It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No more costume parties!!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 11:05 PM
link   
This is crazy on so many levels. Between this and the no whites yoga class we are in trouble. Soon all costume parties will be illegal.
www.latimes.com...

UCLA students protest after partygoers wear blackface at Kanye West-themed frat party

What are these idiots going to tell their kids when they ask them about what they did while at college?
edit on 8/10/2015 by shooterbrody because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 11:30 PM
link   
A large majority of college students do not graduate. That is the problem.

**ETA the majority that do graduate with a paper degree in nothing.
edit on 8-10-2015 by Vector99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Being in college now I can tell you that I am surrounded with morons. There's about half of us that have a clue and try to be descent but really that majority does not care. They are here to eat, sleep, hump, and make money. The sad reality is that this is what our "higher education" system has been reduced to.

Most of us are in college simply because we have no idea what else to do, and this is what is expected of us.

So really this is not surprising and even tame compared to what fraternities and sororities and some of the worst of us do. a reply to: shooterbrody

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 11:54 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

What are these idiots going to tell their kids when they ask them about what they did while at college?

Which ones? The ones that wore blackface to a party or the ones protesting about it?

I think both are kinda off base.
I mean what do the protesters expect anyone to do about it?

And why would you want pictures of you in blackface on social media?

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 11:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Boomy327

I agree. People in college seem to like mindless things. Those idiotic videos...I'm tired of it. I'm in college because well, I don't know what to do. It'd be nice to have someone here to have an intelligent conversation with and sometimes it is possible, but not always and not for long. People older than me are much better to have a discussion with.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 11:56 PM
link   

I would be interested to know how many of the students at your school think that Kanye West represents black culture.

Also where was the BlackBruinsMatter when this premiered?
www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 11:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Both groups....imagine having to tell your kids this is what we did for fun or telling your kids this was our great protest.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 12:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99
A large majority of college students do not graduate. That is the problem.

**ETA the majority that do graduate with a paper degree in nothing.

According to the Government, it would be the opposite of what you say. Fast Facts states that 57% of first-time, full-time students graduate.

Here is a 'private' site -- HigerEdInfo that says nearly the same thing. 55% of students graduate.

Where are you getting your information from? Thin air?

ETA: I guess I didn't finish reading your post. Define "paper degree in nothing"...

edit on 9-10-2015 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 12:15 AM
link   
a reply to: ownbestenemy
Maybe he/she meant part-time and/or repeat students:
www.nbcnews.com - Dropping Out, Again: Why So Many College Students Never Graduate...
edit on 10/9/2015 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 12:19 AM
link   

A large majority of the USA population take on student loans. Sadly that same majority either never graduates, or is just a slacker despite the majority of those slackers seeking nonsensical degrees.

The thin air accusation is amusing. Also a 57% graduation rate you really consider that progress?

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 12:22 AM
link   

spending money on education, when it is really readily available information is a good thing. Russia does not do that.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 12:49 AM
link   
a reply to: jonnywhite

That is fine, but I just don't accept random spews of "information" on the internet. Hence why I asked where they are getting their information and provide at least a counter where I can.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 12:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

A large majority of the USA population take on student loans. Sadly that same majority either never graduates, or is just a slacker despite the majority of those slackers seeking nonsensical degrees.

The thin air accusation is amusing. Also a 57% graduation rate you really consider that progress?

I never said progress. You said "large majority" do not graduate. Majority, if you are unaware, assumes greater than 50%. That is opposite of the data. I am in agreement with you that it isn't progress at all; but it sure isn't a majority as you stated.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Ha well the diversity here is terrible so most of the kids get their "black culture" from Kanye, lil Wayne, Kendrick Lamar, ect..... So most of them hahahaha it's so sad. I think we need to have a national government TV grab before they take the guns. The media is far worse for all of us and more detrimental to our lives! a reply to: shooterbrody

edit on 9-10-2015 by Boomy327 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 01:29 AM
link   

if it was something like a 90-100% graduation rate I would feel different.

50% failing is just not right, and that happens here on a huge percent.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 06:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tiamat384

I agree. People in college seem to like mindless things. Those idiotic videos...I'm tired of it. I'm in college because well, I don't know what to do. It'd be nice to have someone here to have an intelligent conversation with and sometimes it is possible, but not always and not for long. People older than me are much better to have a discussion with.

Learn a foreign language....fast....and get into a foreign University where you can at least find yourself in the company of people with some semblance of understanding of what it means to live in a "civilized" world and where you can pursue a meaningful education. French would be a good start; then go to Montreal for a year and get fluent in it and then on to Paris.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 06:38 AM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

Depends on what their politics actually are now and in the future really doesn't it?

If they are racist, then it's a fairly safe bet that their kids will be racist too...so they'll probably say racist based things to them.

If they are not racist or are not in the future, they'll probably tell their kids they were just young, stupid and having a laugh.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Yeah some idiots caused a scandal at some college, but it'll blow over eventually. This institution might have put a temporary moratorium on costume parties but it's a bit full-on to claim that costume parties will become illegal. I seriously do not think that would ever happen.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: DeepThoughtCriminal

Agreed. It's a knee-jerk reaction in an attempt to prevent trouble from brewing out of control.

After a while, the position will be clarified to exclude only those costumes that are likely to cause offence to minorities and so on.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

I am actually taking Elementary French, but I don't think running away from the States will do much good. The entire Western world is only a step or so behind what the USA is.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join