It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No more costume parties!!!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Tiamat384

I'm not suggesting you "run away" from the US, just saying take a breather from it and broaden your horizons; expose yourself to some "high" culture; they do exist. Imagine you could find yourself in a society where the penultimate expression of culture is something other than Kim Kardashian's bodacious behind and intellectual pursuits involve something more salient than discussions about who the "real" black president would be or is or whatever.

Canada is no way near as screwed up as the US is and probably won't ever be. French would be just a start; once you've learned one language, the others come much easier. To help with French, if you love music, check out some YouTube videos with the lyrics displayed like:

www.youtube.com...

Or: www.youtube.com...
Or: www.youtube.com...

Then, if you're really ambitious check out: www.newsinslowfrench.com...

BTW: I'm not sure its still the case, but, it had been that if you're fluent in French, you can attend the Sorbonne in Paris.........tuition FREE!

Bon Fortune

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

I'm not sure how well I am with languages. But wouldn't it be easier to go to English speaking parts of Canada or perhaps England. I could go to Poland and I love my country, but I'm not sure.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Most of us are in college simply because we have no idea what else to do, and this is what is expected of us.
a reply to: Boomy327

You are at such an amazing place right now. You have the tools and the resources to do such much more than my generation ever thought of doing.

I don't start threads often because no one is really interested in what I have to say on ATS, so I don't write for ATSers really. I write for the lurkers, the seekers, and the people that we never hear from.

Don't get me wrong. I lover ATS, and I enjoy participating in some of the forums, that is until the trolls take over. Or we start hitting a brick wall because all listening has been suspended. At that point it becomes all about convincing everyone that you are right, and all others must concede.

I wrote a thread about a week ago, it died like all my threads, putting another notch in my belt, concerning the generations that are living in our present. I wanted to discuss how the generations before ours impacted us, and what impact our generation has or will have on the generations that will follow.

Every generation learns something from the generations that came before. They learn what works and what doesn’t. As a child you believe what you are told and you do as you are told, as you mature and have your own life experiences. You will develop your own thoughts and ideas. Your understanding of what is right, wrong, good or bad, may change.

Remember this always; Everything you are taught as truth is something that someone else has accepted as truth, and has convinced enough others, that it is accepted as fact. Truth is nothing more than what you choose to believe and accept.

Learn from our mistakes. Look beyond today and what you can see and touch. Do not sacrifice life, joy, community and future, for anything that will end up in a landfill in a couple of years. Cherish what is given that was not made, that which cannot age or decay.

Look at what people “need” not what people want. Seek a career that will address those needs. Find a place that you like and respect, that is already working at doing what you love doing. Find a mentor that will train and respect you. An apprenticeship may take you a lot further than a college degree or it may boost your chances of doing what you really want to do.

My father told me something that has guided my choices in life and it has worked for me. His words were; “If you have the choice of a job that pays you a 100 dollars an hour that you hate, and a job that pays you 5 dollars an hour that you love, always take the 5 dollar an hour job.”

He also added; “Most jobs will have you working 8 plus hours a day.” “The only other thing that you give that much time to is sleep.” My father never had the opportunity to go beyond Elementary school. So you see wisdom does not always come from those with higher education.

<< 1   >>

join