It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turkey shoots down Russian jet

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: JonStone

Thanks for the post OP. If it really happened it seems more likely
to me that Turkish planes crossed over the boarder into Syria,
not the other way around, and of course, Russian Mig's would do a lock.

I think Turkey is pissed that ISIS is being fully kicked the crap out
of, and as far as I'm concerned Turkey is a real terrorist state.

Just my two cents.

Rebel 5

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: spy66

Phew.
I was gonna bug out.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Regardless of where or who was involved something this big would get out. I don't see both sides having reason to hide it. Either Turkey violated Syrian airspace and shot down the mig or Russia violated Turkish airspace and got shot down. If it was the latter Turkey would be complaining to NATO right now and if the former is the case then Russia would have called them out. Also a jet being shot down would have witnesses for sure and we would be seeing a bit more about it than the couple of sources so far. All of the articles I saw were copy paste from one source...Scott Campbell...so it makes sense that it didn't actually happen. Again I say skunk works this one.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Turkey shoots nothing down, and Russian jets just will keep flying ...
they do more good then any other jets of other nations =))

prove me wrong xx
edit on 10-10-2015 by ZakOlongapo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

originally posted by: Xcathdra
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Actually the US has held its people responsible so maybe you can give us specific examples of which issues you are referring to. As for allies take it up with those countries you have issues with. I find it hypocritical to ignore the abuses caused by Assad and his regime, not to mention Iran and theirs - both nations which sponsor terrorism via Hezbollah and Hamas.

There is a difference in collateral damage and the intentional targeting of civilians, which Syria has been doing.

As for Turkey again you seem to be ignoring the fact Syrian warplanes have been shot down when they violated Turkish airspace, not to mention Syrian artillery being fired into Turkey near refugee camps. Or Syria shooting down Turkish aircraft when it violated their airspace.

Do you really think Russia would tolerate armed Turkish warplanes violating its airspace? The opposite holds true and since Russia has made it clear they are their to fight ISIS they have no grounds for entering Turkish airspace. Russia using the same lie - our forces got lost - didn't work in Ukraine and didn't work in Turkey.

You guys also seem to ignore the fact Syria has stated it welcomes foreign aircraft in the fight against ISIS. Any examples of US aircraft / coalition aircraft attacking Syrian government forces? Are you intentionally ignoring the Syrian position because it undermines the argument about violating Syrian airspace?

BS I'm in the US & I'm an American. What people have been held responsible for the 160,000 plus dead civilians in our Iraq War? Or the 80,000 plus dead Afghan civilians from our occupation? Or the millions of dead civilians in the Vietnam War? Or the entire torture "enhanced interrogation" scandal that our government won't even fully reveal, much less prosecute? Civilians killed by the US are literally considered "collateral damage". How is that holding people responsible?

Also, you should've read my post instead of kneejerk reacting to it. In my initial post, I literally wrote this about Turkey: "I agree that legally they would be within their right to do so." That's because I think all sovereign nations should have the right to defend themselves, just as all people should have the right to defend themselves. So don't twist my words.

But many of the Western flights are providing support for the "moderate rebels". WTF does that have to do w/fighting ISIS? The entire reason those groups are "rebels" is because they're rebelling against Assad, not against ISIS. We provide funding, training & arms to groups that are fighting against Assad. That clearly doesn't fit your description of Syria "welcoming foreign aircraft in the fight against ISIS."

In fact, the reality is just the opposite. The Western countries have been bombing in Syria for more than a year now, and ISIS was just as strong as ever. So I find it hard to believe that our militaries are only there to fight ISIS when we're both arming, funding, and training groups that are against Assad and get angry at Russia for actually destroying ISIS & al Nusra positions.

ONly INTENTIONAL CRIMES ar e held to account in warzones. Collatorral damage is not a crime. Civilians died FROM BOTH SIDES not just US/allied strikes. IN iraq most of the dead were from IEDs and terrorist killing because they know how to use propaganda to hinder operations.

Wow! Do you not recognize how horrific your argument is?! As long as someone claims it was an accident, they're free to kill whoever they want? Really?! That's your argument? So as long as someone says they didn't know there were civilians in a building, you think it's ok to blow them up?

So what about the weddings & funerals we've hit with cruise missile strikes & drone strikes? How do you justify killing the civilians then when it's known that they aren't the target? How is it unintentional when we knowingly blow up a terrorism suspect that's among civilians? That's as intentional as it gets. Not to mention Vietnam, where we literally massacred entire villages because of the possibility that guerrillas were among the civilians (same for Fallujah in Iraq). Even when using your disgusting rationalization, we still aren't held accountable for the human rights abuses & flat out massacres we commit.

But thank you for the response. At least I know the mindset of the people I'm dealing with now.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Us too, muslims who want to kill everyone that doesnt agree with their caliphate

Try to stay on topic

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: OptimisticCynic

Us too, muslims who want to kill everyone that doesnt agree with their caliphate

Try to stay on topic

What does your comment have to do with mine? There's no accepted Caliphate right now. And how many Muslims are trying to kill anyone who doesn't agree with your imagined Caliphate? ISIS? The vast majority of their victims are other Muslims. So how does that fit into your narrative?

