It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Fox News 'War On Christmas' Panic Is Already Starting

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: deadeyedick

What does this even mean? Removing the Nativity scene from a High School's play doesn't mean the entire holiday is DOA.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
a reply to: IAMTAT

The Nativity scene is a recognized part of the ritual of Christmas, which is part of the Christian religion.

Trying to assert anything else is specious, as well as a denial of truth.

Why do you want to deny the truth?

I'm positing a legitimate question. Isn't a nativity scene also an individual artist's work of art...and wouldn't it come under freedom of artistic expression?

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: deadeyedick
So I guess you think our lives would be better if we could just focus on the few times of the year that bring mass happiness and then remove those times while claiming that it is American to be a scrooge.

Go back to sleep everyone cause there is no war on Christianity.

Where was Scrooge again in the Bible?

I can't remember the exact reference?

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: grandmakdw

The pagan roots for Christmas trees, lights, wreaths, giving presents, and all the other non-Christian parts of the holiday are largely lost on most people and many don't even know that history. Just because those symbols were religious in the past doesn't mean they are religious now.

Find me someone who practices this religious practice still and you may have a point:
8 Ways Magic Mushrooms Explain Santa Story

1. Arctic shamans gave out mushrooms on the winter solstice.

According to the theory, the legend of Santa derives from shamans in the Siberian and Arctic regions who dropped into locals' teepeelike homes with a bag full of hallucinogenic mushrooms as presents in late December, Rush said.

"As the story goes, up until a few hundred years ago, these practicing shamans or priests connected to the older traditions would collect Amanita muscaria (the Holy Mushroom), dry them and then give them as gifts on the winter solstice," Rush told LiveScience in an email. "Because snow is usually blocking doors, there was an opening in the roof through which people entered and exited, thus the chimney story."

There are revived Pagen circles around the world, especially in Europe.
en.wikipedia.org...
www.tomorrowsworld.org...
www.beliefnet.com...

I believe here in the US, the Wiccans believe in many of the same Gods and Goddesses.
www.wicca-spirituality.com...

So the things that represent pagan worship
in the Winter,
evergreen trees, lights are symbols
of with religious meaning for people other
than Christians.

So to truly separate religion and state,
those "Holy Day" symbols must be
removed from all cities and all public spaces
along with nativities. That is unless it is
just Christians who have to remove their
symbols of religion, and not the rest of
the religions during winter celebrations?

edit on 10Fri, 09 Oct 2015 10:52:11 -0500am100910amk095 by grandmakdw because: format addition

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   

No, you're not positing a legitimate question; you think you're wittily ducking the obvious truth.

You're not.

An individual's installation of an "expression of art" on public lands is limited. That does not prevent them from displaying their "expression of art" in venues designed for such purpose.

Should any member of the public be allowed to install an "expression of art" in the public square at any time?

Of course not.

edit on 10Fri, 09 Oct 2015 10:53:23 -050015p1020151066 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Michelangelo's David is an 'Iconic' representation of a Christian religious figure. Should images of it never be taught in public school art classes?

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Well then present a case and sue any school that displays a Christmas tree. Though they can only be government buildings you go after. Privately owned places have the complete freedom to display whatever they want.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Teaching art isn't the same thing. Teaching art is about the techniques used to create that piece of art, not the actual finished product.
edit on 9-10-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Well then present a case and sue any school that displays a Christmas tree. Though they can only be government buildings you go after. Privately owned places have the complete freedom to display whatever they want.

Why won't the ACLU do it for me?

Isn't that what they are there for
to make certain religion and the state
never, ever even peek at each other
over a fence?

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Teaching art isn't the same thing. Teaching art is about the techniques used to create that piece of art, not the actual finished product.

As an artist, I couldn't disagree more.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
Michelangelo's David is an 'Iconic' representation of a Christian religious figure. Should images of it never be taught in public school art classes?

