It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A good Book for Halloween

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   
i'm reading Walpurgis night (Walpurgisnacht) by TextGustave Meyrink (1868-1932)

Meyrink is not too well-known in German literature but often read by searchers for the mystic. i remember long past whispers from my youth when friends would tell that Meyrink might know something more than others. lately his books are gaining popularity

the book sometimes also translated ‘Witches' Night’ is difficult to read. it was written in 1917 by an Austria-Hungarian living in Prague with not only a peculiar German-type dialect but also uses that typical oldfashioned but charming grammar of his time. he later moved to Germany but always returned to Prague in is novels. Meyrink’s background and the politics behind Germans and Austrians living in Prague is fascinating by itself

the story fits well with Halloween time this October. the first few pages already started with the spooky event of Brock the dog barking alarm in the dark of the night. as those involved get to the alarming source they detect a sleepwalker on their brickwall. he promptly falls and is unconscious. the involved carry him to their lounge where he seemingly finds back to reality. but he is observed with horror because he acts out a reality that should not exist and one of the witnesses recognizes him as his dead brother

now I can’t put the book down

an illustration by Stefan Eggeler for Walpurgisnacht with spooky creatures flying above the Hradschin and the castle of Prague

i do recommend this book

www.ariadnebooks.com...
Written in 1917 Walpurgisnacht continues the message of The Green Face, of a decadent society on the brink of collapse and of a Europe past salvation. In it we see Meyrink's exceptional narrative powers at their height. "

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Any of Clive Barker's 'Book of Blood' series.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

both Clive Barker and the Books of Blood series look interesting and promising. i will definitely look into those soon despite all the blood on the covers. thanks for mentioning

there is also the movie Book of Blood

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Haunted - Chuck Palahniuk
The Wasp Factory - Iain Banks

Strange Embrace - David Hines
From Hell - Alan Moore
Area 10 - Christos Gage

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: blupblup

thanks for the additions. never heard of any of them.

i'll check them out later

edit on 11-10-2015 by lucia2389 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join