It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does the Sun Revolve Around the Earth, or does the Earth Revolve Around the Sun?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   
i thort that " A T S " was full of smart thinkers and not full of stupid thinking ie is the world flat or dose the sun go around the earth ............. come on can we not think of better things to talk about ?????????????????????

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   
It's science. It's been proven, time and time again.

Earth revolves around the sun. 20% of Americans think the other way around ? They're probably religious nutters who have been taught that a flat Earth is the Center of the Universe.

Americans are more likely to believe in ridiculousness or not believe in proven theories (like climate change) than any other nation on the planet.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: tempestking
i thort that " A T S " was full of smart thinkers and not full of stupid thinking ie is the world flat or dose the sun go around the earth ............. come on can we not think of better things to talk about ?????????????????????

There haven't been very many good, true conspiracy theory threads on ATS for a very long time.

It's become a discussion board for ridiculousness.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace
a reply to: SilentE

What happens when you get to the edge?

You learn the truth.

The world is a disc, carried on the back of 4 giant elephants, named Berilia, Tubul, Great T'Phon, and Jerakeen who are, in turn, carried on the back of a giant Star Turtle called the Great A'Tuin...

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

Bottom one is the perfect circle, (awesome band too...)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   
All I can say is, Wow! I mean, seriously, WOW!!

Arbitrageur, I’ve always considered you one of my favorite science contributors on ATS. Your posts are always knowledgeable, articulate and to the point. Myself, as well as many others, have learned a great deal from you over time.

That being said, please don’t take what I’m about to say the wrong way. It’s not about you, Arbitrageur, but rather is a comment on the flow of this thread. You’re still one of my favorite science authorities around here.

This thread started out nicely, was well-presented and obviously well-intentioned. As it was pointed out in the OP, an astonishing 20% or more of the general population is still of the belief that the sun revolves around the earth (geocentric view). Then the currently accepted view by science (heliocentric model) was presented, along with a challenge to the geocentrists to calculate the Lagrangian points using the geocentric model. Up to this point all is good.

Then the replies started coming in, and that’s when it started getting weird. Weird or not, though, for some reason I felt compelled to read the thread from beginning to end. Normally that doesn’t happen with me. If I think things have derailed or gone off on a tangent, I usually leave the thread and go onto something else. That wasn’t the case here, though.

Let me put it this way: Have you ever come home late at night, exhausted after a long, trying day at work, sat down in the dark and started channel surfing? Then after around 10 channels you stopped on some station showing the craziest, most outlandish program imagineable, and it was so friggin’ bad that you just sat there in front of the tube paralyzed, unable to take your eyes off it til the bloody end? OK, I think you get the point.

Sorry. Please, EVERYONE, don’t take what I said personally. I’ve had a blast reading this thread. I guess I’m just having a stupid fit. Right now if someone told me we’re under an alien invasion I’d probably laugh my ass off all the way up til they vaporized me.

Carry on. Oh, BTW, I’m of the heliocentric persuasion...

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: theMediator

originally posted by: SilentE
What happens when you get to the edge?

I think that's what we all want to know! If I had a plane, I would try to go from Australia to South America directly over Antarctica.

I've looked at both sides and I really can't tell if the earth is a globe or a flat disk.

As I already proved flights leave Aus to Ant. all the time. This theory is proven wrong and you can take a flight any day you want.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 10:20 PM
link   
To be honest I don't think the average person puts much thought into it.
I have said on my birthday, "yay, one more lap around the sun!".... And people have said " what?, I don't get it..."
When I explain it they say "aaaah...never looked at it that way before. Cool".

But one only need spend a few minutes reading some of the misguided, uneducated idiocy in the creationism forum to realise that the estimate of medieval level retardation (especially in America) is likely much higher than that.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Earth revolves around the Sun and the Sun has a twin sister Sun which has a twin/parallel Earth, which is more evolved than our Earth.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 04:11 AM
link   
a reply to: djz3ro
Whats the turtle on then?

