It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You Decide: Is this "Freedom of Expression"?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Halloween is just a few weeks away, so i thought it would be interesting to kick it off with the latest controversy, regarding homeowners in Ohio, who's "life like" Halloween display seems to be a little too much, according to some parents.

October 9, 2015
Parents claim realistic Halloween display is scaring their kids (Click link to view news story)

A life-like Halloween display is causing some controversy in Ohio because it's located less than a block away from an elementary school. "I felt scared 'cause I thought they were real people," a 9-year-old student told WOIO-TV after the display went up. "(I'm) almost horrified that somebody would think that it's okay to put it that close to an elementary school," the girl's mother, Jackie Anselmo, said. The display shows bodies that appear to be graphically murdered in the front yard of the home. Anselmo and other parents say it's not appropriate to have that kind of display just feet away from a school. But the city says there's nothing it can do about the display because it represents freedom of expression.

But here's the kicker, the homeowner says:

We don't want to "scare kids".

Ok, so what's the point of the display????

Is this "Freedom of Expression" or something more sinister being dictated by our evil government? Yet, another sign of things to come? If you believe it's "Freedom of Expression", then what's the difference between that and this:

October 6, 2015
The Oklahoma Ten Commandments Monument Has Finally Been Taken Down

Last night, the Ten Commandments monument on the grounds of the Oklahoma State Capitol finally came down. And the shadows were celebrating in a way God would never approve of…

Are we only allowed to "express ourselves", under certain conditions and by popular demand? What happened to "Freedom of Religion"???

In the United States, freedom of religion is a constitutionally protected right provided in the religion clauses of the First Amendment.

Do people still remember what America was built on, and what has kept America from being under a dictatorship???? Or have Americans forgotten what it means to be an "American"? How many of your Constitutional Rights will you let them take from you??? In case you haven't realized, they're coming for this, NEXT!

Second Amendment to the United States Constitution

The Second Amendment (Amendment II) to the United States Constitution protects the right of the people to keep and bear arms and was adopted on December 15, 1791

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: JuJuBee

Well, you're kind of all over the place on this.

Halloween, is halloween. If your precious snowflakes are too fragile, wrap them in bubble wrap and run intercept for them their entire life.

Yes, that photo did at first appear to me as though it was a person hanging upside down. But, it wasn't overly gory or obscene.

If neighbors are that much up in arms, they can move into an HOA neighborhood (Home Owners Association) where the HOA Board dictates the color of your house, length of grass, what you can park in your driveway, and how many bowel movements a day you are allowed to have.

Now, how you're bringing this up in context of freedom of religion, I don't begin to understand. Gun control? Huh?

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Don't know why you compare the two when the Ten commandments stone is actually against the law (seperation of church and state) and the other is on private property.
If you allow one monument to go on government property you have to allow Satanist statues, Hindu ones and Massive ones of the Monkey King.
Put it up on private land no problem.
Oh and it is halloween If kids are scared that is the point.
Heck If I'm not working I go out of my way to scare the local kids...points If I can make em cry.

Is this a veiled we are being persecuted thread or what?.
edit on 9-10-2015 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Kids see *A LOT* worse in the video games their parents are undoubtedly letting them play (and probably bought for them).

Its fine.

edit on 10/9/2015 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   

in all fairness they clearly have a "danger" sign posted.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   
This is one of those things for which we'll never have an answer.
Should I be allowed to stand at the gates of a school and shout the F word?
Personally I'd say no. But I also believe freedom of expression should be a right.

There will always be disagreement, and so there ought to be, because it means we havent all been assimilated....yet!

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   
It's Halloween
It's for being scared outta your skin, gross things and getting candy. People need to stop getting their panties in a wad and using "the children" as an excuse to control what others do. And if a little fake blood offends you....stay home. If the display is scaring their kids [ which I'll bet it's not the kids objecting ] then don't go near it. Simple as that. If you don't like looking at it.......... Don't Look At It.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   
It looks like The Cross of Saint Peter. Those that don't know about it might think it's satanic. I'm not sure if that's actually off topic or not. Anywho, it's on private property. Unless there's a housing committee that can force them to remove it I guess they have to deal with it.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   
You OP need to read up on that separation of church & state thingy in our Constitution. And for Pete's freaking sake stop saying we are based on Christianity. If we were, I do believe they would have left out the part about SEPERATION OF CHURCH & STATE. You have freedom of religion....that is up until you start trying to jam it down others throats like it's mana from the Cloud God. For the record I detest Halloween.....but it's Halloween...duh
edit on 9-10-2015 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I don't know if this is a case of freedom of expression or not, but I think the "we don't want to scare kids" quote is a little disingenuous. They should have said "our primary intention is not to scare kids, but we know we will scare kids with this and we don't really give to hoots if we do."

I know this would be disturbing to my kids, and I wouldn't really want them to see it, but should it be the right of these people to create whatever type of display they choose in public view in their front yard?

Maybe.

If so, then would there be anything wrong with having extremely lifelike sculptures of people engaging in explicit sexual activity next to the sidewalk down the street from an elementary school? Should there be a line drawn anywhere, or is one's own front yard an "anything goes" zone?

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I see nothing wrong with it. It is Halloween.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   

The display is a bit over the top, for a front yard, as far as I am concerned, but, they do have a right to have it. The parents protesting need to be logical here, though. Since the homeowner stated that she'd tone it down if too many kids were scared, then simply going to her and letting her know seems simple enough.

