectly.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful
Yah, I won't be a Day One player either, mainly because I promised my son I'd get it for him first, hehehehehe.

My main concern though is the amount of on board ram for the video cards. All of ours are at 1GB, and even though a GTX 550 Ti is technically very OLD tech, and he's not one to need all the settings turned up to Ultra, I'll most likely still upgrade him.

He ain't getting no R9 290X though! hehehehehehe. I'll get him something that is better than what he's got and more memory.

My old card was a 550ti, I bought the 760 on some holiday sale. Otherwise the 550ti was a good card. The 760 is a good card to, but like you said, the issue is more with the amount of ram on these cards(the 550 or 760).

Jumping into the 980ti would put me in good shape I think for a few years, with 6gb it's on the bigger side. And i've seen a lot of benchtests that show the 980 basically equaling the titan for frame rates.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Within a few weeks of release, there's talk about the modding community releasing a lower resolution texture pack so that older machines can still run it without newer, more expensive hardware.

They'll also be adding a ram fix so that you can play it with either 4 or 6 I believe.

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I got asus gtx 660 non ti version and it does play even Ark survival evolved fairly well, at least some time ago it did, i know they have optimized the game since. I think Fallout 4 specs are quite similar to Arks, 660 might play out rather well. Point is that if not needed absolutely ultra on newest games and no problem to cut down some motion blur and such bit down, 2gb card such as 660 seem to work fine, they are not expensive either, compared to jumping to 4gb cards yet, i think they are gonna come down soon bit, well at least hope so

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   
AMD FX‑8350 8 core boosted to 4.2
2x AMD r9 290x Crossfire 4GB HBM per card
32 Gb Crucial 1666 mhz
2 Samsung 850 pro SSDs in RAID 0
Windows 10 PRO 64 bit
Just bring it.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

The motherboard RAM isn't a problem. My son has 8GB so he's good to go (and I've got an overkill of 16GB, hehehe).

However, I just took a look at his CPU....it's an old Duo Core E6500, he's gong to need an upgrade for sure now as that's well below an i5 CPU.

Might see about upgrading him to a AMD MB with a FX-6300 Hexa core like I have. It's a cheap, but good upgrade

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
32 Gb Crucial 1666 mhz
Windows 10 PRO 64 bit
Just bring it.

I often wondered about doing a pair of SSD's in a Raid 0. The performance of a single SSD over an old spin drive was unbelievable. I just don't know if running duels would be worth the cost.

I'm just running a single 1tb 850.

Did you have a single SSD before going to the dual setup?

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Cities Skylines does only run on 64bit.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock
What ? redundancy , I dont need no stinkin redundancy. And it only improves the read speed . Does nothing for writes . But the read speed reduces the more drives you add to a RAID 0. I used to have 3 SAS 1TB in a RAID 0 previously. And even going wayyyyy back to SCSI RAID.
And , this one and Fallout 4 will be my last gaming round. I have been a hardcore gamer since the late 70s and have built my own custom systems since the mid-80s . I have come full circle with Wasteland/Wasteland 2 , Fallout 1 and 2/ 3 and 4 . Going into retirement after Fallout 4....

edit on 12-10-2015 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   

a reply to: MisterSpock
What ? redundancy , I dont need no stinkin redundancy. And it only improves the read speed . Does nothing for writes . But the read speed reduces the more drives you add to a RAID 0. I used to have 3 SAS 1TB in a RAID 0 previously. And even going wayyyyy back to SCSI RAID.

Hmm, I figured the purpose for the 2 drives was for read performance.

I forget that some people actually are trying to preserve data.

Edit: Nevermind, I got my 0 and 1 screwed up again. I was thinking raid 1.
edit on 12-10-2015 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Sounds like I need to get a PS4 for Christmas......

I'm sick and tired of needing to upgrade a PC anytime a new game comes out.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: nullafides
Sounds like I need to get a PS4 for Christmas......

I'm sick and tired of needing to upgrade a PC anytime a new game comes out.

Most times you dont have to. The listed "specs" are set high to try and keep people from buying the game and complaining they run slow. Just turn down some of the eye-candy , google the name of the game and get some "tips" on running whatever game with a lower spec;ed system . Bingo....... I have ran high falluting games on low end systems , and have seen some that makes my current system creak and groan.Keep the faith...

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   

32 Gb Crucial 1666 mhz
Windows 10 PRO 64 bit
Just bring it.

Only 4.2ghz? I have my 6300 overclocked to 4.7ghz.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: CallYourBluff
Uhh...thats not OC'ed . That speed is just using my motherboard's X-Boost.Which automatically kicks up every bus speed on the board up to 20% . Northbridge , southbridge , storage , PCI-e . et al with no user intervention required.....
I have ran a Pentium 166 @ 300mhz+. First to break 600 mhz with a CPU and a peltier cooler......
And with a good cryo cool and a schematic of the board I could probably take her to 6+ghz . But whats the point? ?? I left the bragging rights days far behind me....

edit on 12-10-2015 by Gothmog because: to add

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join