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 05:26 AM
link   
a reply to: netbound
I admit I had some similar reactions to this thread.

originally posted by: chewi
I think the NASA photos of the earth are real, so the turtles idea isn't my idea but my understanding of the model is it's supposed to be turtles all the way down as in this artists conception, maybe?

originally posted by: tempestking
If 20% of the population thinks the sun revolves around the Earth and if ATS population is a reflection of that, then 20% of ATSers would have such beliefs.

I'd like to see that 20% lowered to maybe 2% for the purpose of scientific literacy, but I'm probably too optimistic in thinking that could happen, though I was hoping we might improve the scientific literacy a little bit on ATS at least.
edit on 20151010 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 05:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: chewi

You probably want someone to say:
"It's turtles all the way down"...

...but that would be silly.

In reality, the bottom turtle just has really long legs.

Edit to Add:
Ah. I see I typed too slowly and 'Arbitrageur' beat me to an answer. But of course he gave the common misconception answer.

edit on 10/10/2015 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 05:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People
I can't tell if the bottom turtle has long legs or not...they get too small down there to see in the artist's conception.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 06:07 AM
link   
I just solved the world's hunger problem. Unlimited supply of turtle soup.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Well, this has been an entertaining thread. Yes, the Earth revolves around the Sun. Neither are flat.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Just a little food for thought...

youtu.be...

Kinda looks like DNA huh?
edit on 10-10-2015 by Jahari because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   
The earth revolves around my feet. i can prove it. at 12 noon the earth is underfoot and at midnight it is underfoot. so what ever the earth's motion it is always under my feet. it is therefore tidally locked. since the sun is in galactic orbit but also the earth is in orbit and when ever measured both are in the same relationship with my feet then they all revolve around me.

(my feet must be bigger than they appear.)

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arbitrageur
1. Parallax of the star 61 Cygni was measured by astronomer Friedrich Wilhelm Bessel in 1838, which proves that the Earth revolves around the sun, and numerous other parallax measurements of stars have been made since.

Is there such a thing as positive and negative stellar parallax? (I don't see anything in the Wikipedia article about it.)

I ask because of this blog post: www.zengardner.com...

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 12:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: ConnectDots
Is there such a thing as positive and negative stellar parallax? (I don't see anything in the Wikipedia article about it.)

I ask because of this blog post: www.zengardner.com...
That's a crackpot source, however there is something else which is very important to consider in measuring parallax. It's called aberration, and maybe it's possible that your source is presenting a very convoluted and nonsensical explanation of aberration. It's not worth any effort try to make sense out of that source which is written by a currency guy who provided no sources.

Here is a better source which explains parallax and aberration:

Seeing  Earth’s  Orbit  in  the  Stars:  Parallax  and  Aberration

Stellar Aberration can result from three types of motion:
1. Earth's rotation
2. Earth's orbit around the sun
3. Sun's orbit around the Milky Way

1 and 2 are cyclical over a day and a year and the effects of those motions can have more effect on a star's apparent position than parallax, so calculation of parallax must take those motions into account.

aberration

Aberration should not be confused with stellar parallax. The latter is caused by a change in the position of the observer looking at a relatively nearby object (theoretically, at any object outside the Solar System); the former is related to light-time correction and relativistic beaming

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 07:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Arbitrageur
It's not worth any effort try to make sense out of that source which is written by a currency guy who provided no sources.

Nevertheless, he asks an interesting question:

While Earthbound observation of the Sun can probably never conclusively show whether the Sun circles the Earth or vice versa, NASA should theoretically be able to do just that. Presumably, they are scouting the solar system as we speak and it should be a piece of cake to have one of their satellites monitor the Sun’s orbit (or the Earth’s). They would only need a few months worth of data to prove the point.

Why, do you reckon, has this not happened?

www.zengardner.com...

To your knowledge, has NASA, in fact, done what the author suggests?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join