It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I don't understand evolution.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: noonebutme

when there's far more evidence to suggest yours is a lie and evolution is the more likely explanation for how we came to be.

I wish you people would come to an agreement on this?
Seems like I was just told evolution doesn't explain
how we came to be?

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs

when there's far more evidence to suggest yours is a lie and evolution is the more likely explanation for how we came to be.

how we came to be?

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion, often for their own amusement.

the wikipedia definition of a troll. you didnt come to this forum or post this thread to be educated or to consider any opposing argument, you came here to start an argument and then smile smugly while stonewalling the participants with an air of gracious superiority. it amuses you to watch people bruise themselves against the brick wall that you cleverly hid behind the curtain of debate. you have literally pronounced yourself ignorant then basked in that confession while giving the entire scientific community the bird, as though you are somehow a better person for having demonstrated it.

I'd say the shoe fits.

edit on 12-10-2015 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I don't understand which part of evolution could be disbelieved.

Is it that the structure of life is embodied in genetic material? Is it that genes can be altered? Is it that those alterations can be passed along to offspring? Is it that certain alterations can flourish whereas others can flounder? I mean, we know all those things are true.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs

how we came to be?

I took noonebutme's reply to mean how we came to be human, and not some other lifeform..

What exactly is the issue here randy? What is the purpose of this thread, besides the rather rash and somewhat juvenile, unsupported argument that scientific findings are lies? If you want to develop ideas and educate yourself and others, offer something more than blanket judgements based on opinion. For the sake of your own evolution.

edit on 12-10-2015 by spygeek because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Why are threads like this even allowed to exist?

It should at least get moved to the rant section or hoax bin.

But then we'd see a rise in persecution threads perhaps?

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: WakeUpBeer

It should at least get moved to the rant section or hoax bin.

But then we'd see a rise in persecution threads perhaps?

denying ignorance is not persecution, it is a duty.

do your duty, mods.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

Ludicrous Online Lies would be another fitting option perhaps.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
I don't find the discrepancy. I'm Christian, and I believe in the evolution of the species. Most of the Christians I know, do too. Like another poster said, the Hand of God.

piggybacking on the credit of respectable scientists employing reliable principles and tools in order to support a completely unrelated and untested hypothesis? creationism is the fifth grade bully cheating off some kids homework.

shame on you.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   
So, that's a clear NO from you...welcome to sanity!

a reply to: MrConspiracy

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: WakeUpBeer

Because it is a discussion board where people are free to believe what they wish, express those beliefs and discuss them.
Pretty straight forward really.

Now let me get something out the way; I personally don't understand people who don't understand evolution.
I also don't understand people who put so much blind faith in a mystical omnipotent, omniscient being for which there is little, if any, hard evidence to support its existence.

For me when considering the evidence that is available at present then the theory of evolution presents the most believable explanation.

But at this moment science most certainly does not offer all the answers, far from it.
In fact the more science studies the world / universe(s) etc then the more questions science poses than answers it provides - but at least it is based on evidence and critical thinking and not blind faith which props up all religions.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Because it is a discussion board where people are free to believe what they wish, express those beliefs and discuss them.
Pretty straight forward really.

does that mean im allowed to post a thread about how obviously 2 + 3 = 49, red is the wrong name for the color G flat, arsenic isnt poisonous (just misunderstood), and anyone who disagrees is intellectually inferior because nyahhh?

does that make me sound reasonably dignified in my right to be ignorant?

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Yes that is already done many times here on ATS. Looking through threads you'll see threads like that LOL.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

Yes that is already done many times here on ATS. Looking through threads you'll see threads like that LOL.

but does this not fly in the face of the ATS motto? "deny ignorance! unless, you know, someone is exercising their freedom of speech. then let them spew all the misinformation they like!"

maybe im not being clear here. if you dont understand a subject, you dont post a thread about how proud you are to be ignorant. you dont post a thread encouraging others to eschew education for the benefit of your affiliate party. you either ask to be informed, or GTFO. we arent here to make ignorance look honorable or even acceptable, because it is NOT. particularly if that ignorance has already been alleviated and you remain ignorant by choice. thats just dumb, and if you want to advertise it, this isnt the place. thats not what this site is here for.

its really pretty straightforward.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   

but does this not fly in the face of the ATS motto? "deny ignorance! unless, you know, someone is exercising their freedom of speech. then let them spew all the misinformation they like!"

Yes let people like randyvs spew all the misinformation they like and we will deny ignorance.

Hmm not sure what you are getting at? Are you saying that people like randyvs shouldn't be allowed to create threads such as this? After all this is Origins and Creationism forum.
edit on 10/12/2015 by Deaf Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   

I fully understand the point you are making, but there is a difference.

It has been mathematically proven that 2+3 does not equal 49.

Evolution has not been unequivocally proven.
Yes, it does seem the most likely scenario given all the facts available to us at present....but there are still one or two gaps in it.

If you are advocating that threads relating to alternative theories to evolution should be either 404'd or sent to the Hoax bin then shouldn't we by extension do the same with all religious threads?

And isn't it sort of contrary to the freedom of speech / thought ethos that most of us here on ATS at least allege to prescribe to?

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   

There's no such thing as proof in natural sciences.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 05:31 PM
link   

It has been mathematically proven that 2+3 does not equal 49.

Evolution has not been unequivocally proven.
Yes, it does seem the most likely scenario given all the facts available to us at present....but there are still one or two gaps in it.

as opposed to the army of swiss cheese currently defending creationism?

If you are advocating that threads relating to alternative theories to evolution should be either 404'd or sent to the Hoax bin then shouldn't we by extension do the same with all religious threads?

And isn't it sort of contrary to the freedom of speech / thought ethos that most of us here on ATS at least allege to prescribe to?

thats not what i am advocating. i am suggesting that any thread which openly confesses to ignorance, then refuses to abandon that ignorance, is a waste of time for everyone on the forum. like walking into a hospital with pneumonia and refusing to be treated, but also refusing to leave until you have been processed 20 times while insisting that pneumonia be accepted as a perfectly healthy condition to be in, not that you necessarily have it but would it be such a bad thing if you did?

its a complete mockery.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   

its completely ridiculous and mocks EVERYTHING ats stands for as a forum.

Nah. This is one of the best sites ever.

If you want ridiculousness try godlikeproductions site.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

its completely ridiculous and mocks EVERYTHING ats stands for as a forum.

Nah. This is one of the best sites ever.

If you want ridiculousness try godlikeproductions site.

i guess you cant give voice to great rationality without also allowing great superstition to have its say.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: GetHyped

There's no such thing as proof in natural sciences.

I think the quote is that there is no such thing as proof in science, natural or otherwise.

Scientists seem to be split on this, some believe that's true, some don't.

I suspect that some things are just so blatantly true that there is definitive proof positive that they are right.

Obviously anyone who has even a basic, rudimentary understanding of the scientific process knows that most Theories are just that - theories.
And a lot of those theories, like the Theory of Evolution are simply the best explanation we can offer at present given our knowledge and understanding in the here and now and as such most Theories are constantly growing, adapting, changing....or for want of a better word, evolving, as our knowledge and understanding grows.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join