As for the Ten Commandments display, it's mesed up to remove that! Both are protected.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

So you would be okay putting it back and putting a satanist statue up? or a Hindu one? then the wiccans will want one, Jedis until you have no room for anything.
You happy with that?.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Jesus what has happened to this planet? Halloween is SUPPOSED to scare you. Linus from Charlie Brown tells you about the "Great Pumpkin", the air is chilly, the nights are clear, glowing jack o lanterns are everywhere. Ghosts, ghouls, Goblins and Vampires are roaming the night. If you're not with a group of friends you're very scared and getting home fast. You keep peeking out the window to make sure you're safe.

God I miss my childhood

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   

You're actually comparing Halloween decorations on private property with the removal of a religious icon on GOVERNMENT property.

Those are two completely different issues, and THAT'S what's different.

As far as freedom of expression, yes it is. They are decorations for Christ's sake, and those who don't like them should mind their own business because it's none of their business as it's on private property.

This is another stupid manufactured outrage.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 10:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

The display is a bit over the top, for a front yard, as far as I am concerned, but, they do have a right to have it. The parents protesting need to be logical here, though. Since the homeowner stated that she'd tone it down if too many kids were scared, then simply going to her and letting her know seems simple enough.

As usual, the MSM hypes the story, but the participants offer a reasonable solution.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 02:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: JuJuBee
Halloween is just a few weeks away, so i thought it would be interesting to kick it off with the latest controversy, regarding homeowners in Ohio, who's "life like" Halloween display seems to be a little too much, according to some parents.

October 9, 2015
Parents claim realistic Halloween display is scaring their kids (Click link to view news story)

A life-like Halloween display is causing some controversy in Ohio because it's located less than a block away from an elementary school. "I felt scared 'cause I thought they were real people," a 9-year-old student told WOIO-TV after the display went up. "(I'm) almost horrified that somebody would think that it's okay to put it that close to an elementary school," the girl's mother, Jackie Anselmo, said. The display shows bodies that appear to be graphically murdered in the front yard of the home. Anselmo and other parents say it's not appropriate to have that kind of display just feet away from a school. But the city says there's nothing it can do about the display because it represents freedom of expression.

But here's the kicker, the homeowner says:

We don't want to "scare kids".

Ok, so what's the point of the display????

Is this "Freedom of Expression" or something more sinister being dictated by our evil government? Yet, another sign of things to come? If you believe it's "Freedom of Expression", then what's the difference between that and this:

October 6, 2015
The Oklahoma Ten Commandments Monument Has Finally Been Taken Down

Last night, the Ten Commandments monument on the grounds of the Oklahoma State Capitol finally came down. And the shadows were celebrating in a way God would never approve of…

Are we only allowed to "express ourselves", under certain conditions and by popular demand? What happened to "Freedom of Religion"???

In the United States, freedom of religion is a constitutionally protected right provided in the religion clauses of the First Amendment.

Do people still remember what America was built on, and what has kept America from being under a dictatorship???? Or have Americans forgotten what it means to be an "American"? How many of your Constitutional Rights will you let them take from you??? In case you haven't realized, they're coming for this, NEXT!

Second Amendment to the United States Constitution

The Second Amendment (Amendment II) to the United States Constitution protects the right of the people to keep and bear arms and was adopted on December 15, 1791

Sombody, cant remember who, once said: "If we dont believe in freedom of expression for people we despise we dont beleive in it at all."

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 07:34 AM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

School zones have restrictions on a lot of things.

Regarding the OP: It's a crappy situation but it's private property and the owners can put up whatever decorations they like. They should respect the fact that it's scaring kids and take it down but they shouldn't be forced to. As others have said it's not the same as the Ten Commandments being at a government building, the government is not supposed to endorse any religion.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 08:06 AM
link   
To me this kind of sounds like a Gee, we can't have the nativity scene in school plays, and we can't have the ten commandments on gov't property, so the private citizen should lose his rights as to what he displays on his private property....

Thought they were about small, limited gov't? Gov'ts aren't granted the freedom of expression, or any of the other basic rights granted to the citizens, matter of fact many of those rights restrict the gov'ts freedom to do as they wish.
How can so many people be so confused about this, I don't buy the idea that they are just too stupid to understand. But, here we are. on one thread we have someone griping about a school system not being allowed to do a play that displaying a nativity scene claiming that if this is accepted, the next step will be that prohibit christians from having nativity scenes in their own yards....
and here we have someone who seems to be working hard at trying to make her prediction come true, since well, if they remove these people rights to decorate their yard for holloween the way the wish (as long as it's not breaking any obscenity codes or such) seemingly unaware that if they get this, then well, those poor christians will also probably be banned from their nativity scenes, their statues of mary, ect.
and they seem to be from the same political camp!!

but, no there isn't no hidden agenda here.
and no, these christians aren't being led by wolves in sheep's clothing, their leaders are good, god fearing christians....
well...sorry, but the political candidates from this particular group danged well should know what the end result of this is gonna be. It's hard for me to belief that the little talking heads in the media can't understand it....
these christians can't seem to accept a country where all are free to believe and do as they see fit, they seem to want the gov't to stand up for theirs and only their beliefs, they are kind of approaching an all or nothing stance here. and well, the bible also seems to indicate who will loose if such a challenge is made, doesn't it?

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   

The most disturbing part of your entire OP is the fact that you can't see the difference between this guys right to have the Halloween display in his yard, (private property) and your perceived right to display the Ten Commandments on Courthouse grounds, (public property).

That's scarier than anything this guy could ever hang in his yard!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join