It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"So far in 2015, we’ve had 274 days and 294 mass shootings"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 02:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: eugenic
In America? Ur average day.

See: shootingtracker.com...

and

www.washingtonpost.com...

for FBI versus WP's definition

Are you from America?

I only ask.. Because, as an American, my average day entails driving to work, then working, then driving home. Maybe a stop for some grub along the way. Maybe getting a flat tire fixed.

Nobody gets shot in my average day.

edit on 10-10-2015 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 02:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

So, it has very little, if anything at all, to do with guns.

With the actual weapons themselves? Yes, very little.

But it has a everything to do with Americans' love affair with guns and violence.

Americans need to have their guns taken away from them because, every day, they prove themselves unfit to own them.

Constitution or no Constitution, that's the ground reality. America needs to be disarmed.

What a pity no-one is powerful enough to do it. So they will go on killing each other's children. Because that's the American way.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 02:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

Americans' love affair with guns and violence.

Affair? That's a broad implication. I never once strayed from my belief in the success of an armed populace.

In fact I'd say I'm pretty loyal.

Americans need to have their guns taken away from them because, every day, they prove themselves unfit to own them.

Judge me without knowing me?

You sure you're ok with that?
edit on 10-10-2015 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 02:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Moresby

originally posted by: SPECULUM

Vioxx alone killed over 40,000 people...Thats a low estimate. Some claim it was over 80,000, as over 80 million people took that drug before it was recalled and banned... www.drugwatch.com...

And the MSM is not going to cover that story everyday. Because they are bought and paid for by big pharma.

They're rather spend that time trying to take our rights away.

Correct, Guns are irrelevant in the bigger picture, but its all those lil pricks got, and they will never let gun related tragedy go to waste, while they line their sick twisted pockets with Pharmaceutical Genocide Money

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 03:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax

But it has a everything to do with Americans' love affair with guns and violence.

Constitution or no Constitution, that's the ground reality. America needs to be disarmed.

What a pity no-one is powerful enough to do it. So they will go on killing each other's children. Because that's the American way.

You are deluded with Idiocy. Speak no more, as True Americans are Patriots and are willing to lay down their lives to Protect what was given them by God and every Brave Patriot that came before them.

If you are not an American? Focus on your own countries issues, as ours are none of your Concern

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 03:08 AM
link   
I'm starting to believe the answer to gun violence in America is to build a wall around Chicago and allow them to become their own country, because their statistics are bringing us down...
heyjackass.com...
www.thedailybeast.com...

As of July 25 of this year, there have been 192 mass shootings, according to the Chicago Tribune.

Mind you, this city has one of the strictest firearm control policies in the nation... so strict that they are repeatedly brought before the Supreme Court where their laws are often cast down because they violate the 2nd Amendment rights of the law abiding.

Looks like some of the cities with the strictest controls, Chicago, DC, and Detroit are also the most dangerous places in this country. It's a dystopian hell where the law abiding are stuck at the mercy of those who have never respected the law.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 05:23 AM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Funny thing about stats, you can chop them up and manipulate them to say whatever you want, for whatever agenda you have.

Besides, Chicago does not have the highest rate of gun violence in the US and is not the Murder capital.

Here it shows that Chicago was only the 13th worst city for overall murders.

US cities by crime rate

Here it shows that Chicago was only the 9th highest city for gun homicides

Top 11 cities with worst gun homicide rate

Also, if Chicago was actually responsible for why gun violence rates are so high in the US, then you'd expect Illinois to be high on the list of both gun and overall murders.

Yet, Illinois is 23rd on the list of states with the worst overall murder rate and 24th on the list of states with the worst gun murder rate.

Gun violence by US state

If you wanted to go by overall deaths by gun, you will see that all the states that have notoriously lax gun laws come in the top 20. Where as Illinois, New York and California don't even make the top 20 for gun deaths. Which kind of just proves that having a gun in your home causes you or your family to be far more likely to die from a gun, than if you didn't have a gun in your home.

Top 20 states for gun deaths

But anyway, keep convincing yourselves that its all Chicago's fault that gun murder rates are so staggeringly high and that the rest of the US is just one big peaceful utopia... Because of gun culture.
edit on 10-10-2015 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Funny thing about stats, you can chop them up and manipulate them to say whatever you want, for whatever agenda you have.

You mean like you just did bringing a "per capita" stat into an argument obviously centering on a direct number of incidents argument?

Not a single damn thing you just linked to changes or refutes anything in my post. All your reply demonstrates is that there are way too many people living in Chicago.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft
a reply to: eugenic

Yep - America certainly has a cultural and mental health issue it needs to deal with because lots of countries have gun rights for citizens but only the US experiences this type of event on a reoccurring basis.

Also keep in mind, while some believe gun control means the government 'is comin' to steal ur guns', Canada also has gun control and they also have one of the highest per capita gun ownership rates.

So gun control is not necessary synonymous with 'losing your guns'

Canada did stumble in this respect when the Liberals tried to bring in a gun registry [which was unneeded, a failure that cost 2b and scrapped by current government-which it didnt even need at the time] but it's other forms of gun control are logical and they do work to make sure the people buying guns are fit to use them [there are courses and training which are mandatory]

Ironically, the flow of illegal guns in Canada usually comes from the US rather than diverted legal firearms locally.

