It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Steven Seagall Believes a Lot of Mass Shootings, and Other Gun Problems are Engineered.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: yeahright
I've seen nothing outside the ramblings of some paranoiac's feverish dreams to indicate the government is in any way responsible for engineering any of the mass shootings, and as I've already stated, they wouldn't need to be.

BTW, kind of strange to see a super moderator, more so in a conspiracy website, try to insult and belittle members he doesn't agree with...

Why the FBI Report That Mass Shootings Are Up Can Be Misleading

While 'active shooter' incidents appear to be on the rise in the U.S., mass shootings do not.
But at least two prominent criminologists have taken issue with the FBI report’s findings. James Alan Fox, a Northeastern University criminal justice professor, and Grant Duwe, a director of research for the Minnesota Department of Corrections and author of a book on the history of mass murder in the U.S., are both known for being mass shooting contrarians. And both think the FBI numbers are misleading.

“These events are exceptionally rare and not necessarily on the increase,” Fox says.

One of the problems, they say, lies with the definition ofactive shooter andmass shooter.” The FBI report analyzed “active shooter” incidents generally, a term defined by the federal government as an individual actively engaged in killing or attempting to kill others in a confined and populated area. (The FBI report modified that definition a bit to include multiple individuals as well as events in locations not considered “confined.”)

The problem in conflating the two terms, Fox argues, is that an active shooter doesnt necessarily have to kill anyone. And in fact, only 64 incidents involvingactive shooters met the federal governments definition of a mass killing, in which three or more people were murdered in a single incident. In 31 incidents identified by the FBI report, no one was killed.

“A majority of active shooters are not mass shooters,” Fox says. “A majority kill fewer than three.”

If active shooters are removed from the equation, Fox says, mass shootings in fact have not been rising over the last few decades, and both the number of incidents and the number of victims has remained relatively steady since the 1970s.

time.com...

The FBI's Misrepresentation of the Change in Mass Public Shootings

John R. Lott Jr.
Crime Prevention Research Center

October 6, 2014

Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences Today, March 2015

Abstract:

An FBI report released on September 16th, 2014 makes the assertion that active shooter attacks and deaths have increased dramatically since 2000 – both increasing at an annual rate of about 16 percent. As the headline in the Wall Street Journal stated: “Mass Shootings on the Rise, FBI says.”

But the FBI made a number of subtle and misleading decisions as well as outright errors. Once these biases and mistakes are fixed, the annual growth rate in homicides is cut in half. When a longer period of time is examined (1977 through the first half of 2014), deaths from Mass Public Shootings show only a slight, statistically insignificant, increase – an annual increase of less than one percent.

The FBI’s misleadingly includes cases that aren’t mass shootings – cases where no one or only one person was killed in a public place. While the FBI assures people that it “captured the vast majority of incidents falling within the search criteria,” their report missed 20 shootings where at least two people were killed in a public place. Most of these missing cases took place early on, biasing their results towards showing an increase.

Number of Pages in PDF File: 18

Keywords: Data errors, mass public shootings, crime

JEL Classification: K00, K14

papers.ssrn.com...

You could claim that since some of these biases are due to errors, that the government is not behind the attempts to exaggerate the figures, but when these errors have been pointed out and the government continues to claim the contrary, that there is an increase in such occurrences this shows a willing attempt to mislead the public.

As to your claim that such a possibility of "engineered shootings" would only occur in "the ramblings of some paranoiac's feverish dreams to indicate the government is in any way responsible for engineering any of the mass shootings"...

You have to be the deluded one not to think such a possibility when Mexican civilians, and who knows how many American civilians in the states close to Mexico have been murdered with the weapons provided by the ATF/U.S. government.

The Fast and Furious scandal, among similar projects carried out by the U.S. government weren't a consequence of ignorance or the "administration's inability to run any sort of orchestrated event". This was a willful attempt to increase crime in Mexico and in states close to the U.S. border with weapons which came from U.S. to blame the second amendment, and American gun laws for these criminals being armed, when these weapons were provided by this U.S. administration.

edit on 12-10-2015 by ElectricUniverse because: add and correct comment.

edit on 12-10-2015 by ElectricUniverse because: correct comment.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
I wonder why it is so hard for people to accept that there is really something fundamentally wrong with American culture? Our society is like a petulant adolescent compared to other cultures around the world. We want everything now, we feel entitled to everything, our egos are over inflated and we do whatever we want despite the consequences.