Also, my original comment was about Syria having just as much of a right to shoot down any uninvited planes in their airspace as Turkey does. That's very much on topic. The posts after that were responding to other people's responses to my post.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   
AND, Turkey has joined the Western cabal in trying to overthrow the sovereign government of Syria, INCLUDING training, arming, and funding "rebels" in Turkey to cross the border and attack the regime.

So please, spare us your talk about sovereignty and airspace. Turkey has it coming with it's violations of Syria.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Daily Mail is still carrying this as a legit story.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Russian jet 'shot down by Turkish forces after planes violated country's airspace on Syrian bombing run'
Unconfirmed reports claim a Russian jet was shot down by Turkish forces
Eyewitnesses on social media said they saw an explosion in northern Syria
It was alleged that Russian fighter planes had violated Turkey's airspace
Nato has previously warned of the 'extreme danger' of such incursions
See full coverage of Russia's military intervention in Syria

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: JonStone
There are unconfirmed reports that Turkey had shot down a Russian jet in its own territory, sending the jet crashing down on the Syrian side of the border. Nothing official yet or on MSM, but some people reporting are Journalists in the region. Some people are freaking out because this could force an armed conflict between Russia and NATO. I'm not sure how events would unfold if this turns out to be true. Russia and NATO are already yelling at each other.

A RUSSIAN jet has been shot down by Turkish forces after it flew into the country's airspace, according to as yet unconfirmed reports circulating on social media.

According to reports, eyewitnesses saw a large explosion in Huraytan, northern Syria, while three fighter jets were hovering above.

One journalist tweeted that three Turkish planes were responding to "mysterious" lock-ons from Mig-29 jets, which are used by Putin's forces.

Express.co.uk has contacted the Turkish government and the Russian military but neither could be reached for comment.

Source 1

Source 2
Anybody who believes this is gullable, Turkey would be destroyed,

1. This is more disinfo, remember back in 2011/2012 when the U.S. said Pres. Assad was about to fall, remember when the Isrealis had the terrorists put stories out on the "Internet" of the IAF bombing the SS-26 "Yakhonts" at the Syrian Base, which was not true this is the same thing, this story is just to get people to say "See how weak Russia is they are just a paper tiger they know better than to try to retaliate, on Turkey, because Turky is a NATO member and Rus knows they'll get beat up by Nato so they'll just cover this up." That is what The West wants people esp here on ATS to believe.

#1. Turkey would NEVER shoot a Russian Plane down, because they would be destroyed.

#2. The Russia Warplanes would have detected the Turk Plane and shot it down it's self.

#3. Russian Ground Base Radar detects about 6000km/ 3600 miles (I'll give the sources later) and they would have given that info to the Rus planes & that Turk plane would be no-more.

The simple fact I have to post #'s 1-3 to remind, or teach you about Rus's Airforce Tech shows you guys who believe this report are VERY MUCH gullable.
edit on 10-10-2015 by ATSWATCHER because: ihjjbjj

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   
It's still an act of war and violation of national sovereignty for Israel to launch strikes on Syria...

Who cares if they launch missiles from across the border without flying in..?

That's like saying as long as Russia only launches an ICBM at New York and they don't fly over the US, it's all good..

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   
One sentence...

Fog of war...

I guess people are gullible also for believing everything the AP tells us also..

Allot of people on this thread is calling people names because the MSM has not confirmed this story...

I find that odd...

So it is not true until the corporate ran and State ran media for russia tells us it is?

Who sounds stupid now?

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: ATSWATCHER

Turkey would be "destroyed" by Russia? Their Army and Navy dwarfs Russia's and their air force is nothing to be sniffed at. The only thing Russia has going for it is a large nuclear stockpile, but they aren't about to use that. So, pray tell, exactly how and why would Turkey be "destroyed" by Russia?

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

originally posted by: OptimisticCynic

Try to stay on topic

What does your comment have to do with mine? There's no accepted Caliphate right now. And how many Muslims are trying to kill anyone who doesn't agree with your imagined Caliphate? ISIS? The vast majority of their victims are other Muslims. So how does that fit into your narrative?

Also, my original comment was about Syria having just as much of a right to shoot down any uninvited planes in their airspace as Turkey does. That's very much on topic. The posts after that were responding to other people's responses to my post.

Watch this and cry......................

www.youtube.com...

and I would add.........that Russians are doing a solid job at bombing out the Jihadists in Syria. Does not matter if they are ISIS or AQ or Nusra or others.

It would be utterly utterly STUPID on the part of US/NATO to hinder the Russian efforts and try to chase them away, even by diplomatic means.

Turkey being a supporter of ISIS will try to foment some trouble and pit NATO against Russia but NATO being 95% western alliance should be extremely careful of walking into a trap laid by a Jihad supporting nation like Turkey.

