It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Fox News 'War On Christmas' Panic Is Already Starting

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

I would not mind if it were spiffy and tastefully positive

I think that instead of removing good things that it may be good to add some that gives our world character and helps bind the differences
edit on 9-10-2015 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: intrepid

Well there is some internal debate among religious organizations as to whether JW's are "Christian" -- but I see your point.

My point is -- the country is diverse and many people celebrate a variety of winter-time holidays. Isn't it just simpler to say "Happy Holidays" if anything? I can take that and apply it to my own personal winter festivities just fine.

link   

originally posted by: deadeyedick
after all there can be no law made to protect the right to nativity in ones yard directly

True. That's because the law already exists. The 1st Amendment. Fear mongering because things aren't what we would wish isn't prudent, or true.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
but in the public sphere, it's just common sense to keep things pretty neutral as we're a diverse country.

Yeah those celebrations of diversity are only a good idea if you're celebrating something way out of the mainstream. If you want to celebrate some New Guinean pygmy cannibal fest, you could probably apply for a grant.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: deadeyedick

I really think there are people terrified of anything religious. It reminds me of the vampire movies when the cross gets shoved in Dracula's face. He hisses and screams, "Separation of church and state!"

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

after all there can be no law made to protect the right to nativity in ones yard directly

True. That's because the law already exists. The 1st Amendment. Fear mongering because things aren't what we would wish isn't prudent, or true.

you missed the point
the first can be infringed upon and has been in many cases by groups that seek to limit things like size of grass,color, and pretty much anything else a group like a home owners ass. wants too.

So now if we say that absolutely nothing religious can be in gov then we are left with personal space to do it on and that is already regulator and if givin the chance they will clamp down even more.
edit on 9-10-2015 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

We actually agree on something. I find Christmas to be despicable, turning what is supposed to be a religious holy day into an entire season worth of massive unsustainable consumerism. From Black Friday where we leave family behind on Thanksgiving in order to get trampled by a herd of people just to save $5 extra on items we don't need and probably don't even want to Christmas which is more about presents than anything else, to the after Christmas sales where we go exchange all those gifts for store credit, and then participate in even more mindless shopping.

It's my sincere belief that the Christmas season exemplifies the worst of American culture.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   
The celebration of Christmas as its observed today is a fairly recent phenomenon.

I blame Dickens.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   

you missed the point
the first can be infringed upon and has been in many cases by groups that seek to limit things like size of grass,color, and pretty much anything else a group like a home owners ass. wants too.

Wrong. The same amendment protects personal freedom of religion. It's the same law that removes it from the public and allows the person to maintain any religious aspect in private. That said, if you are in a "community" you have agreed to their rules. That's YOUR choice.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Even mainstream, we have Hanukkah, Kwanza, Solstice ... those three right there aren't way out in left field but aren't "Christian" centered.

Personally if someone said "Happy Hanukkah" to me during that time of the year, I really could care less. It might get to me over time though, who knows.

It would be great if people just did what they wanted to do, and ignored the stuff in life they didn't like. That would certainly be ideal, but for some reason people have to take things personally and get worked up.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Even mainstream, we have Hanukkah, Kwanza, Solstice ... those three right there aren't way out in left field but aren't "Christian" centered.

You forgot Ramadan.

It would be great if people just did what they wanted to do, and ignored the stuff in life they didn't like. That would certainly be ideal, but for some reason people have to take things personally and get worked up.

Exactly. IDK why people just HAVE to get bent about things.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid
yes I understand that but one string at a time they remove the rights many believe they have.

it is not always a choice where you live

there is nothing standing in the way of towns declaring to be nativity free

or how bout having new neighbors that get together and decide to remove your rights

no big deal until it gets personal

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   

I agree, but when people try to force others to accept what they want to do, in the public square, and make it a political issue, it's hard to keep to ourselves.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

That perception is solely due to the fact that is how you see it and how you 'celebrate' it.

For enlightenment on how others view Christmas, head to your local churches on that eve and day and see the attendance. The families that travel across the nations to be with their loved ones. Feel the peace and goodwill on that day. It exists. It is palpable.

The rest? Sure. Ignoring the positives though, diminishes the soul....

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   

or how bout having new neighbors that get together and decide to remove your rights

That wouldn't stand a court challenge.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom
I say whatever one is celebrating they should express salutations in public referring to their personal

in my view unless someone is just a Grinch then it spreads joy and raises awareness of customs

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: yeahright

I blame people who, after so much pain and suffering, just want a reason to be happy, forget their woes, and get together with family.
People are to blame. And in societies where Christmas is promoted then we use it as an excuse. And a bloody good excuse it is!!! Let us have MORE of these holidays, not less!

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   

That wouldn't stand a court challenge.

I would like to think it would not but it is just an interpretation away

simply change the definitions of a few words and then they could swing it.

after the first one the rest would cave in on the grounds of it being "legal now"

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: deadeyedick

I would not mind if it were spiffy and tastefully positive

so am i to assume that means you feel you should afford others of a different religion the same "right" (because its not) only if its

spiffy and tastefully positive

?

what if its not

spiffy and tastefully positive

?
edit on 9-10-2015 by fartlordsupreme because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

It isn't being used to do that. Religious imagery can't be in publicly owned buildings. It's just that simple.

It's not that simple, or we wouldn't be debating it.

The recent history of this issue is complex, with some cases siding for or against:

Religious Displays on Government Property

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join