We have all these benchmarks on what it means to be a successful person in American society. Get the girl, get the car, have the friends -- but real life isn't like TV and the movies. Reality TV isn't ... real. There isn't enough room on the summit of the mountain for everyone, and when that facade is shattered people snap.

We've fostered a culture of instant gratification and this weird belief that we are always right -- and everyone else is wrong. We hyper-inflate our self worth to overcompensate for the dehumanizing values we experience in American life. When the Jenga tower crashes down and the cold reality of life sets in, some people can't handle it.

These things don't need to be engineered at all ...

Thats a first rate post, very well thought out.

The pressures put on people these days to succeed are immense. The whole idea that a college education is a golden ticket to the good life is leaving people broken and broke. No wonder mainly white kids are going crazy shooting the places up. Arming students and teachers will only make things worse.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: PhoenixOD

Could you tell us if American culture is to be blamed for these problems as you ascertain then why is it that Japan, a culture which idolizes violent films, and violent anime cartoons have less crime in general?

Or why is it that Switzerland, a country that has more citizens armed with truly military weapons have less shootings in general?

Obviously something else is the factor behind the incidence of shootings in the United States, and it is neither the violent films and video games, nor American's right to own and bear arms who are at fault for the murders in the United States with firearms.

edit on 12-10-2015 by ElectricUniverse because: add comment.

edit on 12-10-2015 by ElectricUniverse because: correct comment.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

Maybe you could explain why pro-gunners like yourself insist on trying to shift attention to other countries rather than grow up and start working out the problems in your own?

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   

We tell our kids that they can be anything, do anything and that the "American Dream" is a real thing that anyone can have. We sell kids on massive student loans they won't be able to pay off. We learn about relationships from romantic comedies and reality TV -- we photoshop/crop our lives and only show the best parts of it online and on Facebook.

If I go through my Facebook feed I'd think that everyone I know lives wonderful lives. What if my life isn't great? What if everything I was promised and thought I ought to have/be in life was shattered? How would those happy people on Facebook seem to me?

Most of these mass shootings are done by young, disgruntled white males who are somehow emasculated and feel like failures as men -- there is usually a woman or two who snubbed them in there somewhere as well. These "beta" guys have to sit and watch the more aggressive, "alpha" makes get the girl, get the money, get the cars and "the life" they think they ought to have.

We need to stop lying to ourselves about what happiness and success is, it's rotting us away from the inside out as a culture.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Have you ever seen what happens to animals if they spend too much time alone? Lone animals never survive. Even animals stay together not only for survival but also not to be alone. This happens in the entire animal kingdom, and it even happens in other cultures so it is not the fault of American culture.

For that matter, have you ever seen what a human baby does if he/she is left alone for too long? They don't always cry because they are hungry, or because their pampers are dirty. They also cry when they feel alone.

While a lot of women, and men are only attracted to other alphas, it is not true of every woman or man. It is certainly not the fault of the American culture that disgruntled individuals are willing to murder innocent people for the failures they may, or may not see on themselves. The cause of that particular problem includes the fact that people are not held responsible for their actions anymore.

The lack of personal responsibility in a "progressive world" in which individuals no longer are at fault for their actions but the blame is always shifted to someone else, or to society in general, or because of something else is part of the problem.

People are being told that if "they murder someone it is society's fault and not their own"... That it is the fault of their parents, or because a beautiful woman rejected them...

First of all, those who look for love only by looking at the outward appearance of a person are indeed empty inside.

Instead of trying to blame society look at yourself and try to find ways to better your life.

BTW, since I have already mentioned Japan, do you know how kids are raised in Japan? How they are told that they must be the best at everything they do, yet there are no mass shootings there? There are mass murders with knives but "supposedly" not as much crime. There are a lot of suicides unfortunately thou.

No, those people that decide they are going to take it on others, and decide to kill innocent people were always empty inside and are less than human when they carry such atrocious acts.

Everyone has been rejected at one time or another. Lots of people have been bullied, and lots of people were even abused yet most people do not resort to hurting others. Most people do not resort to take their failures on others and instead do the best they can to improve their lives.

If we began to once again teach children, and young adults about personal responsibility, a lot of these murders would be stopped. Obviously not all of them, because there are murders committed by people who simply are insane. But teaching people again that they are ultimately responsible for the actions they commit, and if punishment for those who commit such heinous crimes are increase this will teach those that can be saved that in the end it is up to them, and it is up to how they see their own situation that they can find happiness.