From experience it is now more than clear that Assad is the best alternative in Syria. On the similar lines of repentence that is being openly and shyly expressed at the ouster of Saddam and Gaddaffi in their countries.
edit on 10-10-2015 by victor7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: stumason

Russia can have Syria and Iraq engage Turkish forces on ground and all the while destroy their vital assets via cruise missiles launched from far away. This includes the naval assets destroyed by Anti ship missiles launched through Crimea and RuAF.

In 3 days Turkey will be fast digging a hole in the ground to hide in.

Doubt NATO nations will agree to aid the Jihad supporting nation which is a liability on it anyways.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bicent76
One sentence...

Fog of war...

I guess people are gullible also for believing everything the AP tells us also..

Allot of people on this thread is calling people names because the MSM has not confirmed this story...

I find that odd...

So it is not true until the corporate ran and State ran media for russia tells us it is?

Who sounds stupid now?

1. A smart man would have said , I remember when the U.S. said Assad is a dictator, but it's prooven he was elected my the people of Syria.

2. I remember the U.S. said in 2012 Assad was just about to fall, but he wasn't because most if not all of the battles the Syrian Army won/wins

3. I remember the U.S./ Nato keep saying 100K, now 250K Syrian civilians killed, but it's more like 6500 Civilians killed by they Nusra, FSA, Takfiries, Salafies, Whabbies, and any other Fees that are there, thier are no U.S./ Nato bodycounters in Syria, so these numbers are 1000 yes 1000% lies.

3. I remeber the U.S. says "Assad's Army", when in reality he is Elected/Wanted by the Syrian people, so those men are The Syrian Army, not a dictator's Army

4. I remember how the U.S. CONSTANTLY tries to make "The opposition" to Pres. Assad look like they are Syrians, when in reality ONLY "The FSA" are Syrians the other are "LITTERALY" forengers which means whats happend/happening in Syria is an "Invasion" not an uprising, & the FSA ( which have weapons and are shooting-bombing Syrians) represent 0.02% of the Population in Syria, so The Gov of Syria has EVERYRIGHT to KILL them.

So yes your question is correct, "WHO SOUNDS STUPID NOW???"

edit on 10-10-2015 by ATSWATCHER because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: victor7

Haha, right. I am well aware of your fantastist military scenarios and this is another example...

Russia will have Syria and Iraq engage Turkey on the ground?
oh deary me - how exactly? The Syrian Army is defunct and doesn't even have access to the Turkish border and the same can be said of the Iraqi Army. Neither has been able to stand up to rag-tag rebels, much less the largest Army in NATO.

Russia cruise missiles? Assuming they even hit the right country in the first place, I highly doubt they would have any meaningful impact on Turkey, as they have more than adequate air defence systems. They would also annihilate the Russian Black Sea fleet which would be launching them and be firing back their own missiles.

In all your fantasies, you seem to have Russian operating in a vacuum, where they have all the play and all the initiative and you seem to assume the other nation will just sit there and take it. That would never happen. Russia would hate a conflict with Turkey, no matter how much you might make a mess in your panties imaging how it would go.

As for NATO - they would respond. To not respond would mean the end of the Alliance and that is simply not acceptable.

As I have said before, the only thing that has protected Russia since the end of the Cold War is their nuclear stockpile - the rest of their military is vastly overshadowed by NATO capability and, if we're all honest, is a shambolic mess largely staffed with poorly trained conscripts and 30 year old equipment.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   
This actually being reported on the MSM now ..
All be it not very great sources.

The Express

Daily Mail

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: stumason
a reply to: ATSWATCHER

Turkey would be "destroyed" by Russia? Their Army and Navy dwarfs Russia's and their air force is nothing to be sniffed at. The only thing Russia has going for it is a large nuclear stockpile, but they aren't about to use that. So, pray tell, exactly how and why would Turkey be "destroyed" by Russia?
Thier Airforce is better equiped Su-27-35's/ MiG-29C's & upgrades.

SS-26 Iskander L ( LongRanges) Cruisemissiles that will Kill The Gov of Turky. Subs that will blow up, 1 Million troops, Russ will need only 300k to deal with them, Directed Energy Weapons, ( Please don't give my that crap about DEW don't exist cuz they do)
Do you remember the USS Donald Cook incident, do you thi k Turkey has tech that can stop that? Hahahahahs if you do.

I know what yourgoing to say, ALL your going to repeat is what the U.S. says Russian tech and thier Military numbers are over rated and they don't have as many as we do. Which is 100% False.

So the simple fact you asked for this, are you saying Turk has better tech than Rus, that Turks F-16's are Block 52/ 60's AESA Radars/ Tomohawk-2 extra long range super INFRARED guided Seekers Tthat will put Russia in it's place! Hahahahahahahahahah I love you anti-Rus people analogies, you guys are the ones that are gonna have heart attacks when you see who the winner on WW-3 is.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join