It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any gamers use steam platform? Steam are liers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 07:03 AM
link   
I cant get over what a massive LIE steam say on their webpage

store.steampowered.com...

when you download it, and the compulsary updates (you cant run it without) can be over 100mb long, and updated every few days.

So how on Gods green earth do they get away with such a bold faced lie?
edit on 9-10-2015 by lamplighters because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 07:08 AM
link   
a reply to: lamplighters

When steam first came out I hated it.
Now I love it, because of the way they charge the game developers.
If a developer releases a game and it is broken (how many times do we see this?) we can now just ask for our money back from steam.
BUT steam still charges their cut from the developer so the developer loses money, this will make developers actually release working games.

Plus the sales they have are really good.
Also it lets gamers review titles so you can have a read of what other gamers think before you buy.
Also loads of free to play gamesw on there.
Smite is pretty good.

Oh and you are bothered by 100mb? takes less then a second to download that.
edit on 9-10-2015 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 07:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

When steam first came out I hated it.
Now I love it, because of the way they charge the game developers.
If a developer releases a game and it is broken (how many times do we see this?) we can now just ask for our money back from steam.
BUT steam still charges their cut from the developer so the developer loses money, this will make developers actually release working games.

Plus the sales they have are really good.
Also it lets gamers review titles so you can have a read of what other gamers think before you buy.
Also loads of free to play gamesw on there.
Smite is pretty good.

Oh and you are bothered by 100mb? takes less then a second to download that.

Hi, yeh i love steam now, its very fast doesnt take up much computer power.. a couple of years though it did was very glitchy and freezing, now its fine and easy to keep in touch.

However, it still doesnt excuse the fact that they shouldnt be advertising it as 1.2 mb download when it clearly isnt

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 07:23 AM
link   
I don't like that I can't purchase and run certain games without Steam. I don't want that bloated pile of crap on my computer. That goes for ARC and other game launchers as well.

I miss buying a game and playing without an added level of software.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 07:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
I don't like that I can't purchase and run certain games without Steam. I don't want that bloated pile of crap on my computer. That goes for ARC and other game launchers as well.

Hahah i know right, now you cant even post on steam or add people (unless they add you), until you have spent a minimum of 5 dollars, and that doesnt include exchanged gifts, i am not joking read the new terms and conditions

Also you cant buy a DLC game until you buy the main game for it,
even if you just want the key for it.

Also, now most games you buy a hard copy of in stores, you still need to download steam and install it off there, which defeats the purpose of even having the cd in the first place
That is so ridiculous lol.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I like how steam supports kickstarter games. My PC melted down due to overclocking a few years ago and I just never bought a new one. The ps4 has been serving my gaming needs well and hearthstone is on pretty much any device now so no PC required! I do miss playing Rust however.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 08:30 AM
link   
This isn't unique to the steam software. What you are downloading is an installer, that when launched connects to steam and downloads the program.

I've seen a lot of software downloads, of all types, that list a very low number that is referencing the initial installer program(in size).

I don't know that it's really meant to be dishonest at all, since what you are downloading(initially) is the size that is displayed.

That said, I used to dislike steam or the concept of digital downloads in general for games. I tried to always buy the physical disc or software. But as years went by and steam became a better medium for buying games(and some fantastic deals) I pretty much caved. 99 percent of all my games come from steam, and I've been very happy with it.

It seems those 1 and 2 day deals cannot ever be beat by physical media. I've scooped up 3-4 month old brand new big name titles on flash sales for 15 bucks, while everyone is still charging 50 bucks for physical media. Even steam will revert back to 39.99 or so after the flash sale and you may not see a low price again for months.
edit on 9-10-2015 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   

You can run any Steam or GOG game without internet connection.Both have start in offline mode..
And as an added benefit , I have gotten about 5 free games this year. The last one i got was Amnesia which is an excellent survival horror game
edit on 9-10-2015 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Had steam for years, really like it.

I've recently been playing Rivals of Aether but most of the time I'm surfing on CS:GO

I agree though that initially having to install this game client in order to play games is annoying. Overall though I've found I like having all my games in one place and if you create a desktop icon for the individual games you play the most then you can get to them without having to go into the Steam client first.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

This... and this is how all downloads are pretty much, for everything.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I don't even know how to reply to this thread other then saying it's a downloader, Not steam itself.. just like literally EVERYTHING on the web. Oh, the ignorance is painful.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: lamplighters

So how on Gods green earth do they get away with such a bold faced lie?

Steam Sales, ALL HAIL LORD GABEN!

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   

There is a way to install from the hard copy, instead of downloading it. Here is how:
Using Steam launch options to install retail games from disc
Right-click on the game, select Delete local content, and confirm.
Insert the first disc into your computer.
Close Steam (Steam > Exit).
Press Windows Key + R to open Run
In the Run window type:

"C:Program FilesSteamSteam.exe" -install E:

Replace E: with the CD/DVD drive you are installing from if is not correct.
Replace C:Program FilesSteam if your Steam installation is not in the default location.
Press OK. Steam will launch and ask you to sign in if you do not have your password saved. Your installation should continue from the disc. Using Steam launch options to install retail games from disc
Right-click on the game, select Delete local content, and confirm.
Insert the first disc into your computer.
Close Steam (Steam > Exit).
Press Windows Key + R to open Run
In the Run window type:

"C:Program FilesSteamSteam.exe" -install E:

Replace E: with the CD/DVD drive you are installing from if is not correct.
Replace C:Program FilesSteam if your Steam installation is not in the default location.
Press OK. Steam will launch and ask you to sign in if you do not have your password saved. Your installation should continue from the disc.
linky: support.steampowered.com...

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

You can run any Steam or GOG game without internet connection.Both have start in offline mode..
And as an added benefit , I have gotten about 5 free games this year. The last one i got was Amnesia which is an excellent survival horror game

I tried running some games in offline mode, and they wouldn't work because some content (audio sounds) were actually referenced as download files.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell

originally posted by: Gothmog

I tried running some games in offline mode, and they wouldn't work because some content (audio sounds) were actually referenced as download files.

Strange. May have been DLC content.But still should have ran . That would not be a Steam issue , rather a game producer issue.

top topics

join