It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the use of an asylum for Halloween offensive?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: DOCHOLIDAZE1

You beat me to it.

Just like a house is just a house but a haunted house if for Halloween.

As far as what to tell a child, I'd just call it a haunted hospital

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Here....some backstories for the "Creepy Asylum"

io9.com...

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 05:31 PM
link   
For people looking to be a victim at every turn, yes, it's offensive. For people with common sense, no it's not.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: liteonit6969

I don't really think so. First, some seriously violent people are mentally ill, so that''s one way it could be scary. Then, there are stories (mostly old) of doctors and nurses out of control in such places, which would also be scary. I have actually been through a "haunted house" - Halloween-style - set p in what used to be a mental hospital on a military base, and which was said to be haunted. A lot of places on that post are supposed to be. If it doesn't bother you or your kids, go for it. I don't think anyone assumes all people with some mental problem are dangerous.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Straight jacket costumes to haunted house settings of a psychiatric hospital have been a Halloween staple for sometime. Then again lots of Halloween costumes and settings can fall into a sensitive category.

Though, can say the use of the hospitals, especially ones with a horrid past as an attraction for Halloween scares is bordering a sensitive area.

Pennhurst State School was(maybe still is kinda defunct site now?) was being used for a Halloween attraction. It met a lot of backlash from the locals and the:

The Pennhurst Memorial & Preservation Alliance, however, called the idea a "travesty" and urged a boycott, saying a haunted attraction at Pennhurst "portrays people with disabilities in a demeaning and degrading fashion."

"Demonizing people with disabilities as a profit-making entertainment is [and should be] offensive to everyone," the group said.

Source

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: cody599
Oh, that's not nice, it's evil. Do not tell me anything about the new series of GOT. I'm covering my ears. I cannot hear you.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join