How many people are poor, and were abused as children yet they learned to continue living, enjoyed life and learn to love and care for others?

If society in general continues to claim that people are not responsible for their actions, and society, or their parents, or whatever else is to blame the problem will not only continue to persist but will get worse.

Just because a woman, or a man rejected that person doesn't give that person the right to take their frustration on others and cause them harm.

edit on 12-10-2015 by ElectricUniverse because: add and correct comment.

edit on 12-10-2015 by
edit
edit on 12-10-2015 by ElectricUniverse because: add comment.
extra DIV
extra DIV

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: ElectricUniverse
BTW, since I have already mentioned Japan, do you know how kids are raised in Japan? How they are told that they must be the best at everything they do, yet there are no mass shootings there? There are mass murders with knives but "supposedly" not as much crime. There are a lot of suicides unfortunately thou.

No, those people that decide they are going to take it on others, and decide to kill innocent people were always empty inside and are less than human when they carry such atrocious acts.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Japan have the highest rate of suicide among their school age population in the world? Followed closely by the other high pressure extremely rigorous Asian societies? We have mass murders because these people lash out at society, in Japan they see their failures a bit different and just kill themselves instead.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 12:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

If that is the choice, I choose them committing suicide over murder-suicide.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 01:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Gideon70

Part of the problem is blowing hot air but doing nothing about it.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 01:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Leonidas

Takes a man not to bring down innocents during their downfall. If planned out as he said...others say too it leaves more responsible parties.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 01:29 AM
link   

"Taking responsibility" ... I hear that a lot from conservatives, and I don't really think they understand the depth of what that phrase means.

Taking responsibility isn't just accepting your life sucks and dealing with it. Taking responsibility isn't just putting up with a society that dehumanizes us, marginalizes us and makes us into corporate drones for private industry.

No, taking responsibility is a much deeper concept. To truly take responsibility for your life means that you understand that happiness begins within you -- it means that you accept the part you play in what's wrong in the world. The outside world is a reflection of you and what you are putting out into it. That is taking responsibility.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: PhoenixOD

Maybe you could explain why pro-gunners like yourself insist on trying to shift attention to other countries rather than grow up and start working out the problems in your own?

I am pretty certain that since the start of this thread several options have been given that would alleviate some of the problems occurring in the U.S.... But of course, could you tell us what your "grown up" alternative would be?... Oh wait, you pretty much made it clear when you asked "why don't pro-gunners grow up and blah blah blah"...

Who would have thought, the gun-grabbers think people are only grown ups if they bow to their anti-gun agenda...
edit on 13-10-2015 by ElectricUniverse because: correct comment.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   

"Taking responsibility" ... I hear that a lot from conservatives, and I don't really think they understand the depth of what that phrase means.

Oh really? and what is "your definition" of "taking responsibility"... Demanding for guns to be banned or heavily restricted?

BTW, I did not state anywhere that you have to accept your life sucks... But most people do learn to be happy with what they have in their lives. You don't have to be super rich, and have the hottest girl alive for your life not to suck.

There are plenty of well off people who are miserable. As an example, the unfortunate suicide of Russian/Kazakhstani model Ruslana Sergeyevna Korshunova.

en.wikipedia.org...

She was not only young and beautiful, but she was smart, she spoke fluently 4 languages, and she had a lot of money with a steady job as a model which allowed her to send good money back home to her mom and brother in Kazakhstan. But that life left her empty inside, and she wrote about how the high life left her lost in a world that made her unrecognizable to herself. Unfortunately she took her life by jumping off her Manhattan, USA apartment.

I am not saying that you have to be young, or beautiful, or speak 4+ languages for your life to mean something. What this shows is that even people who are beautiful, have a lot of money, and fame can be miserable.

BTW, if you think that the U.S. is the only country that gives too much importance to fame, fortune, being young, smart and beautiful you haven't been paying attention to what happens in the rest of the world. There are people who are discontented all over the world. If you think that problems like this only happen in first world nations, you haven't looked at what has been happening to people in third world countries who have it worse.

There are wars perpetrated by warlords in Africa who are raping entire villages and murdering people. There are still millions of people being persecuted worldwide and murdered for having a religious belief. There are foundations from the west who are forcing men and women in third world nations to be sterilized, and are forcing women to abort their babies to feed their other kids and themselves.

