It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"So far in 2015, we’ve had 274 days and 294 mass shootings"

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: SPECULUM

Yes an article written by a gun buff and a lobbyist that isn't peer reviewed should make us weep.
Two people from Harvard said that, not Harvard as a whole. There is a difference.

Lol, funny the damn liberal hippie college's that are the problem can be used for this huh.

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: SPECULUM
Harvard University says more guns less crime....Read it N weep Peeps

www.beliefnet.com...

Oh snap! And guess what? President Obama got his law degree from Harvard! And he was the President/Editor of the Harvard Law Review!

Thanks for agreeing that opinions from Harvard alumni are not to be taken lightly.

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockintitz
a reply to: Astyanax

I'd give them a firearm before I would ever take your viewpoint seriously.

Remember 99% of legally owned guns have never been used in the commission of a crime.

Well just to be clear, there are more than 300 million guns in America. Even if only 1% of those were used in a crime, that's still 3 million guns used in a crime. That's still a really high number.

Also, a 2004 report found that the average American gun owner owned 6.6 to 7.9 guns each. And the 3% of Americans who own the most guns own 25 or more. So your numbers come off as biased since a gun owner is unlikely to use all of their guns in a single crime.

The actual number of guns reported in our survey varied depending on how the question was asked and who answered the question. Individual firearm owners (n = 702) reported owning an average of 6.6 (95% confidence interval (CI) 5.2 to 7.9, median 3) working firearms. On further examination, it seemed that individuals who owned ⩾4 firearms (with an average of 12 firearms per person) were greatly affecting the mean. When outliers representing the top 3% of gun owners (those owning >25 guns) were removed, the average number of working firearms per owner was 5.0 (95% CI 4.6 to 5.4). On the basis of estimates of 26% of adults in the US owning at least one firearm, we estimated that 57 million adults owned 283 million firearms (95% CI 260 to 305 million).

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

In other words, if I owned 6 guns & killed someone with 1 gun, it would still leave 5 of my guns "that were never used in the commission of a crime".

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   
How many times are we going to have this same stupid thread?

We might as well be discussing how to prove/disprove the existence of God.

A large number of Americans own guns and we vote. The US Constitution protects the right to own firearms. It's that simple.

If you're happy with your own country's gun situation, fine. Don't assume that we want the same thing for ours.

Nobody wants to propose a solution for the criminal problem, they only want to focus on guns... funny how that works.

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Answer

Nobody wants to propose a solution for the criminal problem, they only want to focus on guns... funny how that works.

Well they do, one side says add more guns to combat that while others say we should put more restrictions on buying them to combat it. Which gets turned into all out bans when that isn't always what is being said.

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Answer
How many times are we going to have this same stupid thread?

We might as well be discussing how to prove/disprove the existence of God.

There are a lot of those threads too.

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 06:35 PM
link   
There's a multitude of reasons for this. Technology's reaped numerous detrimental effects on people's brains. Wifi in particular has been found to affect people's sleep patterns as well as halting the growth of plants entirely. Cell phone use altering people's brains as well.

The separation of man from nature has been nothing but detrimental to mankind. The studies showing the beneficial effects of nature are quite numerous.

So if we've a disruption of peace stemming from man's separation from nature, as well detrimental effects stemming from the use of technology, should it be said that these effects could be partially responsible for all of these shootings?

Saying could be is obviously folly. The propagation of chaos stemming from these things is obviously to blame in more ways than one. The disruption of neural patterns, for one, the auxiliary effect of technology causing people to separate themselves from people, a tertiary effect being people's inability to interact with other people, and therefore being far more capable/apt at dealing with other people, for two, I'm sure there are others, but I don't feel like searching my mind.

Anyway, lessen the technology, less mass shootings. I believe this is true.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 06:01 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

3 million people out of 300 million do not own guns to commit crimes with...

Bad use of twisting numbers there

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Stress man, stress....

Now we just need to figure out where the stress originates.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 06:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: SPECULUM
Thats not unusual...Very Predominant in High Crime Areas..Mostly Gang Shootings.

There are over 350 million People in the US, with half the People Armed...That percentage of shootings barely registers. More People are killed by Doctors

Vioxx alone killed over 40,000 people...Thats a low estimate. Some claim it was over 80,000, as over 80 million people took that drug before it was recalled and banned... www.drugwatch.com...

