It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

41000. Are we okay with this? 41k deaths per yr. Second hand smoke.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 11:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

Are you that oblivious? Smokers have been moved outside. There are laws in some areas that say you can't smoke in your car if you have people under 18 in them. Smokers have adhered to ALL the laws and even look like lepers around nonsmokers. "Sorry dude. I'll move." And you want more? I'm pretty sure that most smokers would say F U at this juncture.

I'm not sure if this is the comment you're looking at OP to answer or not, sorry if not. I don't mind answering.

I was against the whole ordeal when smoking became illegal in bars and restaurants. I had a friend who was a server that couldn't stop spouting off about his right not to inhale smoke. I told him he should get a job someplace where they didn't allow smoking. He couldn't accept that. I'm not for forcing business to do what the government wants... and smoking is one of those things. If a business wants to allow smoking they should be able to do so. I vote with my feet and my money.

I'm all about rights. To be fair, in my experience, smokers have certainly not adhered to all the laws and many of those that did definitely didn't do it without a lot of bitching and moaning. Not talking about if the law is right. We're still faced with smokers who can't be bothered with adhering to the 20 foot from a building entrance law locally. Not only do they not want to go 20 feet from the door it seems that since they can't smoke while using the bathroom they need to piss in the doorways of the surrounding buildings while they enjoy a smoke. This is mainly bars mind you, where it should not be mandated by the government that smoking isn't allowed... but I still find it telling that the same people who need to go out for a smoke can't be bothered to take a few minutes out of their drinking time to piss in a toilet like everybody else.

Like I said before this is just part of the erosion of common courtesy.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 11:49 PM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

is that what they died from? cigarette tar? or did they just die from lung cancer? they don`t even know what causes lung cancer, they suspect that there are a lot of things that could cause it.
I`m just saying the air is full of a lot of toxic things cigarette smoke is just one small thing. you can contract and die from legionaires disease in a building that nobody smokes in.

I`m not defending smoking or trying to say it isn`t harmful I`m just saying if you die from the little bit of second hand smoke you inhale well you were probably to fragile to exist long in all the polluted air that you breathe everyday.

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I'll validate for you. I have been a smoker for over 40 years and until 2009 I was a police officer and overweight but could still run 2 miles without stroking.

I smoke because I want to and I really don't give a rats # how you feel about it. Smoking helps calm my nerves (even though it is a upper) and keeps me from venting too much.

I don't go out anymore because in 2009 while I was working an accident with injury some idiot, talking on their cell-phone, driving over 50 mph went around 2 police cars, blocking the road with emergency lights on, and swerved in and struck me. Now I am disabled.

You want to get rid of cigarette smoke? I wish that all people that talk and text on cell-phones while driving would instantly burn in hell.

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 04:13 AM
link   
I do think that smoking is poison and a killer but honestly OP, you're a hypocrite.
Your fumes kill far more people and trigger asthma attacks on a daily basis.
If we're banning smokes, we're banning cars too!!

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Radon gassssssss

Å99

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 06:05 AM
link   

I was in a farmers market yesterday.
Very narrow aisles.
There was a 90 y/o lady, completely oblivious to the fact that she and her 70 y/o daughter were holding up about 15 people from walking through.... because they thought it would be a super idea to put their shopping carts end to end and transfer (very s-l-o-w-l-y , mind you) some items from one cart to another.
I didn't have a cart.... SO BAN CARTS!!!

Regarding your hybrid vehicle, OP, if it is so good for the environment, why don't you pipe the exhaust into the interior of the car while not smoking?

Now I ask a question of everyone.
If we have tons of medical proof that smoking tobacco is deadly over time and Marijuana is not....
Why are cigarettes legal to buy and (in most places) Marijuana is illegal???
Oops, dammit.... I forgot to mention that I am a smoker.
edit on b000000312015-10-11T06:06:22-05:0006America/ChicagoSun, 11 Oct 2015 06:06:22 -0500600000015 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Wait....I hear of medical reports and see articles on news stations that smoking is on a fast decline ? How does the deaths from 2nd hand smoke stay that high or on the increase ? Could there be something else ? Could the whole thing have been just another control freak lie?

My money is on yes.

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Maybe OP should invest in a high quality gas mask, if he is so concerned about all the chemicals in the air.

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

I was in a farmers market yesterday.
Very narrow aisles.
There was a 90 y/o lady, completely oblivious to the fact that she and her 70 y/o daughter were holding up about 15 people from walking through.... because they thought it would be a super idea to put their shopping carts end to end and transfer (very s-l-o-w-l-y , mind you) some items from one cart to another.
I didn't have a cart.... SO BAN CARTS!!!

