It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Fox News 'War On Christmas' Panic Is Already Starting

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: masqua

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

Even worse, many of the ones on the right crying "War on Christmas" are the same ones who have a huge dislike for other Christians. Most Hispanic people and African Americans are Christians, about 10% of all Palestinians are Christians, and roughly half of all Russians are Christians. But these same people don't seem to care about the Christmas situations for these fellow Christians.

Quite right. Often you hear them talk about turning places 'into glass' without one concern for the many faiths represented in those countries.

Exactly. That's why the false outrage doesn't have an effect anymore.

They didn't care about the 2 million Iraqi Christians who fled Iraq during the recent Iraq War. They didn't care about the Lebanese Christians who were attacked during the latest Israeli-Hezbollah War (Christians make up roughly 40% of the Lebanese population). They don't care about the Palestinian Christians who keep asking for international help. And they don't care about the Christians in Syria who've had to flee & lose their neighborhoods in the recent civil war. They also don't care about the Hispanic & African American Christians right here. Yet we're supposed to believe they suddenly care about those same Christians getting to celebrate Christmas? Yeah right.

As a side note, I wonder how many people know that Bethlehem is in the Palestinian territories & that the Christians there are Palestinian Christians? It feels weird that I speak up for them more than many of their fellow believers do.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   
A lot of you are concerned with the greed and spending issues. If you can't afford to buy gifts, don't. What kind of family or friend would expect something from someone who is struggling financially? Get together for a meal and desert and maybe a drink or two and just enjoy each others love and company. There is nothing wrong in decorating and making things festive and magical with tiny lights and pretty trees and whatever.

Stores are always out to make money whether there is a holiday or not. Granted they start selling things early in the Season, but that allows those who wish to buy holiday decorations and gifts more time.

Just relax and let people enjoy their Christmas. A Nativity set isn't offensive. It will not scar your child or upset them, at least it shouldn't. As a child we always had little plays at Christmas with a nativity set and Christmas music. Everyone loved it, whether they were acting in the play, singing the songs or watching.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I hate Christmas.
It can't go away soon enough for me.
It is cold and depressing. Every body expects me to buy them some crap.
I'm obligated to hang out with relatives whose company I despise.
I find the entire aesthetic repulsive.
Bring on New Year's celebration and let's get drunk.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 10:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
I hate Christmas.
It can't go away soon enough for me.
It is cold and depressing. Every body expects me to buy them some crap.
I'm obligated to hang out with relatives whose company I despise.
I find the entire aesthetic repulsive.

Oh, I stopped that a long time ago.

I totally enjoy Christmas because I choose to.

What other people think or expect - - not my problem.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I've heard a great deal about 'tolerance' from Political Correctness BS. Where is the tolerance here? Every country has its culture, traditions and beliefs. I wouldn't have cared if, at my school, they had cultural events for different cultures. I would have been outraged if they'd put a stop, or lawsuit, to a Christmas event or nativity scene. People who are bothered about other people's traditions or beliefs need to find a life. As long as no one is attacking yours, then smile and be well.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 10:20 PM
link   

First, your labeling this mention of the issue as a "panic" doesn't make it one. There is no panic; there is a news station reporting something they see as an issue. If you don't, well, write them and say so, but posting that there is some yearly "panic" is not accurate.

Second, it's freedom OF religion, not freedom FROM religion. A public school, attended by citizens, whose taxes pay for the school, having a Christmas play that shows why we have Christmas, is not, by any means, state-sponsored religion. Get over it. Call it history, or don't attend, but don't claim the students there don't have a right to participate if they want. They do.

For all of those claiming someone is "forcing" the holiday on the, again, get over it. People shopping for holiday gifts and decorations doesn't hurt anyone else, and neither does stores carrying the needed merchandise. I get a little annoyed if the stuff is out too early, but it doesn't mean I feel some requirement to buy it. The local stores where we live (and that includes big chains) have Halloween stuff out right now. I don't hear any of the anti-Christmas people complaining about that.

Panic..........sorry, no. Just no.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 11:40 PM
link   
This is the same fox news that had a huge rant on how Jesus and Santa where white.

Is int it against Jesus teachings to lie.
edit on 9-10-2015 by dukeofjive696969 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Christianity as it is today is so far off from what Jesus actually was. He would be surprised and shocked of Christianity the way it is today. Jesus was just a "normal guy" who was very spiritually evolved. He had a very high vibration and was very connected with his Higher Self. Looking inside and reflecting upon it is the answer. No need for churches because organized religion is corrupted.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 12:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
a reply to: grandmakdw

I'd just be happy if they abolished black friday. Stores shouldn't be allowed to have these blowout sales with such a limited number in inventory that only a select few willing to practically battle to the death for them actually get them. And, the people shouldn't be willing to trample those around, throw punches, pull hair and all the other crap that they do for junk that they probably really don't need anyways. I see the point that religion shouldn't be allowed into the school ceremonies, I really do, but if we should be having a war of anykind, it should be against the black friday, which I guess now starts right after the thanksgiving dinner, if there even is one anymore.

I haven't done any christmas shopping in decades, outside of grocery shopping and I've enjoyed christmas, without the tree, without the presents, and without all the shopping, because what is most important to me is being with the ones I care about and spending time with them. A nice christmas dinner with my family. What more could one ask for?

What upsets me about Black Friday isn't that it exists. What upsets me is that it starts (or the lines do atleast) around 8pm Thursday night. My absolute favorite holiday is Thanksgiving, it's something to remember and it's an excuse to eat a lot of really good food and hang out with friends and family without any expectation of getting something more than that. But, as soon as people finish eating it's off to the lines for the shopping season. The stores have destroyed one holiday in order to pervert another

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 01:05 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

The most reasonable thing I've heard read in this thread. Cheers.
edit on 10-10-2015 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 01:10 AM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

In fact, there are few other words in English to describe the ludicrous, hand-wringing, utterly neurotic anxiety-fest that Fox's "War on Christmas" has become besides panic.

