It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

41000. Are we okay with this? 41k deaths per yr. Second hand smoke.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 09:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: ReadLeader
As a health fanatic. Former body builder. Runner. Biathlon - ist. And more. WHY do I have to walk through these nasty folk smoking just to get to my office each day.

Can you at least go about 4 blocks away? Why can't I have 12 protien or cardio breaks a day????

If smoking is so awesome and tastes so good, why do they have to hold the cigarette out the window?

Why do I have to inhale the toxic chemicals that they breath out?

I hate that on a beautiful day like today, taking my precious Berner dogs for a car ride that some skank tosses a cig out (still lit) out the window at the stoplight and I'm forced to roll up the windows and shut the sunroof. ...

I love humanity BUT hate smokers (or at least thier actions that are so disrespectful)..

ps. All of my parents and grandparents who are deceased were avid smokers...

Cough cough
... ughhhhh

www.lung.org...://www.google.com/

Thanks for reading. .. sorry smoker people but jeeze. .. nope not sorry... burn em if ya got em, just don't want to have to join you.....

Ok done ...nope not until I can be smoke free in my own little world....

Did this figure originally come fro GISS or NOAA climate modelling?
No matter, WTF are you living a city for? A-U-T-O-M-O-B-I-L-E-S pump out the same sort of stuff, that includes those that save lives, and what about Apples, d'yuh eat them? If so, please do not fart in my presence, matter of fact, please don't fart in my presence anyway, because your farts are disgusting to me..and could be harmful!

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

I agree with you about people who just flick there butts on the ground, or even smoke with kids in the car. But I have no issue lighting up a cigarette in an open space or even in my own car if a non-smoker is in my car. As far as I'm concerned no one owns the air and can tell me what I'm allowed to do in it... Maybe selfish, but that's just my opinion.

Its kind of amazing how much people have turned on it though. I remember my dad telling me how he was allowed to smoke in the hospital lobby when I was born, back in 83... You'd probably be arrested if you lite up a smoke in the hospital these days.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   

a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Yawwwwwwwwwwwwn. ..... . Sub. Same old responce. Let's talk about second hand smoke. Once more. If is lt is so awsome, why can't you enjoy this practice in your home or car or where it does not affect other non smokers? Thanks for posting!

Let me ask you something. Do you wear perfume/cologne? The chemicals in many of them trigger migraines for me, so if you desire tobacco smokeless areas for you to waltz through, can I demand you not be allowed to wear triggering scents for me? Oh, what's that? You WANT to wear those obnoxious fumes, and think I should avoid coming near you? Oh, why you self-centered little groomer, scents aren't even necessary, and some of the chemicals used to make them are known to be harmful!

See what I'm getting at? You could wear your bottled migraine stink at home and be happy with it there, but you don't. Instead, people feel the need to make other people suffer for their stupid olfactory offenses. I could make another analogy for people charring meat (known carcinogens) or cars, but it's already been touched on & the point would still be the same-- freedom to do as we please within the limits of the law.

Your next option is to alter your own activities since the law otherwise basically tells you "it's already a restricted activity, deal with it". Use another door, or perhaps seriously consider holding your breath (if I can do it passing a grandma marinating in gaggy rose perfume shuffling along slowly, you can do it for a few seconds, too) Or better yet, buy a gas mask, slap it on & breath filtered air entirely.
edit on 10/10/2015 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 10:08 PM
link   

You're getting pretty beat up for this one. I'm a former smoker, but I was always conscious of the fact that my habit was very annoying and avoided places where people were forced to walk through a cloud of my smoke. The exception being places where smoking was allowed. Those locations are dwindling now.

I also am annoyed by people that stand a few feet from a building entrance smoking. It's not hard to walk 20 steps from an entrance and make an effort to not blow clouds of smoke on people. I welcome people to enjoy a smoke, just a dozen steps from the door makes a world of difference. It's part of the general courtesy that's eroded over time.

I don't mind dealing with it, but very much appreciate when I don't have to.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Still waiting for answers to questions. What are you saying exactly? No need to be disrespectful. I'm just asking a few valid questions. Do you need to take a smoke break? It's ok. I'm very respectful. Just asking for answers. Can you just go to your home or man cave and light em up?

Thanks for posting. .. (FU) ? Really??

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Still waiting for answers to questions. What are you saying exactly? No need to be disrespectful. I'm just asking a few valid questions. Do you need to take a smoke break? It's ok. I'm very respectful. Just asking for answers. Can you just go to your home or man cave and light em up?

Thanks for posting. .. (FU) ? Really??

Sorry. Obfuscation doesn't work with me. Deal with my last post.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Still respect you. Thanks for posting

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Ksihkehe

Ks. Thanks for the insite. Congrads on quitting. I've got thick skin. Thanks tho.

I will walk as far as I can NOT to have to smell that burning poison. .

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 10:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Yawwwwwwwwwwwwn. ..... . Sub. Same old responce. Let's talk about second hand smoke. Once more. If is lt is so awsome, why can't you enjoy this practice in your home or car or where it does not affect other non smokers? Thanks for posting!

Let me ask you something. Do you wear perfume/cologne? The chemicals in many of them trigger migraines for me, so if you desire tobacco smokeless areas for you to waltz through, can I demand you not be allowed to wear triggering scents for me? Oh, what's that? You WANT to wear those obnoxious fumes, and think I should avoid coming near you? Oh, why you self-centered little groomer, scents aren't even necessary, and some of the chemicals used to make them are known to be harmful!

See what I'm getting at? You could wear your bottled migraine stink at home and be happy with it there, but you don't. Instead, people feel the need to make other people suffer for their stupid olfactory offenses. I could make another analogy for people charring meat (known carcinogens) or cars, but it's already been touched on & the point would still be the same-- freedom to do as we please within the limits of the law.

Your next option is to alter your own activities since the law otherwise basically tells you "it's already a restricted activity, deal with it". Use another door, or perhaps seriously consider holding your breath (if I can do it passing a grandma marinating in gaggy rose perfume shuffling along slowly, you can do it for a few seconds, too) Or better yet, buy a gas mask, slap it on & breath filtered air entirely.

Aromatic Hydrocarbons..

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I am a smoker occasionally and a vaper. However, with the OPs numbers. 41000 deaths per year from secondhand smoke alone, does that not effectively mean our rights as smokers are taking away from the rights of non smokers?

If not, why not, how?

If so, we all know the policy on this regard. The line...

I apologize fellow smokers. Some of the replies made this thought occur to me.. I dont like that i smoker.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Still respect you. Thanks for posting

In other words, "I'm out of my league and shouldn't have gone here" sort of thing. Got it.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 10:26 PM
link   

a reply to: Shamrock6

Just sayin Sham. Why must a person have to walk through a smoke ridden area. (Several smokers at the entrance of a building) just to have to get to thier place of employment? I just want an honest answer. Smoke stinks. It's bad for you and me. It sticks to clothing and hair.... come on, give me one good reason. If it is that much of an awesome experience why can't you go to your car and roll up the windows and smoke away? Second hand and first hand smoke kills.... period? Why do you want to spread the death warrant??

Because, as intrepid said, that's where the anti-smoker lobby has decreed smokers can smoke. Complain to your building management. I'm fairly certain they'll be willing to put up a "no smoking within 50 feet of the door" sign for you. Of course, that won't be good enough. Then it'll be the parking lot. Which still won't be good enough.

You make it sound as if you're being hot boxed at the door. How in the hell long does it take you to open a door and walk through the doorway? Sweet Jesus man, drama queen hysterics abound!

First world problems indeed. I had no idea it was going to turn out to be so literal.
edit on 10-10-2015 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Same can be said for people that pour cologne and perfume all over themselves or use hair spray, I am a smoker and I go out of my way to be courteous, but guess what, I put up with rude selfish jerks all the time and they don't seem to give a crap about me.

I go to eat and some jerk is on his cell phone, I drive on the highway and some jerk tails me, I get on an elevator and my respiratory system goes haywire from all the fragrances.

Funny thing is, cigarettes do not bother me one damn bit.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 10:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: lightedhype
I am a smoker occasionally and a vaper. However, with the OPs numbers. 41000 deaths per year from secondhand smoke alone, does that not effectively mean our rights as smokers are taking away from the rights of non smokers?

If not, why not, how?

If so, we all know the policy on this regard. The line...

I apologize fellow smokers. Some of the replies made this thought occur to me.. I dont like that i smoker.

What the OP glossed over is the majority of people exposed to second hand smoke are people living in poverty. The percentage of non smokers exposed to second hand smoke has dropped by about half in the last several years. Poor blacks have the highest exposure rate, and poor black children have the highest out of all the sub groups. Which is primarily people smoking inside their home and vehicles with kids in the car. It's not from walking down the street and passing by somebody, in 0.76 seconds, smoking.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Nope. Not even. Still waiting on validation. .. . Come on give me something to validate that second hand smoke is o.k. the only thing that you have offered is your own self opinionated reason for lighting it up.

Still w/respect Intr. Come on man let's colaberate. ... or do you just need to go burn one?

Thanks for posting ....

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Thanks Intr. I appreciate the candid responce. But I ask again. If smoking your cig is so awesome, why do you smokers not roll up your windows up and enjoy all of the benefits of your habit?

Why can't you stay inside your home and shut the doors and windows and just smoke em till they are gone?

I witnessed a couple today doing just that, with two kiddos in the back seat..sadly

Because once we start doing that, you'll move the goal posts and complain that the smoke escapes the car when we open the door and you'll have to smell it then as well.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Smoking outside is being vented, it open air!!! I bet the car ( fossil) fumes you breathe in with your window down is much worse. I'd advise not having your window down at a traffic light.

Some people wear too much perfume, that's offensive. People who buy food from subway stink. Parmesan cheese stinks. Lots of things are offensive but that's just life.

Perhaps move into a bubble. Wear a mask. Carry a protest sign. Nose plugs.
edit on 10-10-2015 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 11:18 PM
link   

a reply to: diggindirt

Digg. I drive a hybred. I Bet I can out run any smoker...come on its the Rant forum. Get over it....

Well, bless your heart for using electricity & gasoline to make your canine companions happy.
But don't you think their health would be improved by the fresh air in the park, rather than having to breath all that pollution caused by people who don't drive a "hybred"---and they'd get exercise as well?
If tobacco smoke hurts your delicate nose, just stop a moment and imagine what your dogs must be experiencing with their heightened sense of smell.

But don't mind me....enjoy your rides in exhaust fumes.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I recently started smoking again after quitting for 3 years. Stress. The stress was going to do me in quicker than a cigg and it helps me take a moment to pull myself together when I am not coping well.

That said, I am extremely respectful of other peoples air space. Until I quit, I had no idea how bad it could smell, nor the distance.

Now, if only people with horrendous colognes and perfumes could do the same. Gag!

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 11:40 PM
link   
im a former smoker.

some stats for you. 87% of lung cancer cases are smokers. guess how many smokers get lung cancer. less than 10%!

what? less than 10% of smokers get lung cancer? thats not what the media puts out, but its true according to science (which doesnt care what you believe)

"Surprisingly, fewer than 10 percent of lifelong smokers will get lung cancer. Fewer yet will contract the long list of other cancers, such as throat or mouth cancers. In the game of risk, you're more likely to have a condom break than to get cancer from smoking." www.livescience.com...

the article goes on to state that there are many other reasons to quit, it just dispels one of the most common smoking myths.

as for 2nd hand smoke, the study that says its equal to or more harmful than actually smoking has been discredited as well. www.forbes.com... www.cato.org...

i put this out because you seem to think 2nd hand smoke is going to hurt you. it isnt. not outside, at least.

i ride motorcycles, and im more concerned about sitting behind an idling car than cig smoke. here's why. cig smoke is just burning plants, like a bon fire. cars burn gas, which comes from oil, used to make plastic, and burning that is super toxic. of course, that could just be my own warped way of thinking.

bottom line is 2nd hand smoke isnt gonna kill you out in the open air. the small amounts you get passing through a cloud wont hurt unless youre super genetically disposed to getting something, and if thats the case a bon fire and car exhaust will trigger it.

now if you say, "hey, i just dont like it. i think it smells aweful and i shouldnt have to dodge it." well, i got nothing for that one.

in a weird way, you have no one but yourself and people that want a "smoke free world" to blame. your focus wasnt to protect yourselves, but to make us miserable. so in our passive-agressive way, we are like "f-u man! this is my area to smoke!"

so here's the long and short of it. you dont like smoke, they do. make it more convenient for them, and most of them will make it more convenient for you.

as for the breaks, a 5-10 minute break per hour makes you more productive. i always allowed my workers, smokers and non, to take a break. grab a cup of coffee, take a smoke, read a comic, do push-ups, whatever. monotony makes you sloppy, and pouring over spreadsheets for hours makes the cells merge together. take a break!

just saying, let the smokers kill themselves, and worry about yourself. dont buy into false fears. their smoke isnt going to hurt you, or even mess up your clothes unless you stand there for a long time.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join