David is not merely a Christian religious figure, but is important in Judaism and Islam.

Aside from that, there is nothing overtly or generally recognized as religiously symbolic or ritualistic in the figure of a strapping young man ... but the David by Michelangelo is recognized as an exemplary sample of Renaissance art.

Why do you want to force your religion on others? Why are you willing to lie in order to do so?
edit on 11Fri, 09 Oct 2015 11:01:18 -050015p1120151066 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   

As a Musician, I don't consider myself worshiping religion when I learn how to play "Working on a Building" on my Mandolin. I learn it for the Bluegrass techniques used within.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: grandmakdw

Why won't the ACLU do it for me?

Isn't that what they are there for
to make certain religion and the state
never, ever even peek at each other
over a fence?

I don't know. Ask them.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

originally posted by: IAMTAT

David is not merely a Christian religious figure, but is important in Judaism and Islam.

Aside from that, there is nothing overtly or generally recognized as religiously symbolic or ritualistic in the figure of a strapping young man ... but the David by Michelangelo is recognized as an example of Renaissance art.

Why do you want to force your religion on others? Why are you willing to lie in order to do so?

Lighten up, Gryphon. Can't you have a discussion on the nature of art and freedom of artistic expression without feeling threatened and resorting to defensive knee-jerk sophomoric insults?

Michelangelo's 'David' is not just about Renaissance sculpting technique. It's about so much more. Just as teaching public art students about Leonardo da Vinci's 'John The Baptist' is not about oil paint application.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   

You haven't been insulted in any way. You've been called on your attempts to justify the enforcement of religion on others and your willingness to utilize dishonesty in your attempts to do so.

What Michelangelo's David is TO YOU is your own matter. It is universally accepted as art, not religious iconography.

The David has never been used as a regular feature of any religious ritual or practice.

WE are not all subject to your own beliefs and understandings, as much as you'd like us to be. That's my point.

Why don't you "lighten up" yourself? Why wear your "feelings on your sleeve."

You assert that your opinion is superior, while I have corrected you with generally-accepted facts.

Sorry if that causes your overreaction; it's really not personal!

edit on 11Fri, 09 Oct 2015 11:15:31 -050015p1120151066 by Gryphon66 because: Formatting

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   

a reply to: ReadLeader

Christmas merchandising annoys me to no end as well. Oh and Christmas music too. I can't stand hearing the SAME songs over and over every year in every store you walk into. I try to avoid stores during this time of year as well.

Ha....my favorite is when every pop artist in the country comes out with a Christmas album...same songs over and over, and people still buy them. Makes me want to puke.

Now I will say I am a sucker for watching A Christmas Story with the family every year. Maybe I should start looking for inconsistencies from what I remember as a kid when they start showing it this year.....Stain Stein....maybe this year when he is being dared to stick his tongue to the pole they will say "I Quadruple Dog Dare You".

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   

As a Musician, I don't consider myself worshiping religion when I learn how to play "Working on a Building" on my Mandolin. I learn it for the Bluegrass techniques used within.

That's awesome, Krazyshot. As an Artist...you have every right to see your creations as you wish...just as whomever listens to your music has a right to interpret it however they wish (religiously...or not). Freedom of artistic expression goes both ways...it's a beautiful connection between a creator and their observer.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   

You failed to address my question regarding the installation of "art projects" on public property.

I'd like to hear you assert that members of the public have the right to install their art on public property, universally, as expression of speech.

If not, I'd like you to retract the ridiculous assertion that Nativity Scenes are primarily artistic rather than Christian religious iconography, or be seen for the rampant dishonesty in your "claim."

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

It's the same mindset that Kim Davis has. "If I can't do whatever I want (under the guise of "freedom of religion", it's persecution of me and my religious freedom"!

It's not the same. It's a school play.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

i think these guys just want you staying at home and order stuff on-line. stay inside people, your death is around every corner. We are Fox News, Trust in us!!

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join