It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Today, For The First Time In My Life I Am Ashamed To Be A Canadian

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   
It's called freedom. She's allowed to express it.

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   
The way I understand it...they are covering their faces because they are taught from childhood that their faces are part of their "private parts". They have been conditioned, like most of us, to be ashamed of their bodies. To remove the niqāb for the ceremony would be like a US woman taking the oath with her pants down.

It has been suggested in Muslim society that "attractive" Muslim males wear the niqāb as well. They also say that older women past their child bearing years are no longer required to wear the niqāb, but it's suggested they wear it anyway. LOL

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: hammanderr
a reply to: ForteanOrg

It's a lovely fantasy you paint, one in which the west should gladly allow itself to be overrun by Muslims. One in which it isn't Muslims that commit acts of terror but extremists. If only fantasy was reality. There will be serious repercussions regardless of what you or anyone else says. See, that's the thing about reality, it's unforgiving. Reality doesn't care about idealistic day dreaming. Reality is real. And in the real world the west is being invaded by Muslims.

I'm not so sure who is fantasizing here. I have no indication whatsoever that we are being "overrun" by Muslims. In The Netherlands a few thousand refugees enter my country each week - on a population of roughly 17 million. Sure, the media are all over it - that's what they do. But a few thousand a week - that's not "being overrun" at all.

Also, there are Christians amongst them - and atheists. And even those that are "Muslims" come in various kinds - only a very small number are extremists. But we are even used to extremists here, we already have our own type of them: Christians which refuse to accept homosexuality, that think that a man is responsible for his wife and whom think that contraceptives are evil. They were born here, and so where their parents, greatparents and so on. We have people here that are allowed to say that all evil is caused by religion. We have people here that are allowed to say that all evil is caused by lack of religion. We have them like you, those that think that everything wrong with the world is caused by "The Muslims". We have all kinds. And we're a great nation for it.

We don't throw any of them out of the country as long as they obey our laws. Some of the xenophobes here even have their own political party - and though I will never join them, they are entitled to. See, in my part of the world we have freedom of religion and opinon. That is: of any religion in accordance with our laws. And the laws are changed if need be to reflect the will of the People. If that does not suit me, I can leave. Such is life.

Yes, reality is real. You might want to try to live in it for a while - and loose your fear, uncertainty and doubt.
edit on 11-10-2015 by ForteanOrg because: he made various typos.

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: masqua

Reality is real. And in the real world the west is being invaded by Muslims.

But in your reality, the west did not invade the muslim world first, right?

Oh yeah... that was so yesterday and not relevant to the present issue of millions of displaced persons.

Completely irrelevant to the point. Are Muslims a threat to the west? Yes.

Do they disrupt the culture in every country they immigrate to? Yes.

Are Muslims streaming into western nations as we speak? Yes.

Did the west invade Muslim nations? Who cares? Whatever the root cause of the current Muslim crisis the west finds itself in, it makes no difference. Self preservation is all that matters now.

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: hammanderr

So, because of the west's 100 years of meddling in the affairs of the ME since 1919 for the purpose of supplying oil, you're pissed that those people would have the audacity to now want to move to someplace where they stand a chance of raising their families in peace.

Got it. Reminds me of how Canada turned away a ship full of hopeful Jewish immigrants before the outbreak of WWII. Not one of our brighter historical facts.

One reaps what one sows, though.

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   
This subject is more complex than many realize. Recently Harper employed Lynton Crosby as an advisor. He is known as a "master of the dark political arts," his winning strategy having been a focus on regaining a conservative base support for leaders in other countries. Suddenly Harper is referring to "old stock Canadians," and people start wondering what that means. It's what some call a "dog whistle" to what Harper and Crosby apparently believe to be their base: bigots. This term has not only offended Native peoples (because if anyone is 'old stock,' it's them,) but it should certainly offend everyone non-Caucasian or non-racist Caucasian. This is precisely Crosby's style of getting Conservative leaders in power, and sadly, it's worked in the past. He is credited for aiding David Cameron in achieving an absolute majority in the British general election last May.

