It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aleister Crowley - The failure

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: amberinsc

originally posted by: windword

originally posted by: ColeYounger
a reply to: Rikku

'do as thou wilt' is an important phrase to me.

Most people don't even get past that phrase when they look at Crowley's stuff.
They think it meant "Be a hedonist and do whatever feels good."

It was actually a very strict moral code!

Yep. A LOT of ignorance around Crowley and his teachings. And yes, a VERY strict moral code. Talk about the "Straight and Narrow"! LOL!

I haven't researched Crowley much. I did just read the wikipedia link and I have a question... If there is such a strict moral code then why was Crowley a drug user and why was he so promiscuous and thus contracted gonorrhea and syphilis? He seems very anti-moral to me. What is his strict moral code?

The idea of a "moral code" was never put forth by Crowley. The only "moral code" that Crowley promoted was urging his followers to align themselves with their free will; "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law". That means no excuses, and it requires one to take ultimate responsibility for their own actions, their thoughts and reactions.

Shamans take drugs to lose their ego and confront the subconscious. Crowley didn't see drugs or sexual activity as personally immoral, but he condemned those who did, yet made excuses as to why they are not immoral. Crowley hated hypocrisy.

""Do what thou wilt" is the motto, "To thine own self be true" is the creed.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: amberinsc

the same people who doesnt understand the meaning of moral and ethics, talks about strict moral code. Ethical and moral code have only one purpose, making a sustainable society or state which everyone understands.

You call it Dogma.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Ill give you the meaning of the word moral: Principles or habits with respect to right or wrong conduct. While morals also prescribe dos and don'ts, morality is ultimately a personal compass of right and wrong.

Usually goes together with ethics: The rules of conduct recognized in respect to a particular class of human actions or a particular group or culture.

Usually within the confined space of dogma: dog·ma (dôg′mə, dŏg′-)
n. pl. dog·mas or dog·ma·ta (-mə-tə)
1. A doctrine or a corpus of doctrines relating to matters such as morality and faith, set forth in an authoritative manner by a religion.
2. A principle or statement of ideas, or a group of such principles or statements, especially when considered to be authoritative or accepted uncritically: "Much education consists in the instilling of unfounded dogmas in place of a spirit of inquiry" (Bertrand Russell).

I can even put in cult: A relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or as imposing excessive control over members:

You are very welcome, grasshoppa

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Hyperia

Well done there you seemed to have summed pretty much everything up in a neat little nutshell.

As I said, crack on with that and good luck but why do you expect everyone else to comply with your thoughts simply because they seem right to you?

Again good luck and all.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

What?

If you think people will see it the same, no, not really, fact is they are all facts, truth is, you dont wanna hear everything you will ever do in life is just to please that brain of yours.

You make your bubble of make believes and i stick to simple facts called science.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   

While morals also prescribe dos and don'ts, morality is ultimately a personal compass of right and wrong.

Exactly. Unlike many, Crowley never pretended to dictate what is personally "right and wrong" to anyone.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   

So the moral of the story, he had no morals.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Neither does the biblical god have morals. Yet, here we are, supposedly, made in his image.

Can you point me to what you believe is evidence of immoral writings or immoral behavior in Crowley's writings or biography?

edit on 13-10-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   

So Crowley is a God?

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Are you? You're, supposedly, made in his image too.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Hmmm, i think you got the message wrong about the whole in image and God thing, and Crowleys philosophy, not quite the same thing.

I think this is more suited for you inedia
edit on 13 10 2015 by Hyperia because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Neither does the biblical god have morals. Yet, here we are, supposedly, made in his image.

Can you point me to what you believe is evidence of immoral writings or immoral behavior in Crowley's writings or biography?

Learn what moral and ethics are before this discussion

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Hmmm, i think you got the message wrong about the whole in image and God thing, and Crowleys philosophy, not quite the same thing.

I never said they were, you implied that Crowley had no morals, and based your fervor to expose those of no or little morality, I presented the biblical god for your consideration.

My morals are not based on religion, god or the teachings of any person or book, but on my owner inner compass, thank you very much, and they're available for critique.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Your morals are based on the bible, like i said, discussion we can have, when you understand, grasshoppa

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Your morals are based on the bible

No they're not.

edit on 13-10-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   

No,your morals are taught in school, society and your parents, and your new found morals are taught by Crowley.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   

There is absolutely NO morality found in the Bible.

You know nothing about me, my parents, my schooling or the various scholars, poets and philosophers that I've studied,

Again, you've exposed your own ignorance, arrogance and stupidity in painting individuals, that you've never met, know nothing of or about with you wide brush of biblical BS and rhetoric.

So far in this thread, you've displayed bad manners, arrogance, folly, intolerance and judgement, all traits of the religious claiming moral superiority.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   

There is absolutely NO morality found in the Bible.

You know nothing about me, my parents, my schooling or the various scholars, poets and philosophers that I've studied,

Again, you've exposed your own ignorance, arrogance and stupidity in painting individuals, that you've never met, know nothing of or about with you wide brush of biblical BS and rhetoric.

So far in this thread, you've displayed bad manners, arrogance, folly, intolerance and judgement, all traits of the religious claiming moral superiority.

...which is clearly something you've done to no-one...bahahaha...you're a comic genuis WW...I'll give you that...

Å99
edit on 13-10-2015 by akushla99 because: Addd

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: akushla99

Textwhich is clearly something you've done to no-one

One thing that I have NEVER done is post a thread bashing a spiritualist that I've never read and know nothing about.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 06:44 PM
link   

a reply to: akushla99

Textwhich is clearly something you've done to no-one

One thing that I have NEVER done is post a thread bashing a spiritualist that I've never read and know nothing about.

Neither have I...but that doesn't stop people assuming whatever...does it WW?

Å99
edit on 13-10-2015 by akushla99 because: Addd

edit on 13-10-2015 by akushla99 because: Also addd

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join