EVERYWHERE there are things happening that can make people feel miserable and make them feel their life sucks.

Does that give the right to anyone to take it on other innocent people? no.

edit on 13-10-2015 by ElectricUniverse because: add link.

edit on 13-10-2015 by ElectricUniverse because: add comment.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   

We tell our kids that they can be anything, do anything and that the "American Dream" is a real thing that anyone can have. We sell kids on massive student loans they won't be able to pay off. We learn about relationships from romantic comedies and reality TV -- we photoshop/crop our lives and only show the best parts of it online and on Facebook.

If I go through my Facebook feed I'd think that everyone I know lives wonderful lives. What if my life isn't great? What if everything I was promised and thought I ought to have/be in life was shattered? How would those happy people on Facebook seem to me?

I don't know who you have for FB friends, but I can tell you my FB friends are mostly people I have known most of my life. They don't pretend they have wonderful lives, they are normal, everyday, hard working people - some retired now because we are that age.

Most of these mass shootings are done by young, disgruntled white males who are somehow emasculated and feel like failures as men -- there is usually a woman or two who snubbed them in there somewhere as well. These "beta" guys have to sit and watch the more aggressive, "alpha" makes get the girl, get the money, get the cars and "the life" they think they ought to have.

Most of these mass shootings have NOTHING to do with a "woman who snubbed them". They are young, disgruntled, probably have been esmasculated - by their mothers, not some girl that snubbed them. If you do the research, you will find that most of them have had mental problems and been prescribed psychiatric drugs that are known to cause changes in the way the brain functions. They have terrible side effects and to say "These "beta" guys have to sit and watch the more aggressive, "alpha" makes get the girl, get the money, get the cars and "the life" they think they ought to have. That's an incredibly stupid statement, says that you don't know a darn thing about why these shootings happen, you are just running at the mouth.

We need to stop lying to ourselves about what happiness and success is, it's rotting us away from the inside out as a culture.

Speak for yourself. I don't know anyone who is "rotting us away" from any side. That may be your world, but it's sure not mine or the people I know..

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: ElectricUniverse

BTW, if you think that the U.S. is the only country that gives too much importance to fame, fortune, being young, smart and beautiful you haven't been paying attention to what happens in the rest of the world. There are people who are discontented all over the world. If you think that problems like this only happen in first world nations, you haven't looked at what has been happening to people in third world countries who have it worse.

There are wars perpetrated by warlords in Africa who are raping entire villages and murdering people. There are still millions of people being persecuted worldwide and murdered for having a religious belief. There are foundations from the west who are forcing men and women in third world nations to be sterilized, and are forcing women to abort their babies to feed their other kids and themselves.

EVERYWHERE there are things happening that can make people feel miserable and make them feel their life sucks.

Does that give the right to anyone to take it on other innocent people? no.

You're right, but these countries don't have the kinds of mass shootings that we do. It's pretty rare in Europe to see them, but then again they have stricter gun laws I believe.

Beautiful people can be miserable, I never indicated that that having those things WOULD make one happy, simply that our media and social environment programs to us to think so. There are many well-off people who are genetically predisposed to chemical imbalances in their brain, leading to depression.

If you don't cultivate your inner wealth, no amount of outer wealth will help you. Our society seems to have somehow missed that. We glorify the opulent on TV, radio and film, and neglect the truly valuable things in life.

We're an immature society as a whole, and its pretty clear that not everyone in the USA is mature enough to own firearms. I honestly don't think you can legislate against that. There are people who feel powerless in this country, and they see a gun as a solution to regain power over their situation in life.

There are far to many people in the USA now living without purpose, feeling faceless among the sea of other faceless drones. We've done it to ourselves, we've allowed our self-worth and identity to be taken from us. We've hijacked our humanity with corporate memes, slogans, jingles and catch phrases. We want more, and more -- consuming instead of creating.

Everyone wants an easy answer. "He had mental problems!" Well you know what, most people do. Yes, quite a few of of us could sit down and be diagnosed with some kind of mental disorder:

In fact, nearly 1 out of every 5 Americans will have a diagnosable mental disorder within their lifetimes, according to the National Institute of Mental Health.

psychcentral

"It was the drugs!" More people are perscribed these drugs than at any other time in history, yet overall violence with guns is down.