This issue of not allowing women of foreign faith to not conceal their faces of course relates. Harper passed a law some time ago where any Canadian could now spend up to ten years in prison for covering their face at a protest. Suddenly it's an issue for those who cover their faces for religious purposes. This is, on the political side, a way of forcing non-old-stock (forgive me for employing their disgusting rhetoric) to conform to the 'old stock' way of living. In other words, ignorant bigots feel less weirded out.

The subject of women having to conceal their faces, for fear of violence upon them by sexist beliefs, is an important topic of its own. I personally believe that women should not be forced to cover their faces in Canada and, in a truly compassionate and democratic society, any requirement for women forced to conceal themselves as if they are objects of shame due to men's 'uncontrollable desires' (victim-blaming) should be outlawed. Religious beliefs, and opinions in general, must be respected, so must women, obviously! In a democracy the individual must come first: the right to choose how one wishes to dress. In that regard, if one wishes to cover herself, perhaps she should have the right to. I just wish there was a way of stopping this kind of misogyny in Canada.

Please do not allow Harper's "evil genius" to confuse what is fair and right with a strictly political (and outright racist) campaign strategy.
edit on 11-10-2015 by LoneCloudHopper2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Just? You must be young. Check out our involvement in Rwanda. How about the way we treated the Native's for centuries and still today? Veteran's Affairs has been a disgrace for decades. Our navy has been downgraded recently to a coastal force. Do you want me to go on?

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Completely irrelevant to the point. Are Muslims a threat to the west? Yes.
Do they disrupt the culture in every country they immigrate to? Yes.
Are Muslims streaming into western nations as we speak? Yes.
Did the west invade Muslim nations? Who cares? Whatever the root cause of the current Muslim crisis the west finds itself in, it makes no difference. Self preservation is all that matters now.

Likewise, I could state "Are Christians a threat to the East? Yes. Do they disrupt the culture in every country they immigrate to? Yes." etc. That's just a game of words. You aren't really discussing things, you are just making statements.

The notion that a few hundred thousand refugees can 'overrun' 700 million Europeans is absurd. We aren't dealing with the situation well, I agree, but that is mostly because we aren't used to dealing with RELATIVELY huge numbers of refugees. But we learn to adapt. And after a surge which I expect in the next few weeks, their number will fall. Simply because the weather will worsen, winter is coming. So, in a few months we won't have a "refugee problem" any more. Mark my words.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Caroline13456

You don't really need to ban the burqa. Just ban their hadith books. There wouldn't be any burqas without their man-made collections of lies(hadith books) they ascribe to the Prophet and God. Russia did it and so should the rest of the world.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 06:33 PM
link   
So...because you don't think a woman should be forced to wear a certain item of clothing...you force her to remove it? You don't see a certain hypocrisy there?

Nice to see that Dear Leader's 'Lizard of Oz' is earning his keep.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Boeing777

That's a great idea!
Make sure you ban that other collection of fairytale...what's it called?
Oh yeah, The Bible.
I'm not being sarcastic either.
While you're at it, outlaw missionaries, and those creepy JW weirdos in suits that stand around bus stations handing out flyers advertising how to escape the apocalypse.
And mormons...round up those misogynistic freaks too..
What a wonderful world it would be..
Again, being serious.

edit on 12-10-2015 by VictorBloodworth because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 10:37 PM
link   

I don't understand. She's practicing her religion and doing so in a way that brings no harm to others. It's not a demand they act a certain way, it's an action in the clothing she wears.

Why is this a problem? How is her doing this harming the citizens of your country or making Canada a worse place to live?

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Danton
By most objective standards Canada offers more opportunity and a better standard of living than any Muslim nation can offer. There is a reason for this and if people truly want to share in what Canada has they need to become more Canadian than anything else and embrace its culture and customs.

So you're not accepting of their traditions if they're willing to work? Instead they must copy you?

