It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Fox News 'War On Christmas' Panic Is Already Starting

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Christmas stuff's already out here.

And yeah...this War on Christmas thing's pretty much become just another running joke.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
Michelangelo's David is an 'Iconic' representation of a Christian religious figure. Should images of it never be taught in public school art classes?

There is a big difference between studying religious art or, for that matter, studying the Bible as literature and having someone reading from the Bible in front of a live nativity scene. The latter is a religious ceremony. If someone was reading from the Koran during Ramadan I'm sure no one would have a problem seeing what was going on.

As far as freedom of artistic expression during a performance goes, try staging something like Albee's Pulitzer prize winning play "The Goat, Or Who Is Sylvia" at Concord High School and see what kind of luck you have.

link   
Fox is ridiculous. Year after year they rail against the so-called war on Christmas, yet people still celebrate it. No one's stopping anyone from celebrating Christmas, or Chanukah, or Kwaanza, etc. Their all just pagan rituals of the winter solstice carried forward for thousands of years. They just go by different names depending on a particular religion. 85% of people don't realize this. They just want to make a big to do about nothing and express false outrage because they feel their religion is the "right" one. It's times like this I thank God I'm an atheist.

link   
It's truly remarkable how so many Christians reject the importance of the separation between church and state. They don't seem to realize that it protects them from their public schools imposing Islam or other religious traditions on them.

If you want a nativity scene or a Christian play at your school you have every right to enroll your child in a private Christian school where that would be legal.

If there's any kind of war going on it's a war on the separation of church and state.
edit on 9-10-2015 by Reflection because: Misspell

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: ReadLeader

Christmas merchandising annoys me to no end as well. Oh and Christmas music too. I can't stand hearing the SAME songs over and over every year in every store you walk into. I try to avoid stores during this time of year as well.

Ha....my favorite is when every pop artist in the country comes out with a Christmas album...same songs over and over, and people still buy them. Makes me want to puke.

Especially when they are Jewish. *Cough*Streisand*cough*. Could anyone EVER have a more obvious money grab attempt?

Now I will say I am a sucker for watching A Christmas Story with the family every year. Maybe I should start looking for inconsistencies from what I remember as a kid when they start showing it this year.....Stain Stein....maybe this year when he is being dared to stick his tongue to the pole they will say "I Quadruple Dog Dare You".

I admit, I do like that movie too. It's like the only Christmas movie I still watch. The leg lamp scene gets me every time. It's just too funny.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

originally posted by: buster2010

originally posted by: buster2010

This play is an after school activity and is performed by volunteers. No student is required to participate or attend the event. Nothing is being forced on the students.

Irrelevant. Government taxes are still paying for it. The taxpayers are paying for lights, janitors and for the clean up and set up of the scenes.

And they would be paying the same amount if the play was about romeo and Juliette.

What religion is Romeo and Juliette about?

Does the subject matter of the play have anything to do with the cost of the play? The school and the public will be paying the same amount of money for the production.

Of course subject matter is important. Government taxes cannot be used to promote religion. By using a nativity scene they are promoting Christianity. It would help had you actually read the thread before commenting.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Reflection

It's truly remarkable how so many Christians reject the importance of the separation between church and state. They don't seem to realize that it protects them from their public schools imposing Islam or other religious traditions on them.

So we should sick the state on some children doing a voluntary play with religious elements on account of some principle that isn't even in the constitution?
edit on 9-10-2015 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

I agree with much of what you said.

Christmas is supposed to be a Holy Day. It should never be about "things". Most homes do not honor Jesus in their homes, they celebrate wealth and greed.

It is not accepted anymore, but I used to make my children every year go through their toy box and give away every toy they had not played with in 6 months, and 1 toy that they cherished. I am embarrassed to say there were way too many toys, but not from what I purchased. I have a massive family and they all don't agree with my opinion of gifting at Christmas.

It was established in my home that gift receiving takes place on your birthday, and if we are celebrating Jesus's birthday than we give gifts to him, not to ourselves. So each Christmas it was for them to decide what thing they could for someone else, that they think would make Jesus happy. They got a great kick out of trying to dream up something really special for someone that needed it, and I am proud to say they are all grown and away from home, but they continue the Christmas tradition of giving and not receiving.