No, sorry we can't get off that easy folks. This is not just a "bandaid" problem, no matter how much you want it to be. You can't flip a switch or push a button and make it go away. You can't put your head back into the sand and ignore it either -- this culture of fetishizing guns leading some immature people to behave badly -- very badly.

And yes, sites like Facebook can and do cause depression:

The researchers surveyed 736 college students and found that, basically, if you quietly stalk your friends on Facebook and then realize that your life doesn't measure up to theirs, you feel bad about yourself.

"If Facebook is used to see how well an acquaintance is doing financially or how happy an old friend is in his relationship -- things that cause envy among users -- use of the site can lead to feelings of depression," said Margaret Duffy, a professor at the University of Missouri School of Journalism.

CNN

And yes, these shootings are predominately white males:

During the past 30 years, all but one of the mass murders in the U.S. was committed by men, 90 percent of whom were white.

The article also makes the point:

Fully 70 percent of mass shooting incidents occur in homes, but we don't generally hear about them because these crimes are considered a matter of private, not public health. In August, for example, a man tracked down his ex-girlfriend, and executed her, her husband and six children. He was apparently angry that she had changed the locks on her doors. Headlines focused on the "incomprehensibility" of the crime and about "domestic disputes."

Overall, according to a recent Huffington Post analysis, 64 percent of the victims of mass murders are women and children.

oo many boys are learning that violence and entitlements to domination and control, including, centrally, over girls and women, define become "a real man." That's about gender, and the outcomes are grossly misogynistic, whether they use money, knives, fire, laws, or guns and whether or not their stated intent is religiously or racially motivated. Schools, parents, coaches, religious communities all need to be thinking deeply about how traditional ideas about gender, gender stereotypes and stereotype threat work to create a national culture in which bullet-proof clothing and backpacks for children are a clothing category and gun deaths occur at 20 times the rate of peer nations.

HuffPo

So you can blame whatever you want, you can dismiss whatever you like -- but the truth is there is a problem with American culture that needs to be addressed. By simply ignoring it, we are playing party to it being allowed to continue.

It's pointless though, as people are going to continue to believe what they want. People are still going to think that the constant groundhog day routine of these mass shootings will eventually just become "normalized" and everything will be OK -- especially if they get to carry a their gun around. You can't change people's minds when fact and logic when their opinions weren't based on either.
edit on 13-10-2015 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Another point:

*If* we cracked down on mentally ill people, how would that solve anything?

Pro-gun people already admit that criminals will always get their guns, what's to stop the mentally ill? Can't someone who gets denied for a firearm purchase simply buy the same weapon the way a felon would?

And isn't cracking down on mental health also bringing "big brother" and "big government" into the picture? Creating lists of people? Databases? How can you be sure it will ONLY be used for mentally ill people? What happens if you are misdiagnosed? What happens if someone falsely accuses you?

So maybe we might want to hold back a bit before going gung-ho on mental illness?

EDIT: And what about old Uncle Jim? Your uncle that's now developed dementia? He might mistake the meter reader for a burgler and shoot at him. Who's going to be responsible for collecting his firearms? Who's going to have to break it to him he can't own guns anymore? How are we even going to know how many guns Uncle Jim has? Do you think he will tell anyone how many he has once he knows he'll have to give them up now that he's been diagnosed with a mental disorder that compromises his judgement?
edit on 13-10-2015 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 02:28 AM
link   

You're right, but these countries don't have the kinds of mass shootings that we do. It's pretty rare in Europe to see them, but then again they have stricter gun laws I believe.

But in that you are wrong. First, those in power who want to heavily restrict and ban firearms have been lying and they don't tell you the truth.

Take for an example Australia. Before the 1996 firearm ban in Australia homicides were already declining over many years. Yet, the homicide rate has remained almost constant despite firearms being banned there.

If you look at this graph it was already predicted that homicides in general would be declining, despite the fact that the observed homicides fluctuated in reality.

Look at the decline of homicides with guns in Australia before the 1996 ban. Since around 1979 homicides with firearms started declining again in Australia for years before the 1996 ban.

All of the above graphs and info can be found in the following website.
www.aic.gov.au...

And although Obama went on live tv to claim the following.

"We know that other countries, in response to one mass shooting, have been able to craft laws that almost eliminate mass shootings," he said. "Friends of ours, allies of ours — Great Britain, Australia, countries like ours. So we know there are ways to prevent it."

nymag.com...

