It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia to Turkey: There’s a New Sheriff in Town: Russian Radar Locks on to Turkish Fighter Jets

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   
The Russian jet kept a Lock on then
and waited for them to shoot him down.
he ejected, I bet they say he died.
only one jet? id that normal?
should it be two or more?

this was a deliberate act.
Russian is playing a game and its working!

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: InnerPeace2012

I agree with your sentiments

Turkey has made a fine mess of itself and don’t want a war with Russia.

The good thing is Obama, although a terrible leader, is on this issue 1000 times better than any of the republicans (save maybe for Trump) and Hillary Clinton who might start a war if they were the president.

So its good Obama sees the wisdom of not trying to provoke Russia.

Though the hidden black ops of the CIA may do something sinister, of course, as they usually do.

Its good Obama then has time left in office which hopefully the Russians and their allies can get rid of ISIS.

The goal imo is the relief of the Syrian people from all this demonic political chicanery

edit on 11-10-2015 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

Its good Obama then has time left in office which hopefully the Russians and their allies can get rid of ISIS.

Well to get rid of them one has to actually engage them.

Not something Russia has done much of.

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: tsurfer2000h

You mean big words don't kill terrorists?

Someone should tell that to Obama.

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Elementalist
I don't care what you believe at all about Russia or the grand orchastration being fiddled by the media giants, which let's not forget, are corporately owned and pyramid to the same owners... or are some refugee Syrian guy in a #ty apartment.

Vladimir Putin is the man, and he is very entertaining to observe in this orchastrating chess match

i dont think you understand how war works kiddo, this aint no call of duty, people like you and me will be the ones dead in the end, we will see how much you enjoy his theatrics then!

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   
If it hasn't been explained yet…

The reason Russian jets briefly enter Turkish airspace its because its better to bomb a close border target heading into Syria instead of heading out. That way, any misses or overshoots land in Syria, not Turkey. Better a plane violate Turkish airspace than a bomb or fragmentation, see?

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Is there any techincal guy that can explain if there is something that requires a mig-29 to lock that wouldn't require an F-16 to lock? Something like weapon inspection or other things? Russian provocation against Turkey makes no sense, they have nothing to gain, and in all fairness there is a big disconnect in some of the Turkish statements of these days.
From one side Erdogan is pushing hard because NATO support for his election is enormously important, from the other side Turkey is very dependant on russian gas and they are planning together a nuclear facility.

Turkey doesn't need to intervene in Syria as long as it can hunt the PKK, NATO on the other side cannot intervene at all unless a member state is under attack, so this whole proto conflict stinks a lot. I suppose that yesterday in Ankara isn't the last big terror attack in Turkey before the elections, I smell a turkish 9/11.

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Mastronaut

The only reason to lock radar onto another aircraft is to refine its position, or send a message to the pilot. As soon as they're locked on an alarm sounds in the F-16.

The instinct for the pilot that is locked on is to maneuver and attempt to break the lock. That means he can't lock onto the other aircraft, because his radar beam is all over the place as he turns to try to break the lock.

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Putin makes Obama look like a scared little girl and Russia is making its move to replace the USA as a military power. Sure...the US will continue to be a purchasing power, buying everyone else's crap, but that will fade quickly enough as we go broke under liberal/progressive leadership.

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

I think that Putin is working his way over to Iran being on his border, this way when America wages war on Iran....Russia will be waiting right there on their border. Now that's Game On!

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   
In my opinion, there is no sheriff. There is no law. There is no order. No good guys. No heroes stepping in to save the day.

Just an increasingly chaotic gyre of insanity on all sides. With innocent victims caught between, desperate for survival and some glimmer of hope. As those safe in their beds at night in the more developed, less war-torn parts of the world pick a side, and cheer it on.

Apologies for my too-apparent cynicism about this situation. Probably need sleep.

Peace.
edit on 10/11/2015 by AceWombat04 because: Typos

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   
This site has become as anti-American as they come. It's almost a chore to even come here any more. It doesn't even matter if several countries are involved and America has nothing to do with it, it somehow reflects on how terrible Obama / our country is, and how amazing and wonderful other countries and their leaders are. Putin is a savior to many on this board. It's pathetic.

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   
No matter how hard I try, I can't think of a scenario in this where the U.S. and Russia don't begin fighting each other.

I wonder when it's over if the Syria's will be speaking English or Russian.

