It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lawyer: Army officer recommends against prison time in Bowe Bergdahl case

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   
This has nothing to do with any trial. Its a preliminary investigation of the claims in the case. The commanding officer can still decide to bring the charges to a general court martial and based on the evidence I hope he does.

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

That being said, I can't even pretend to be shocked at this apparent turn of events, given how the administration spun this and played this whole charade like a fiddle. The guy we did all this for turns out to be the giant d-bag all the guys in his unit say he is?

From your link:

In a court filing released to the media, Fidell praised Visger for his “balanced, judicious and humane approach” to the case.

“The operative word was ‘humane,'” Fidell added Saturday in an interview. “He ran an orderly — and as far as his powers are concerned — fair hearing.”

Fidell has called repeatedly since the hearing for the release of documents in the case, saying the American public deserves to be able to read them. He also recently took the unusual step of releasing the full transcript of the preliminary hearing.

“This case is now about transparency in the military justice system,” Fidell said. “In a way, that’s a larger issue than the disposition of these charges against this soldier.”

Emphasis mine

So - you're not surprised - but it seems like maybe for the wrong reasons

Mental health - whistle blowing - mixed bag of unknowns...

His unit - they're reliable? Their views and info without question the absolute truth? Was just reading a bit on all their complaints with his story. The way they tell it his choices and actions were irrational - so...

A former Veterans Affairs official apologized Thursday for suggesting that Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl may have left his post in Afghanistan five years ago because he was surrounded by “psychopaths.”

“While I just wanted to make the point that the public should wait before passing judgment, I unfortunately used my own poor judgment in choosing inappropriate language that many view as disparaging to U.S. service members,” Brandon Friedman, who currently serves as a spokesman for the Department of Housing and Urban Development, told BuzzFeed.

“That was certainly not my intent and I regret making the comments on my personal account in such a way. I apologize to those with whom I work in the Administration, at HUD, and, most importantly, to any service members who took offense,” he said.

Friedman, himself a veteran, sparked outrage Wednesday night after he floated the idea that maybe Bergdahl's comrades pushed him to leave his post.

Everyone's entitled to there opinions - no?

Maybe we should wait for all the facts to come out before we sentence the guy to life - or death
edit on 10/11/2015 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

I read my link before I posted it so...thanks I guess?

His defense attorney can call for whatever he wants to. That doesn't obligate the government to comply. He can "call" for a left handed judge advocate of Jewish faith. Doesn't mean it's anything more than blowing smoke.

His unit? Perhaps they're not reliable witnesses. What makes some guy who wasn't even there any more reliable? He's more reliable because he suggested they're psychopaths but then apologized for saying it? Seriously?

I'm not in any rush to convict or exonerate Bergdahl. I think he's guilty of desertion, but since I'm not a judge or member of a jury it is, and will only be, my opinion. Just like it's merely my opinion that the government isn't going to allow the man they fawned over to be made into the villain of this story.

It's an opinion. My opinion doesn't sentence anybody.

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   

I posted the bit from your link because - there's more information out there not being said than you or I are equipped to argue over

I thought it was amusing that you didn't factor the unknown into your astonishment at this recent turn of possible events

For crying out loud - anyone can see that there is a mad but hushed scramble to work things out - much face saving to do - things to hide or disclose

You can feel the cluster-you-know-what hanging in the air...

:-)

It's an opinion. My opinion doesn't sentence anybody.

True that - and it's a good thing probably. Not for nothing Shamrock, and no great surprise to you I'm sure - but I'm feeling possibly unbalanced and/or conscientious objector on this one. We pacifists aren't tied to the whole band of brothers ideal the way others are - and frying this guy doesn't interest me even if he's guilty

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   

If by "astonishment" you mean the bit where I specifically said I couldn't pretend to be surprised, then I guess I can see it? I'm confused as to what you think I'm surprised about.

You'll note that I haven't made any comments about capital punishment. The military hasn't executed anybody since World War Two. The death penalty is moot, in my opinion. Perhaps he is truly unbalanced. Which, let's be honest, will be much easier on the Army to explain as to how he got in to begin with instead of "why did we do all this for a deserter?"

And I think that's exactly what will happen. He has mental issues, didn't really understand what he was doing and the consequences, blah blah blah, and he's quietly retired.

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Astonishment is the word I chose because it describes the tone you set and the initial impression I got from reading your OP

Should I go back and edit - replace astonished with incensed?

Naw - I stand corrected. I'll just leave it like this

You'll note that I haven't made any comments about capital punishment.

True - but others have. I won't stick you with that, but plenty of people are pretty mad that he's only going to lose a stripe

And I think that's exactly what will happen. He has mental issues, didn't really understand what he was doing and the consequences, blah blah blah, and he's quietly retired.

Fair enough - that would be the best case scenario. I'm sure a lot of people are rooting for that because between you and me and the lamppost - I'll bet there is some stuff going on behind the scenes that we probably all should know about, but never will

edit on 10/11/2015 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Disgusted would be more apt than incensed. I'm one of the ones that isn't happy with the idea of him simply losing a stripe.

That being said, it's not hard to see the game that's being played with it all. And I completely agree that there's more at play than what we see, and probably never will see it.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 07:08 AM
link   
They should discharge him (take his retirement but leave it honorable so he maintains his veteran status) so that he can become homeless and jobless and die while waiting for medical treatment like all the other veterans. (who don't actually deserve that kind of treatment)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join