It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

St. Louis Prepares For "Catastrophic Event" As Underground Fire Nears Nuclear Waste Cache

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Found this story today while hopping around the net.
I haven't heard anything about it on the MSM.
(Also I didn't post the title to "fear monger", its the title of the article)

(ZeroHedge)-Beneath the surface of a St. Louis-area landfill lurk two things that should never meet: a slow-burning fire and a cache of Cold War-era nuclear waste, separated by no more than 1,200 feet.

The cause of the fire is unknown. For years, the most immediate concern has been an odor created by the smoldering. Republic Services is spending millions of dollars to ease or eliminate the smell by removing concrete pipes that allowed the odor to escape and installing plastic caps over parts of the landfill

If the underground fire reaches the waste, “there is a potential for radioactive fallout to be released in the smoke plume and spread throughout the region,” according to the disaster plan.

www.zerohedge.com...
^^Full story there^^

Also found this video talking about it.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   
To add, this seems like it become another Centralia, PA.

It's still burning to this day, and the area effected only had about 1,100 people.
An area the size of St.Louis would be a disaster.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Black_Fox

What type of damage would something like this cause? Once contact has been made it would be impossible to control so would be a continuous spewing of radiation?

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Dig a trench between the fire and the dump site and fill it with water, do it now...

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Full on fear mongering.

Underground landfill fires are very common, so why the cause is unknown is beyond me, it's a very common scenario IIRC when methane levels reach about 21% and oxygen hits 5% then it can self ignite.

Easy fix! Dig a trench between the radioactive stuff and the fire, btw the radioactive stuff is probably really low dose stuff from x-rays etc

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Black_Fox
I was thinking of this town too! I couldn't get your video to work but, you used to be able to tour this town. Now it is considered to be unsafe.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: FawnyKate

This is not from x-rays,this is from THE Manhattan project.We here in St.Louis have long known about it.Now over the years they realize that the company that was supposed to dispose of it,threw it all over the St.Louis area including in Cold Water Creek by where I grew up. