It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why was UK not part of initial aid co-ordination?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 01:03 PM
link   
On December 31, President Bush announced monetary and other contributions to the victims of the tsunami disaster, and further said that "India, Japan, and Australia have pledged to help us coordinate these relief efforts.." There was no mention of our staunchest ally, Great Britain, being part of the coordination coalition.
www.state.gov...

The omission struck me as kind of odd, and I'm wondering if it signalled some type of rift between our two nations. I certainly hope this is not the case. Any comments?

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 01:28 PM
link   
You know the same thought struck me actually. Made me question motives...

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I can assure you our contribution exists, Bush just probably forgot to mention us. Typical.

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
On December 31, President Bush announced monetary and other contributions to the victims of the tsunami disaster, and further said that "India, Japan, and Australia have pledged to help us coordinate these relief efforts.." There was no mention of our staunchest ally, Great Britain, being part of the coordination coalition.
www.state.gov...

The omission struck me as kind of odd, and I'm wondering if it signalled some type of rift between our two nations. I certainly hope this is not the case. Any comments?

Check out this link..
news.bbc.co.uk...

I think it might just answer your question.

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by MERC
I can assure you our contribution exists, Bush just probably forgot to mention us. Typical.

Yeha, our contribution exists, but we're not part of Bush's coalition.

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   

I have no doubt that the UK stepped right up to the plate, and quickly at that, and I am sure that their contributions were very generous. The link provided by bikereddie proves that out.

Blair was on vacation. Bush was on vacation. Annan was on vacation. So were many other world leaders. I think that the relief response was very good in spite of this.

Bush probably just forgot to mentioned it.

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 03:08 PM
link   
... At the moment the coalition consists of America, Australia, Japan and India because of their proximity to the disaster zone - other countries can join I expect.

news.bbc.co.uk...

"...."I would expect that in a short period of time this core will expand and the entire international community will be involved," he (Powell) said.

...Mr Bush backed calls for a tsunami alert system after what he called a "terrible disaster" and predicted other countries would join the "core group". "

posted on Jan, 2 2005 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

Blair was on vacation. Bush was on vacation. Annan was on vacation. So were many other world leaders. I think that the relief response was very good in spite of this.

Thats probably why the response was so good - no fecking politicians around to screw it up.

new topics

top topics

join