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 10:49 PM
link   

a reply to: VictorBloodworth

Ok brainiac then why is everyone coming to European founded nations then? What do we have that they can't produce in their own nations if not our culture? Why are you so dismissive of our culture? The computer you are typing your nonsense on was created by it, not fundamentalists Islam or any other backwards cultures and yes wearing a burka is a fundamentalist religious action.

It was Muslims who invented algebra, proof by induction, and spherical trigonometry. While Europe suffered the dark ages the Ottoman world carried the torch for humanity. Without Muslim contributions you would not be using a computer today.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 11:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

This was the very point I was making.
She, and her religion are not forcing anyone to her will.
It is us forcing her.
I don't agree with Islam, or any abrahamic religion in principle, but as long as you are practicing it in a way that doesn't affect me, then have at it, you nut...
And wearing a burqua doesn't affect me in the least.
Neither does a yamulka...or a turban, or a feathered head dress for that matter.
You know what does offend me?
Idiots with form fitted hats that don't actually fit, and people who think a track suit is fancy dress wear.
I'd be up for a firing squad to deal with that.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 08:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: VictorBloodworth
a reply to: Aazadan
You know what does offend me?
Idiots with form fitted hats that don't actually fit, and people who think a track suit is fancy dress wear.
I'd be up for a firing squad to deal with that.

You'll be delighted to know that Dear Leader is promising a tip-line to report 'barbaric cultural practices'. One can only assume that it covers all of the above plus the wearing of socks with sandals!

All Hail Steve!!

edit on 13-10-2015 by JohnnyCanuck because: Indeed!

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 08:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck
You'll be delighted to know that Dear Leader is promising a tip-line to report 'barbaric cultural practices'.

And THAT little tidbit was one step over the line, imho. The straw that broke the camel's back. The shot heard from sea to sea to sea.

Now everyone in Canada will have an opportunity to rat out anyone they like over just about anything. Personally, I dislike people who publicly slurp their soup, chew gum with their mouths open or litter their speech with sexually explicit terms.

I can't wait...

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: masqua

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck
You'll be delighted to know that Dear Leader is promising a tip-line to report 'barbaric cultural practices'.

Now everyone in Canada will have an opportunity to rat out anyone they like over just about anything.

Lucky for the Canadian taxpayer...there's already a flag available. No charge.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

By most objective standards Canada offers more opportunity and a better standard of living than any Muslim nation can offer. There is a reason for this and if people truly want to share in what Canada has they need to become more Canadian than anything else and embrace its culture and customs.

So you're not accepting of their traditions if they're willing to work? Instead they must copy you?

Please do not think I am attacking you, I just want to know if you think it is wrong or degrading for a person to participate in the standard ways and cutures of a country were they seek entry?

I know in the US some people are big on freedom of thought and expression, but even in America in some places, the disregard of the customs of a township is met with resistance.

I am hearing and please correct me if I am wrong, that people should be able to disregard the local standards and observations if they don't like them, however, they would not demand this same option in the country they supposedly i jleft behind.

I have no fondness for religion of any kind. Personally I think religious buildings are temples built for the worship of "man". I don' t think you will find a strand of hair or a toenail of God in any of them.

It amazes me that those that cry the loudest about their religious rights have absolutely no regard for the rights of others. It further amazes me that they use their love and devotion to a "messenger" of God, to justify their seperative ideals, and the killing of the other people who are also children of God.

I just find it odd that you would seek to live in a place where you have disregard for the people and their customs, unless you have an agenda. Most people want to live in peace and harmony with their neighbors, and try to be work in and with those in their community. If it is such I simple thing and it is not a commandment, it just looks like another attempt to force others to bend to your will.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

That their countries wouldn't extend the same courtesy is proof of why those are undesirable countries to live in. I expect the US to act better than that. Canada too since they're usually so laid back. I just don't see the problem with people having different customs, as long as it's not bringing about harm to others then why worry about it.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join