The point of all this being is that you can have gun control which doesnt violate people's 2nd amendment. You may have the right to bear arms, but nowhere does it say its wrong or forbidden to have proper checks and balances to exercise that right.
edit on 10-10-2015 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: boncho

You may have the right to bear arms, but nowhere does it say its wrong or forbidden to have proper checks and balances to exercise that right.

But it says shall not be infringed!!!!!!
Obviously that means it needs to be a free for all where anyone can go buy a gun and get it right away.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969
Nothing scarier than uneducated people that own many firearms, but hey what do i know, im canadian, we have the 7th most firearms per capita in the world, we also have alot of medicated people. Its gotta be whats in the water or obamas fault right?

I know plenty of people around here who have barely a 5th grade education and are more proficient with a firearm then most people will ever be

Your level of schooling is not proportionate to your knowledge or handling of firearms........

Your statement was ignorant and baseless, if it were accurate we wouldnt have Campus shootings, you know by "educated" people......

edit on 10/10/2015 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax

That was so well put...completely agree. If we are ranked one of the worst countries in the world for gun violence, then we should be disarmed.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: game over man
I handled firearms since 1961. I've owned them since 1972 and yet have never killed anyone, never pointed a gun at anyone. I've offed snakes, doves, squirrels, rabbits and an injured raccoon once but never another human. Most of my family members are the same, have a stash of guns that we like to fire at targets but NONE OF US have ever killed or even pointed a gun at another human being. Most of the people who live in my neighborhood have firearms and know how to use them. In fact a dear friend of mine saved herself from a home invasion by yelling, "If you come through that door I'm going to shoot you." when a thug broke the glass in her back door and was reaching through. The sound of that gun being racked made him believe that if he continued with his plan he would be in a world of hurt.
If you fear guns you shouldn't own them but I have a right---as a human being---to be able to defend myself from bad guys with the most efficient weapon possible. I believe that gun control is a secure holster and steady aim---the only kind of gun control we need.
What we need is control of the pharmaceutical companies and the military-industrial complex which have combined to purchase our government servants and the media. It is said we fear the things about which we are ignorant so the only suggestion I have for you is to educate yourself about firearms. They don't go charging out on their own to do destruction.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

One thing for certain is pro gun debates are totally worthless because gun enthusiasts make no sense. "IF" we are ranked the worst country in the world then we should be disarmed.

Just like all things that are destroying the environment and humanity, are regulated and restricted from over fishing, to cutting down trees, to property, to censorship, to flight, aerospace, electricity, heat, water, sewage, everything is controlled or our better being. It's not the guns, it's the people in possession of the guns. So, "IF" we are ranked the worst country in the world then we should be disarmed. Or maybe not disarmed but pretty damn close to it. You will adjust to it, don't worry. If we aren't and compared to the rest of the world our gun violence is ranked one of the best, then we don't need to regulate it or disarm it.

I'm not sure where we stand in gun violence ranking with the rest of the world. Nor do I care to look it up.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: game over man
I tend to think that putting the criminals away in secure jails would go a long toward toward reducing those statistics since the studies I've seen say that repeat offenders are quite common in the system. I learned just yesterday that a local guy who committed cold blooded murder 14 years ago was just released a few months ago and is already back in the local jail for an assault. In my mind first degree murderers should be locked away forever if the jury doesn't deem them worthy of being sent to meet their maker.
Disarming law abiding citizens makes no sense whatsoever.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Crazy that some people want their rights taken away so easily.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Everything is fine. Nothing is wrong.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: rockintitz

I never once strayed from my belief in the success of an armed populace.

Judge me without knowing me?

Your entire stance in this debate appears to be 'I'm not like that'.

America is like that. You are just one individual. And since you are American, you are not competent to judge this issue. It's far too emotionally and politically loaded an issue for any American to evaluate it properly.

Look at this typically American response, from a post below yours:

Originally posted by SPECULUM
You are deluded with Idiocy. Speak no more, as True Americans are Patriots and are willing to lay down their lives to Protect what was given them by God and every Brave Patriot that came before them.

Would you say that the person who wrote that rubbish was fit to be entrusted with a firearm?

edit on 10/10/15 by Astyanax because: one should know when to hold one's fire.

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Harvard University says more guns less crime....Read it N weep Peeps

www.beliefnet.com...

edit on 11-10-2015 by SPECULUM because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

And since you are American, you are not competent to judge this issue. It's far too emotionally and politically loaded an issue for any American to evaluate it properly. 

I don't see why your opinion should hold more weight than mine.

Especially since you are talking about major policy changes in a country you presumably don't live in.

America's strength lies with the individual. I shouldn't have my rights removed because someone I don't know abused them.

Would you say that the person who wrote that rubbish was fit to be entrusted with a firearm? 

I'd give them a firearm before I would ever take your viewpoint seriously.

Remember 99% of legally owned guns have never been used in the commission of a crime.
edit on 11-10-2015 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join