It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal Government Has Less Data On Police Violence than News Sources

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 12:51 AM
link   
The wake up call has been issued. Let's see if our government hits the snooze button on this one.

James Comey, head of the FBI, is not at all happy that a couple of news sources seem to have more data on police brutality than our own federal databases. The sad thing is, one of those news sources ISN'T EVEN IN THE US! I would be pretty peeved too. So as it goes, apparently the government has been turning a blind eye towards the rising brutality of our local law enforcement and now... I have to do it... The chickens are coming home to roost!

I'm all for law enforcement but only when they're civil and do the job they swore and oath to do, to uphold the laws of this once great country, to protect and serve. When they get out of hand, break the laws they are supposed to uphold, and beat the innocence out of any and everyone they feel are worthy of the punishment, I have a serious problem with that. So now, I'm wondering just how far the rant of the FBI chief will go. Will something be done?

FBI chief: 'unacceptable' that Guardian has better data on police violence

James Comey tells crime summit that ‘it’s ridiculous’ Guardian and Washington Post have more information on civilians’ deaths at hands of US police than FBI

The head of the FBI has said it is “ridiculous [and] embarrassing” that the federal government has no better information on police shootings than databases compiled by the Guardian US and the Washington Post.

“It is unacceptable that the Washington Post and the Guardian newspaper from the UK are becoming the lead source of information about violent encounters between [US] police and civilians. That is not good for anybody,” said James Comey, the FBI director, on Wednesday.

Corney goes on to mention that you have a much better chance of getting flu statistics about the country from Centers for Disease Control and Prevention easier than you can get the facts on just how many people are beaten to a pulp by rogue cops. I would also agree that this is pretty sad.

“You can get online and figure out how many tickets were sold to The Martian ... the CDC [Centers for Disease Control and Prevention] can do the same with the flu,” he continued. “It’s ridiculous – embarrassing and ridiculous – that we can’t talk about crime in the same way, especially in the high-stakes incidents when your officers have to use force.”

Maybe people in higher places will follow up and finally take note. Maybe only for a little while? Maybe... Just maybe, it might deter such violence. It seems like if you solve one problem, people may get to trust LEOs more. But I could just be wishing on a star.

On Monday, the US attorney general, Loretta Lynch, announced a pilot open-source programme to count killings by police around the country. It is the most comprehensive official effort so far to accurately record the number of deaths at the hands of US police. The move follows calls from campaigners and lawmakers for better official data on police killings, after a nationwide debate about racism and policing was sparked by protests in Ferguson, Missouri, in 2014.

It makes me wonder... Is there a cover-up? If so, where is the problem? The judges? The DA? The department chiefs? That's certainly my guess, but what do I know?

At the violence summit, mayors, police chiefs and state attorneys general said the lack of data was contributing to a dangerous trend in which police officers shunned aggressive tactics for fear of becoming the next officer to be caught on camera in a compromising situation.

Here's to hope that something is finally going to be done about this mess. I'm seeing far too many videos and stories about unjustified brutality at the hands of Law Enforcement.

edit on 9-10-2015 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 12:58 AM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

What more could we expect from a state institution?

At least the FBI is still barred from unionizing, why are the police allowed to?

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 01:04 AM
link   
As some warned in the past that is building up as intentional to say no wonder why they are not keeping tabs on it. The offered solution from then would probably be something more infringing on our freedom as opposed to a real solution. Hoping it's not a damned if you do or damned if you don't situation in the rally for this to help stop the ongoing corruption or it's just going to aid more. At least media, in this case, is trying to get the news out there.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 01:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: greencmp

At least the FBI is still barred from unionizing, why are the police allowed to?

Uhh...Federal vs. State employees and agencies? Maybe, perhaps ?
And the FBI is a Federal Institution for high - level crimes. The group that should have the information in these cases are the US Justice Department....on second thought maybe not

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

originally posted by: greencmp

Uhh...Federal vs. State employees and agencies? Maybe, perhaps ?
And the FBI is a Federal Institution for high - level crimes. The group that should have the information in these cases are the US Justice Department....on second thought maybe not

Well, federal employees are unionized and I think clerical workers within federal law enforcement are also unionized.

They represent the greatest threat to the survival of our country. States and municipalities also suffer greatly at the hands of public sector unions but, I am primarily concerned with national organizations which is why I am so vociferously opposed to the proposals to nationalize local law enforcement.

It seems clear that they don't have the data because it fails to support the political narrative.

new topics

top topics

join