It's exactly the right term to use in this context; witness this thread.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 02:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

I must admit it's really quite ridiculous. Any "war" for someone's ideas and beliefs, conjuring imagery of a jackboot crushing a manger, isn't anything more than a matter of rhetoric. It gives real war a bad name. Obviously people can still believe what they want and observe the holiday as they wish. I don't even see how it can be a point of discussion. Sure, a reason to point and laugh at Bill O'Reilly. However obvious propaganda is what it is. It's the not-so-obvious propaganda we should worry about. At least there was some good back and forth about the first amendment, separation of church and state, and the like.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 02:27 AM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

" Oh grow up. The people who are whining a the idiots crying their yearly war on Christmas lie because they can't have their way. "

The Christmas Holiday was Never Intended to be a Pagan Festival of Materialism . It represents the Birth of the Christian Savior , Nothing More , and Nothing Less . These People you Speak of are Poor Excuses for Human Beings , Nothing More , and Nothing Less.......

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 02:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

Second, it's freedom OF religion, not freedom FROM religion. A public school, attended by citizens, whose taxes pay for the school, having a Christmas play that shows why we have Christmas, is not, by any means, state-sponsored religion. Get over it. Call it history, or don't attend, but don't claim the students there don't have a right to participate if they want. They do.

Actually it's fredom of religion and fredom from religion from the government, hence the establishment clause.

Would you be ok with an Islamic scene with the students portraying Mohammed?

Why do people think it's appropriate to do these things at a public school when there are countless other places for these kinds of things?

It's more than just a nativity scene folks. It's just one of many ongoing attempts by the Christian right to mark their territory and establish an official Christian government. It's what's behind much more serious things like marriage inequality and the need to self fufill prophecy in the Middle East.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 02:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Reflection

" It's more than just a nativity scene folks. It's just one of many ongoing attempts by the Christian right to mark their territory and establish an official Christian government. It's what's behind much more serious things like marriage inequality and the need to self fufill prophecy in the Middle East. "

Geez , Talk about Pure Fantasy there , I bet that would make a Good B Movie though ...." Attack of The Christian Right Nativity Scene as Seen By a Delusional Agnostic "

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 02:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

Maybe you should read a little closer.

The nativity scene is just one of many ongoing attempts.

The ten commandment statues, prayers over the intercom to kick off class, creationism curriculum, I could go on..

All part of much more serious things like marriage inequality, women's rights, self fulfilling prophecies, I could go on.

Ask any Christian and the vast majority believe that the U.S. is an established Christian nation.

That's called reality. Not fantasy.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Would you rather America be an Islamic Nation ? I Doubt that type of Religious Control would even for a Second Tolerate Agnostics or Atheists among it's Peoples . I have no Problem with People of All Faiths and Non Faiths Expressing themselves in America knowing Good and Well that the Separation of Church and State is Paramount for a Free Society to Truly be Free from Any Religious Domination . In that regard , I feel your Fears are not quite Justified here .
edit on 10-10-2015 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 03:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

Um no, I most certainly would not want the U.S. to be an Islamic nation. That's one if the reasons I believe so strongly in the separation of church and state.

And I certainly don't have a problem with someone expressing their beliefs as long as it's not physically or psychologically violent. And as long as it's not being practiced by the state.

For instance, if history teacher, Mr. Wilson, wants to say a prayer in class, silent to himself, that's fantastic. If he wants to speak in tongues five steps before he walks on school property to his job, knock yourself out Mr. Wilson. But if he wants to lead the class in prayer before a big test.. no. That's illegal. And if he wants to have his class speak in tongues before a big test then he should be committed.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 06:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

Would you rather America be an Islamic Nation ? I Doubt that type of Religious Control would even for a Second Tolerate Agnostics or Atheists among it's Peoples . I have no Problem with People of All Faiths and Non Faiths Expressing themselves in America knowing Good and Well that the Separation of Church and State is Paramount for a Free Society to Truly be Free from Any Religious Domination . In that regard , I feel your Fears are not quite Justified here .

I love how some tend to ask this kind of question when separation of church and state is discussed. It's like oh, but wouldn't life be so much worse under Islamic rule????? As if it has to be one or the other of the two options. Personally, I would rather have a peaceful nation, and that is a very rare find in countries where the gov't has joined hands with any religion in an attempt to exalt that religion and give it special perks at the expense of other religions. And in some cases, even the exalted religion finds itself reformed to suit the gov't better.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 08:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

originally posted by: Bluntone22

originally posted by: Gryphon66

originally posted by: Bluntone22
This play is an after school activity and is performed by volunteers. No student is required to participate or attend the event. Nothing is being forced on the students.

Is it held on the property of the People using the resources of the People?

If so, it's unconstitutional. Period.

So why does the Whitehouse have a Christmas tree every year? Don't the people own that property?

Yes but what is the difference between the White House and a school or any other government building? The White House is the Presidents home and the constitution cannot tell a person they cannot decorate their home for Christmas.

Are those xmas trees that are put up funded with tax payer dollars? Who put all these things up? Were they paid with tax payer moneys? Are those decorations and lights being funded with tax payer dollars? Any president that lives there needs to pay for his own decorations and the power it takes to run them. We can call them holiday trees. That doesn't change much if one doesn't believe in said holiday. Separation of church and state means, separation of church and state. Cant have it both ways.

new topics

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join