It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The War On Science

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Not my title, and I know what you're thinking. This is another religion bashing thread. Not quite. Religion may have had a hand in squelching scientific discovery in the past, and there is still resistance from more extremist sects today. This is about governments and special interests, more than anything to do with religion. There seems to be, either a lack of interest, or an outright campaign by governments to slash spending on science related research and projects. Or both. This is a Canadian produced video, and it makes one wonder what the hell is going on. Is there a conspiracy afoot? Or is the author blowing the issue out of proportion? Especially considering what we've learned about planets in our solar system lately. Or is that just bread and circuses to keep the masses distracted?

Highlights:
The history, accomplishments and importance of science.
Science and society at odds.
The rejection of modern scientific evidence.
A quote by Carl Sagan...
"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology."
The contrast of Greece and Rome in relation to science.

The UK spends less than 0.5% of its GDP on public research.
The U.S. government has cut $300,000,000 from NASA's budget in 2015.
The bank bailout cost more money than NASA's 50 year budget.
1 month of military spending equals an entire year of NASA spending.
Stephen Harper gets hit hard in this video.
edit on 10/9/2015 by Klassified because: eta

edit on 10/9/2015 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

I'd say the Gov't is at war with science...because...it doesn't pay as well as War does.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Could it be like the end of the Roman Empire the US Empire is ending and so to maintain tptb's status quo they are cutting what they previously invested in ? Seems that all walks of society has taken a hit . This lecture by Lawerence Wilkerson give a chilling image of past collapses of Empire .
And this is a link to a thread on how some of the millions might be directed not to the science but to groups in position to help some of the fiction even in some sciences . climateaudit.org... There are some legitimate people doing legitimate work in science but some of it is only a kind of carrot of wishful thinking imo A lot of what if's and maybe's and a little bit of fear thrown in with if not's .

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: nullafides

I'd say the Gov't is at war with science...because...it doesn't pay as well as War does.

True. I would say a lot of money is being siphoned off for military and black budget projects.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   
If you had a Choice, without repercussions, you would act as a monkey. Kill, steal, murder, pillage. It's part of nature being a primate. NASA is the future, or the future of humanity will get doomed, without any mercy. The children of tomorow will be formed as soldiers without understanding a purpose of humanity. It doesn't take a lifetime to achieve a full apocalyptic state of the earth, it can be achieved within a shorter span in space.

Enforce it, embrace it and be amazed with it.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   
You, as everyone else, confuse "Science" with knowledge. Scientist don't have "knowledge"...or they wouldn't need to "experiment" to gain knowledge. Nobody, not governments, not even tax payers need to pay for some jokers "hunch". I have my own "educated guesses" I want to pay for. Nobody's making "war" on "science". Cool your jets. We wouldn't have half the worthless crap we don't need today without "science". ... Nobody is attacking "Science". As long as men want to know more than they need to. ..."Science" will survive!

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hyperia
If you had a Choice, without repercussions, you would act as a monkey.

Enforce it, embrace it and be amazed with it.

Fixed for you.

Back to the OP I think so many just do not have any grasp of any type of science and because they don't understand they don't believe then we have another crowd who actively lie about it to push their agenda.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74
That's a long one. Is I'll put it on my watch list.

Synopsis:
In this award winning documentary, NOVA captures the turmoil that tore apart the community of Dover, Pennsylvania in one of the latest battles over teaching evolution in public schools. Featuring trial reenactments based on court transcripts and interviews with key participants, including expert scientists and Dover parents, teachers, and town officials, "Judgment Day: Intelligent Design on Trial" follows the celebrated federal case of Kitzmiller v. Dover School District.

edit on 10/9/2015 by Klassified because: add

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 09:18 PM
link   
The citizens of many nations have allowed their government to be the mouthpiece for everything that is considered right and wrong. All information that these citizens receive they get from the TV, radio or main stream internet websites (that are an extension of the TV programs they are used to watching)

So when the television programs, program your vision, and the programming is government sanctioned and controlled we are left with an insanely stupid collective mentality to simply accept what government decides because we collectively do not know any better.

Money and agendas are the new God that the government worships and whilst they mold their societies to be just smart enough to press the buttons but dumb enough to not question the government we have the result such that science funding is forfeited for the sake of keeping citizens dumbed down and government propped up.

As I keep saying, the sad fact is, is that Kim, Kanye, Caitlyn, Hollyweird, black gay muslim debates, war and immigration keep us focused on the right hand whilst the left hand plays the real game.

In 100 years (if we haven't blown up the planet), the history books will record how it was this generation that allowed government to assume total control of all facets of society under the illusion of freedom and democracy.