40,000? That's child play. Check out this report from beta blockers in Europe. 800,000 deaths in 5 years of tracking.

www.forbes.com... rope-over-the-last-5-years/

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 06:34 AM
link   
a reply to: MyHappyDogShiner

Let me see... Bad job market, falling wages, increased expenses, and almost no time off throughout the year. That sounds like a recipe for success.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 08:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax

So, it has very little, if anything at all, to do with guns.

With the actual weapons themselves? Yes, very little.

But it has a everything to do with Americans' love affair with guns and violence.

Americans need to have their guns taken away from them because, every day, they prove themselves unfit to own them.

Constitution or no Constitution, that's the ground reality. America needs to be disarmed.

What a pity no-one is powerful enough to do it. So they will go on killing each other's children. Because that's the American way.

O-Tay ya little attention monger. You can stop now. " Mind Firmly Closed " < That little phrase ..... lol .......well, it's simply precious !

Why would anyone even attempt to sway your opinion ? Honestly, remove that tag if you care to be taken seriously. : )

" So they will go on killing each other's ( UK English ) children ." Appeal to Emotion is a logical fallacy which will more then likely be

rejected by the majority of highly educated members on ATS. My reply to your post is not an attack on your character. I sincerely find

your comments humorous. Peace

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Help save the U.S. from the deranged, homicidal, autistic and vaccinated, ATS: Petition

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   

America is like that. You are just one individual. And since you are American, you are not competent to judge this issue. It's far too emotionally and politically loaded an issue for any American to evaluate it properly.

Eh, not really. It's as simple as this:

The constitution is the supreme authority of these lands, and the 2nd amendment of the constitution ensures the right of the people to bear arms. Love guns, hate guns, it doesn't matter. It is what it is, and that is what it is.

Don't expect most of us to hand over the guns without another amendment to the constitution.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: Answer

Well they do, one side says add more guns to combat that while others say we should put more restrictions on buying them to combat it. Which gets turned into all out bans when that isn't always what is being said.

So when exactly will someone propose a way to keep guns from criminals. If all you ever do is try and push more laws for legal owners to follow and ignore both the black market and private sales you have no ntetest in keeping guns from criminals or reducing gun crime. You simple want to change the Irvin of sale to another venue. That's not solving as issue, it's brushing it under the carpet and how can you take someone who thinks like that seriously?
edit on 12-10-2015 by Reallyfolks because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   
The best part about statistics: "Figures don't lie, but liars can figure". - Mark Twain (among others)

You can make any statistic seem better or worse just by changing the formula.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: avgguy

Not in Europe! They have socialized medicine which proves they automatically care more for their people ... so how could a big pharma drug kill more than it was allowed to here in the US?

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Not by the numbers.
A handful of abberrant people DO NOT render the entire populace measurable to that standard.
WE are quite responsable considering hpow mand MILLIONS yet live in peace without slughtering demographcs as comes from EASTERN people who are not responsable with guns,so they remove them and SLAUGHTER the ones who are educated socially powerful and those who are useless they force into labor.

I THINK I'll just KEEP MY GUNS ,judgement and maintain my personal security rather than FOLD everytime another nutball kills,so when I CAN I will kill the nutball.

NOT to ALSO mention AMERICA are the MASTERS of guns on earth, some mounted on ships, are keeping CHINA at bay from your country because YOU haven't sufficent military to even defend yourselves so WE have to do it. Should we take those guns away too?
edit on 12-10-2015 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-10-2015 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax
a reply to: Sublimecraft

So, it has very little, if anything at all, to do with guns.

With the actual weapons themselves? Yes, very little.

But it has a everything to do with Americans' love affair with guns and violence.

Americans need to have their guns taken away from them because, every day, they prove themselves unfit to own them.

Constitution or no Constitution, that's the ground reality. America needs to be disarmed.

What a pity no-one is powerful enough to do it. So they will go on killing each other's children. Because that's the American way.

Bull#.

[url=http://www.ijreview.com/2015/06/348197-obama-said-mass-shootings-dont-happen-in-advanced-countries-like-in-us-one-chart-proves-him-wrong/]Source[ /url]

Why don't you rail on about those murderous Swedes and Finns?

Note the top five have strict gun controls compared to the U.S.

Harte
edit on 10/12/2015 by Harte because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   
From 1970-1975(under 1400 days) in Cambodia around 1,300,000 died in the killing fields

From 1939-1945(under 2100 days) around 6+ million died

Do I need to go on?

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join