As i showed above homicides in general had been fluctuating but it was predicted they would be declining, and they were before the 1996 ban.

However, in Britain the opposite occurred. After the introduction of the handgun ban more crimes with handguns occurred in Britain.

Since the handgun ban gun crimes in Britain increased by 89%

Culture of violence: Gun crime goes up by 89% in a decade

By James Slack for the Daily Mail
Updated: 03:42 EST, 27 October 2009

Gun crime has almost doubled since Labour came to power as a culture of extreme gang violence has taken hold.

The latest Government figures show that the total number of firearm offences in England and Wales has increased from 5,209 in 1998/99 to 9,865 last year - a rise of 89 per cent.

In some parts of the country, the number of offences has increased more than five-fold.

In eighteen police areas, gun crime at least doubled.

The statistic will fuel fears that the police are struggling to contain gang-related violence, in which the carrying of a firearm has become increasingly common place.

Last week, police in London revealed they had begun carrying out armed patrols on some streets.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

It has gotten so bad in Britain that more and more police officers have to be armed. Despite the handgun ban more crimes with handguns have increased in Britain.

For crying out loud, look at the states and cities in the U.S. with the most restrictive and even bans on firearms. Those are the areas with the most firearm crimes, and firearm homicides in the U.S. Chicago, Il, Newark, and New York, among some others.

Beautiful people can be miserable, I never indicated that that having those things WOULD make one happy, simply that our media and social environment programs to us to think so. There are many well-off people who are genetically predisposed to chemical imbalances in their brain, leading to depression.

That's not just a problem in the U.S. Show me a place where people are not taught that outside beauty matters more than inside beauty.

We're an immature society as a whole, and its pretty clear that not everyone in the USA is mature enough to own firearms. I honestly don't think you can legislate against that. There are people who feel powerless in this country, and they see a gun as a solution to regain power over their situation in life.

That's where you are wrong. It's not the maturity level of the U.S. In many instances these problems have been aggravated on purpose by those in power to destroy every right Americans have, including the second amendment right.

The U.S. is the country that prescribes more psychiatric drugs to children and young adults, which influences the development of these children and young adult's brains.

U.S. Kids Take More Psychotropic Drugs Than Europeans

Sept. 25, 2008 | 9:00 a.m. EDT

By Steven Reinberg
HealthDay Reporter

WEDNESDAY, Sept. 24 (HealthDay News) -- American children are three times more likely to be prescribed psychotropic medications for conditions such as ADHD and bipolar disease than European children are, a new study finds.

Differences in regulatory practices and cultural beliefs about the benefit of medication for emotional and behavioral problems may explain this dramatic difference, the U.S. researchers added.

"There is significantly greater use of atypical antipsychotics and SSRI-type antidepressants for child mental health treatment in U.S. than in Western Europe," said lead researcher Julie Zito, from the pharmaceutical health services research department in the School of Pharmacy at the University of Maryland. "Since most of the use is 'off-label' -- without adequate evidence of benefits and risks, close monitoring should be considered when these medications are used."

health.usnews.com...

The report was published in the Sept. 24 online edition of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and Mental Health.
health.usnews.com...

The mental health, and other problems in the U.S. are being worsened on purpose.

edit on 14-10-2015 by ElectricUniverse because: correct comment.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 02:41 AM
link   
I thought the right wingers hated Hollywood stars talking about political issues. I guess that's unless they support their conspiracy theory. Why can't gun owners just say, we like having guns. Rather than come up with the raft of other excuses and reasons. I'd rather people just be honest and say I like having a gun instead of conspiracy theories about staged events and depression medications. A simple I like guns is far more honest.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   

I mentioned Europe and you used Australia as an example. Australia isn't part of Europe.

Can you provide the same statistics to prove your point with France, Germany, and Italy (countries in Europe)?

edit on 14-10-2015 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

I gave Australia as one of the examples because Australia is being used as an example by the Obama administration that "gun control works" when homicides with guns were already in decline for a couple of decades before the 1996 gun ban in Australia...

Also gave the stats from Britain. You do know that Britain is considered as part of Europe right? In Britain crimes with firearms increased exponentially after the gun ban to the point that more and more police officers in Britain have to be armed with firearms.

As for other countries in Europe, we would have to make a whole new thread about countries like France.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join