The bigger the governments power, the smaller the chance society has to self-improve, explore and research and our own history books are a testament to that.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft
I can't officially applause you, but I can unofficially. **applause** Well said.

another dark ages of a sort? Or did we ever really come out of the last one?

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 11:29 PM
link   

It is well documented video by NOVA, well worth 2 hours to watch.

Also follow that by great lecture by Dr. Kenneth Miller.

I will watch video in OP over weekend, thanks for sharing.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 02:48 AM
link   

This is not surprising. Throughout most of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, science was regarded as largely beneficial to mankind. Massive improvements in agriculture, communications, public health, child mortality and women's place in society resulted from science.

Investment in science and technology also helped countries wage war and defend themselves, so governments were willing to put up the money.

Most of that is over now. The latest advances in science and technology don't help much when it comes to fighting terrorists and brushfire wars in poor countries. Progress in medical science has slowed almost to a standstill. Consumer technology has given people in rich countries more gadgets than they know how to use.

Meanwhile, science has turned into a bearer of bad news. Global warming and climate change. Mass extinctions. The intractability of human nature. The limits to physical exploration of the universe. The message is that, for humanity, the good times are over.

Who wants to hear that?

Of course science is getting less money. Particularly in democratic countries where the policy agenda is driven by public attitudes.

edit on 10/10/15 by Astyanax because: of the twentieth century.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Another propaganda video really promoting global warming. Its government that empowers science by funding research. If government wants us to believe that the globe is warming, that unemployment is below 6%, inflation is low, WMD in Iraq etc, they will fund research that tells us so.

True science doesn't try to deny evidence that tells us that climate change is a natural state of our environment which remains within past variations.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 03:13 AM
link   
The war is waged by the corporations in colussion with their political partners. A scientifically literate society is bad for business. If there are too many problem solvers in the general public they would be much less dependent on corporations for their products and services. Instead we have Ancient Aliens on the "Science Channel."

And we just can't let religion off the hook here. It provides the foundation for following the crowd, not asking questions and being submissive. These things are conditioned at a very early age. The essential element of a good scientist, curiosity, is usually atrophied by the time the children are young adults. And the few that actually do become great thinkers are either bought out or held down by the overwhelming financial and political power of the corporations.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 03:52 AM
link   
a reply to: murphy22

Huzzah for ignorance!

Special snowflake syndrome in full effect.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 04:32 AM
link   
'They' know how dangerous science and technology has become and will become. They need to keep the knowledge in trusted hands. They have been doing this for a while now. In mainstream science, they have become experts at creating experiments and results to apparently disprove new theories, even if said experiments and results are an illusion. Then they support incorrect theories and experiments as to keep the mainstream scientists chasing their tails. It all starts in the education system.

edit on 10-10-2015 by WeAre0ne because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax
Some good points Asty. Not a pretty picture to look at though. As one who has worked in the technological/computer industry for a long time, I have often accused the industry of revamping and regurgitating old tech to maximize return. Most people walk in Walmart, and see new computers. I see old tech that should be obsolete. Mechanical hard drives should already be extinct, yet 95% of computers are still running them, because SSD's aren't considered cost effective at the production level. I could ramble on, but the point is, I see what you're saying in my own occupation. The industry is slowing, and less money is being spent on real R&D.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: glend
There you go denying the science behind global warming. Do you really think NASA, NOAA, and scientists from all over the world are making up global warming?

All you are doing is taking a page from the merchants of doubt playbook there and feeding the ignorance they promote.

The merchants of doubt are doing a hell of a job keeping people in the dark about what the actual science says about AGW. I have noticed that those who call themselves republicans in the USA almost all deny the science behind AGW, yet they use political rhetoric to justify their belief(often with great arrogance) instead of the actual science.

As someone who observes the great damage that is done by humans on this planet in the name of profiteering, it is truly heartbreaking that so many get hoodwinked in believing AGW is some sort of liberal agenda to levy more taxes or worse.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   

I think it is more a war on questioning science. We are being taught to obey and question nothing.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I think it is more a war on questioning science. We are being taught to obey and question nothing.

Not sure if I follow what you are saying...

Science works as model where you can question everything and repetition of experiment should always return the same results or theory is not working/model is incomplete.

Science never tell you not to question.

But here we have unreasonable questioning, where in every absence of answer - for example - how did life start - someone tries to place 'god did it'.

On the other hand, religion doctrine is based on 'do not question' what you have been served.

If I misunderstood your post, my sincere apologies...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join