Regarding your hybrid vehicle, OP, if it is so good for the environment, why don't you pipe the exhaust into the interior of the car while not smoking?

Now I ask a question of everyone.
If we have tons of medical proof that smoking tobacco is deadly over time and Marijuana is not....
Why are cigarettes legal to buy and (in most places) Marijuana is illegal???
Oops, dammit.... I forgot to mention that I am a smoker.

Because the Fed hasn't gotten a handle on how to make money off it yet.

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Heart disease: 611,105
Cancer: 584,881
Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 149,205
Accidents (unintentional injuries): 130,557
Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 128,978
Alzheimer's disease: 84,767
Diabetes: 75,578
Influenza and Pneumonia: 56,979
Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 47,112
Intentional self-harm (suicide): 41,149

FastFacts Leading Causes of Death CDC

41K deaths caused by second hand smoke?

US Population, US Census, 321 Million

A little quick math....41,000 / 321,000,000... equals....

.0128% of the population.

Sure, I'm ok with this.

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   
IMHO, far too often, people get entirely too emotionally vested in what appear to be large numbers.

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: KingKelson

Check. It's a military grade 400/3 mask and filter, which offers full nuclear, biological, and chemical protection. Next please. By you smokers really defend your craft huh.?

Thanks for posting

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Smoking pot (I do not but have associates who do) offers some healing properties although it increases tar exposure and caused changes to the lining of the small tubes in the lungs.

I don't know of any cig that has anything positive to offer. Ok so you're stressed other and it calms you. Hop in that car of yours and lite em up. (Just please kindly roll up the widows!

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Smokers defend their craft about as much as self-entitled whiners will defend theirs, yea.

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   
This thread makes me want to light up a few of these bad boys and walk around in public sharing the rich, complex aroma of decadent cigars with everyone I meet:

edit on 11-10-2015 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I was thinking seriously about this thread. I won't bother to comment on the obvious arrogance and hypocrasy of the OP. Others have done that quite adequately. But I do want to make a comment about the social phenomena of anti-smoking.

Has anyone else noticed how health and the environment have married up into a religion?

Notice how the OP was careful to list his bona fides. It isn't enough that he is bothered by second hand smoke. OH NO. First he must demonstrate that he is a true believer. He is a body builder. He tries to eat right (whether he actually does or not is anyone' guess)

Compare this to the behavior of christians.

It is ok if you beat your wife, cheat on your taxes, rape children, engage in shady business deals, are generally a bully etc. as long as you attend church on Sunday and don't forget to tithe to the church. If you are christian, you are "trying" and are therefore generally given a higher social status then those who are not. You are "entitled". Generally, you are desirable as a politican and can count on being the one who makes the rules and judges the rest of the non-superior society. You, in short, are a pillar of society, a superior being who is entitled to demand all the pluses of being in a society and the right to exclude others.

in the new health/environmental religion, the same thing goes:

It doesn't matter if you are overwieght. You "talk" about how you are trying to eat right. Its ok if you are really a pudding body, you own a gym membership and occasionally take the stairs to show how you are trying. Like a christian, you profess to actually belief the propaganda and you are therefore entitled to a superior status in society. You are better than those filthy old smokers (never mind that many olympic athaletes are smokers.

It doesn't matter if you pollute by driving a car or running a BBQ. You are "trying". Never mind that biofuels pollute more than pure gasolene and provide less energy. You bought into the religiion and can't back out now without losing social status.

As a member of the health/environment religion, its ok if you throw your garbage on the ground. Everyone knows that its really smokers and their cigarette butts that are destroying the environment.

Also as a member of the health/evironment religion and a superior member of society, you have the right to impose conditions on other members of society. A business owner wants to make a living selling drinks/food to smokers. No absolutely not allowed. Every bar and every restaurant must cater to the tastes of the superior members of society. There is no room for smokers.

ect and ect.

I could go on but I think I have made my point.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Burn em if ya got em....after all. Those are the cheapo deepos... want a real cubin, go for a Piramides Seleccion~ you may as well be smoking jose L. Piedras......

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

Nice you said it. There is no room for smokers. Thanks for posting!

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: ReadLeader
Burn em if ya got em....after all. Those are the cheapo deepos... want a real cubin, go for a Piramides Seleccion~ you may as well be smoking jose L. Piedras......

You obviously are not familiar with cigars or the limited edition Monte's.

Perhaps I can share their rich smoke with you and your little dog too.

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   

I would welcome that! As long as I am upwind and you are down. Thanks August!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join