It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Fox News 'War On Christmas' Panic Is Already Starting

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: fartlordsupreme
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

But at least you were honest, and I appreciate that

more than youll ever be it would seem

How can you presume that from anything I posted on here?

I see were on to a personal attack , whilst I commended you on your honesty

Seems that I , The Evil Christian, am clearly more cheerful than you are

GOD BLESS and have a WONDERFUL day!

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: ~Lucidity

My apologies. From what I recall you are generally very specific about your language, and so I would have thought that you would only use you if you were addressing me in particular and not you if addressing all atheists everywhere in general.

Then it appears you were inaccurate in your recalling. Once again, I apologize for my misuse of the word.

Oh stop
Thanks.

ETA: Oops...not clear. I meant stop as in no need for apologizing. We're good.
edit on 10/9/2015 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Asking people to adhere to the Constitution is an attack?

Is it the first amendment you're talking about?

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   

a reply to: Reflection

It's truly remarkable how so many Christians reject the importance of the separation between church and state. They don't seem to realize that it protects them from their public schools imposing Islam or other religious traditions on them.

So we should sick the state on some children doing a voluntary play with religious elements on account of some principle that isn't even in the constitution?

It is in the constitution. The first ammendment. And the Supreme Court ruled that such things are a violation of the establishment clause.

The separation of church and state is there to protect everyone including Christians. If you are that passionate about religion being practiced at school then send your kids to a private school. I don't get what is so difficult to understand here.

Again, if it was some other religion being displayed you guys would throw a fit about it. The double standard is ridiculous.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   

It is in the constitution. The first ammendment. And the Supreme Court ruled that such things are a violation of the establishment clause.

The separation of church and state is there to protect everyone including Christians.

yes from the state ESTABLISHING a religion

Not from people or groups of people freely practicing their religion

People dont understand the constitution

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Wrong

It is forcing people to adhere to your own personal interpretation of the constitution.

If givin free reign then many of you could remove every positive aspect of life and you could do it claiming the constitution but never realizing that we the will of the people overall should be what drives our accepted interpretation. Not the will of a few. They will even go so far as to redefine current accepted definitions of words in order to further their small personal agenda.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Is it the first amendment you're talking about?

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Yes, founders like Thomas Jefferson was very clear that the state needs to completely separate themselves from religion as to not respect one over the other or to violates one's 1st amendment rights. It's very clear.

We all have the right to freedom of religion and the state MUST stay out of it.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Reflection

It's truly remarkable how so many Christians reject the importance of the separation between church and state. They don't seem to realize that it protects them from their public schools imposing Islam or other religious traditions on them.

So we should sick the state on some children doing a voluntary play with religious elements on account of some principle that isn't even in the constitution?

The separation of church and state is there to protect everyone including Christians. If you are that passionate about religion being practiced at school then send your kids to a private school. I don't get what is so difficult to understand here.

Again, if it was some other religion being displayed you guys would throw a fit about it. The double standard is ridiculous.

So did the founders celebrate Christmas? Did their children learn or celebrate anything that is Christian in school?

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   

I'm an atheist. The thing is, I fear the state more than any religion.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof...

There is more to the clause, namely, congress cannot prohibit the free exercise of religion. So I suppose that you might have to show how a nativity scene in a school christmas play constitutes respecting an establishment of religion, as opposed to the free exercise of religion.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

So you know more about the constitution than the Supreme Court? Lol Mkay.

No one is preventing individuals or groups from practicing their religion. Kids are even free to pray at a public school, contrary to what many Christians think. There just can't be school sponsored religious events. A nativity scene on a public school property would qualify as such.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: deadeyedick

It is forcing people to adhere to your own personal interpretation of the constitution.

We don't have to interpret anything. The 1st amendment is clear and so were the comments of the founders at the time.

You're knowingly twisting this around so that you can play the victim and taking it to a silly extreme.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   

We all have the right to freedom of religion and the state MUST stay out of it.

Then why would someone use the federal courts to prohibit a school christmas play because of a nativity scene. I understand if it was a mandatory thing, but it is wholly voluntary, with the ability to opt out of it with no repercussion. The community is all for it, and it is a 30 year tradition. Why does the ACLU or the state get any say in this?

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadeyedick

So did the founders celebrate Christmas? Did their children learn or celebrate anything that is Christian in school?

Ok, now you're just being ignorant. The answer to those questions are completely irrelevant.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Agnostic says, "Damn right."

The good thing about being agnostic is one can enjoy the unity the day brings to many of us-until uncle Seamus makes a fool of himself once again and we have to stop serving the potato salad.

edit on 9-10-2015 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   
BS
If it were not up to interpretation then we would have no need for scotus and much more.

The words can seem very clear if they fit your agenda at the time but it is user friendly and kinda like the bible in that many different interpretations exist.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   

a reply to: Annee

Jesus is a specific religion. That creates a problem.

My granddaughters elementary school puts on a secular Holiday play. So I know it can be done.

It's not really a problem when it is voluntary.

Voluntary? By who?

If I'm Jewish, atheist, Muslim I am not going to welcome Christianity displayed in public school.

But, there is majority bullying. I'm not going to speak up and let my kid take the brunt. I will go to the outside contacting the ACLU.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   

a reply to: Krazysh0t
So you asked for something and did not get it?
You are probably on the naughty list.

I see. When backed into a corner, deflect with some irrelevant nonsense. Way to make me believe your words even less. I know you're trying to be funny here, but you are hurting your case by doing so.

link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

For the same reason the 10 commandments cannot be on state property; equal application and Separation of Church and State. Tradition is irrelevant.

link   

originally posted by: introvert

Ok, now you're just being ignorant. The answer to those questions are completely irrelevant.

Perhaps
but not if while the founders were writing their kids were at school decorating a tree
that would have relevance

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Wrong

If givin free reign then many of you could remove every positive aspect of life and you could do it claiming the constitution but never realizing that we the will of the people overall should be what drives our accepted interpretation. Not the will of a few. They will even go so far as to redefine current accepted definitions of words in order to further their small personal agenda.

The terms "positive aspect" and "religion" aren't interchangeable no matter how much you want to believe it to be so.

By the way, you are demonstrating an ignorance of our Constitution here. The Constitution is setup to protect the minority from the will of the majority.
edit on 9-10-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join