I don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater. But I too would love to see the de-materialization of Christmas.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: deadeyedick

So I guess you think our lives would be better if we could just focus on the few times of the year that bring mass happiness and then remove those times while claiming that it is American to be a scrooge.

Yes it bring mass happiness it also brings mass suicides.

Go back to sleep everyone cause there is no war on Christianity.

There is no war on Christianity it's just the usual we are being persecuted because we can't have our way.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   
It's the most wonderful time of the year! Presents and food and booze and snow and cheer and lights! Merry Christmas everyone! imho

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
a reply to: IAMTAT

You failed to address my question regarding the installation of "art projects" on public property.

I'd like to hear you assert that members of the public have the right to install their art on public property, universally, as expression of speech.

If not, I'd like you to retract the ridiculous assertion that Nativity Scenes are primarily artistic rather than Christian religious iconography, or be seen for the rampant dishonesty in your "claim."

I have absolutely no problem with a public school exhibiting their student's art on school property (whether it's of any religious theme or not)...regardless of the time of year.

Art is a personal creation...open to universal interpretation. How can that threaten anyone...as the artist and the artist's audience always retain all of their rights to interpret the expressed creation as their individual tastes and beliefs lead them?

My post posited a question, not an assertion (as you say)...which, for some reason you felt threatened by. Questions won't hurt you, my friend. I am not attacking you,...just trying to engage you in a broader discussion. Don't worry,...it won't happen again.
Take care.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: grandmakdw
But yet, a Christian
and truly a large number of Christians
agree with abolishing Christmas
the way it stands now.

Why ban it, though??? Why not just let individuals enjoy and celebrate the winter solstice any way they want?

...be it Christian or Pagen
they all lead back to religion.

Things CHANGE. Christmas (TO SOME) has become a totally secular holiday. Why not just let it be? Celebrate it OR NOT how you want to.

I have known people who refrain from presents, decoration, etc, and actually celebrate the birth of Christ (does it really matter that they're doing it on the wrong DAY???) They are not celebrating the DAY, they're celebrating the birth of the man they consider to be their savior.

I don't understand the need to BAN something for everyone, just because you don't agree with it.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: Reflection

So we should sick the state on some children doing a voluntary play with religious elements on account of some principle that isn't even in the constitution?

Ya know...there's a word for taking random, individual acts of stupidity or absurdity or criminality and painting an entire nation or culture or belief system with that...

So very few people ever say that we should [sick] the state on things like this that it shouldn't even register. But, yeah, rage on.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   
As a major supporter of Separation of Church and State --- you know my thoughts on this.

I am raising my grandson without religion. I sure don't want it in his school.

Most public schools no longer refer to Christmas. It's holiday break or something similar.

Secular school programs can be done.

For me Christmas is what you make it. I don't have to give up the fun of Christmas just because I am no longer religious.

We do a kind of family celebration and solstice.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

There are many churches that rent space from schools to hold their services.

Perhaps a solution would be for the church to rent the school for the event. Only those children that wish to participate will, and only those people who want to come will.

Likewise if any other religious organization wanted their children attending that school, to participate in a religious themed play involving their religion, they could do the same.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

Ya know...there's a word for taking random, individual acts of stupidity or absurdity or criminality and painting an entire nation or culture or belief system with that...

So very few people ever say that we should [sick] the state on things like this that it shouldn't even register. But, yeah, rage on.

That's not an argument.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

It's not like it's an epidemic or that people need the internet's help to figure this stuff out. The only reason things like this are any kind of issue is because idiots like those at FoxNews make it so.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

I don't understand the need to BAN something for everyone, just because you don't agree with it.

That's what this boils down to doesn't it...

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

The discussion here is NOT about students' art projects.

You are quite aware of this. You created a scenario that you think proves your point. It doesn't.

There's no reason to discuss the matter with someone, like you, who only wants to muddle the issue through prevarication.

Best.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: ~Lucidity

That's not an argument.

You're absolutely correct. It's not. It's a statement. An opinion, if you will.

Thanks for pointing out the absolutely obvious.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join