It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turkey shoots down Russian jet

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 09:09 PM
link   
There are unconfirmed reports that Turkey had shot down a Russian jet in its own territory, sending the jet crashing down on the Syrian side of the border. Nothing official yet or on MSM, but some people reporting are Journalists in the region. Some people are freaking out because this could force an armed conflict between Russia and NATO. I'm not sure how events would unfold if this turns out to be true. Russia and NATO are already yelling at each other.

A RUSSIAN jet has been shot down by Turkish forces after it flew into the country's airspace, according to as yet unconfirmed reports circulating on social media.

According to reports, eyewitnesses saw a large explosion in Huraytan, northern Syria, while three fighter jets were hovering above.

One journalist tweeted that three Turkish planes were responding to "mysterious" lock-ons from Mig-29 jets, which are used by Putin's forces.

Express.co.uk has contacted the Turkish government and the Russian military but neither could be reached for comment.

Source 1

Source 2

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: JonStone

If true I bet Putin just had a facepalm moment.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Oh God, don't poke the Russian bear Turkey.

I hope for the rest of the world this is not true.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I'll be looking for a one way ticket to Buenos Aires soon.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I really hope this was not the case...with tensions as high as they are already added to the fact Putin can not look weak on issues such as this, it can't turn out well. I hope he doesn't respond in kind but maybe he was looking for a way to justify actions against turkey to begin with. Turkey have been harboring fighters in the region as well as supplying some factions.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: markosity1973
Oh God, don't poke the Russian bear Turkey.

I hope for the rest of the world this is not true.

Turkey is Russia's best friend in NATO. I don't think the Turks like the Russian approach on Syria, and have every right to shoot down hostile forces in it's own airspace, which the russians definitely would be considered at the moment.

If it's true, it will need a very calculated response to it from the Kremlin. They won't go all out on Turkey too because one of their pilots was a dumbass. And the Russian air force is full of those kinds according to my few friends in the military that would know such a thing.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   
so i guess that pipline deal is not gonna happen now and russia is pulling out of helping the turks build a nuke plant.

www.bloombergview.com...

n April, contractors broke ground for a nuclear plant on Turkey's Mediterranean coast, a $20 billion Russian contract. Last year, the two countries agreed to build a pipeline taking up to 63 billion cubic meters of Russian gas to Europe each year. Several times over the last two years, Erdogan has talked publicly with Putin about joining the Shanghai Cooperation Organization, the security body Russia formed with China and four Central Asian states. In response to the aircraft incidents, Erdogan has now warned Russia it could lose Turkey as a friend and natural gas customer, and highlighted his country's membership in the North Atlantic Treaty Alliance. On Thursday he said he might find someone else to build that nuclear plant. A day earlier, Russian natural gas giant Gazprom said the TurkStream gas pipeline project was being postponed.
so if this fighter shoot down turns out to be confirmed this could keep escalating as i didnt know things were this tense

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: JonStone

Wow, this finally happened. I didn't think it would actually happen.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 09:25 PM
link   
its going to happen....

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: markosity1973

They're not poking the Russian bear. The bear keeps violating their airspace and locking on to their jets. Turkey should've done this the first time.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I'm getting mixed results on this. It might not have happened..It sounds like it came from sensationalist "media" in Turkey. If it's true we will know soon enough.
edit on 9-10-2015 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   
It appears the only article which is copy pasted on a few sites is the one carried by express.co.UK from Scott Campbell I didn't see any other sources for this...

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: avgguy
Has Syria taken down any foreign bombers entering it's territory over the years?
If true , Turkey is now the defender of ISIS and terrorism
Birds are going to drop over Syria.
edit on 9-10-2015 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Mig 29 vs Nato aircraft . Someone has to lose ....
n-Topic- this was most likely a military blunder in the heat of battle. The Mig saw 3 unidentified aircraft , painted em to get a better view. Mistake. The Turkish aircraft took this as an act of aggression and shot it down. "Stuff Happens"

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: all2human

This was in turkey. Try reading the article.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: all2human
Has Syria taken down any foreign bombers entering it's territory over the years?

I could be and probably am wrong, but I have been informed that all Israeli airstrikes on Syria came from outside the Syrian borders. Obviously not the same for the UAV strikes by NATO, but a small factor by not invading airspace.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Are you saying that Turkish aircraft never enter Syrian airspace?

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 09:38 PM
link   
god damn it Putin...

This better be false...

Its not worth it man...

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
Mig 29 vs Nato aircraft . Someone has to lose ....
n-Topic- this was most likely a military blunder in the heat of battle. The Mig saw 3 unidentified aircraft , painted em to get a better view. Mistake. The Turkish aircraft took this as an act of aggression and shot it down. "Stuff Happens"

Probably the most accurate scenario, kudos

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join