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: fleabit
This site has become as anti-American as they come. It's almost a chore to even come here any more. It doesn't even matter if several countries are involved and America has nothing to do with it, it somehow reflects on how terrible Obama / our country is, and how amazing and wonderful other countries and their leaders are. Putin is a savior to many on this board. It's pathetic.

Why not look at the facts and eschew emotional judgments

People are responding to the American failure to react to barbarism and their game of supporting jihadist terrorist murderers for geo-political games...

The two leaders, Saddam and Khadafy who stopped jihadi lunacy in their countries are, because of the US, dead and jihadi madness has invaded those countries and now the US wants to do the same to Syria.

Those are the FACTS which people judge by

How do you judge?

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: AceWombat04
In my opinion, there is no sheriff. There is no law. There is no order. No good guys. No heroes stepping in to save the day.

Just an increasingly chaotic gyre of insanity on all sides. With innocent victims caught between, desperate for survival and some glimmer of hope. As those safe in their beds at night in the more developed, less war-torn parts of the world pick a side, and cheer it on.

Apologies for my too-apparent cynicism about this situation. Probably need sleep.

Peace.

One has to always choose the most right side in life in any given time and place

No bodies perfect.

In WWII to stop Hitler--who would kill everybody--the US allied with Stalin.

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Saddam was responsible for the deaths of thousands. Not sure what you're talking about here. Bad argument. You just said that Saddam is necessary because he has the uncanny ability to gas his own people as well as use chemical weapons to fight his neighbors in the name of suppressing terrorism. Is this ok with you? I realize that "jihadis" as you like to label them aren't adding to the regions stability, but there is no one in their right mind who thinks Saddam was necessary for peace or stability in the region. Good lord man, Saddam was a monster.
edit on 11-10-2015 by BrokedownChevy because: Quoted wrong person

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
Big F_____ deal It was a navigation error...It happens

It's obvious your not a pilot or you would not have said "it happens".

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 11:13 PM
link   
So it turns out it was not the Russians at all. And the radar lock came from a Syrian ground radar source. So much for this story.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 12:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrSpad
So it turns out it was not the Russians at all. And the radar lock came from a Syrian ground radar source. So much for this story.

I would fly a long the Iran border, boy you would not believe the locks I would get...hehe like 20 at a time.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

originally posted by: AceWombat04

Peace.

One has to always choose the most right side in life in any given time and place

No bodies perfect.

In WWII to stop Hitler--who would kill everybody--the US allied with Stalin.

This is not WW2, and the planet as a whole does not face an existential threat. In my opinion, this is merely two powers jockeying for long term strategic position, using the ISIS crisis as a casus belli to that end, and exploiting the region in general. This is an internal civil war in a country neither side fully understands culturally, in terms of sectarian divides, or in terms of predicting any sort of definitive outcome irrespective of who "wins." It's more analogous to Vietnam than to WW2 imho.

I do not subscribe to the theory of the lesser of two evils unless a situation is far more existentially imminent than this. And even then, there is a distinction I make between deciding what the "least bad" course of action is from a purely analytical standpoint, and emotionally "siding with" one actor or another in terms of any sort of perceived altruism or moral authority.

There are no good guys here. Just national and strategic interests capitalizing on a situation that has emerged in what they would both very much like to be their spheres of influence. If I were an Iraqi or a Syrian, then I would feel the situation to be far more imminent and existential, as ISIS is certainly an existential threat to both states. And then perhaps I could feel compelled to choose a side, out of mere survival. But the West and Russia are not acting solely to defeat ISIS. That much is clear imho. They are acting to - in the case of Russia - prop up a regional ally as a hedge against their competitor's influence and to secure the port of Tartus, and - in the case of the West - improve the security of their regional aspirations footholds, and with the hope of kicking Assad out and establishing a friendly regime in Syria.

Choosing the lesser of two evils works on an analytical level. But the emotional cheering on of either side and the proclamations that one side is heroic while the other is purely selfishly motivated is what I cannot agree with personally. And there has been a lot of that lately. Meanwhile, those caught in the middle are suffering enormously daily. From refugees, to those still trapped or dying, to those who survive but lose family, or homes, or their livelihood. And as such, I cannot side with either major power alignment currently playing chess with human lives in the region.

What everyone else feels/believes is their prerogative, and I do not seek to change their minds. And I no longer engage in protracted debates on the internet as it is fruitless and a waste of time or energy, so this will be my final post in this topic about this. My approach to such discussions today is to simply state my opinion and move on.

But that is my opinion. No hostility or negativity should be inferred.

Peace.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join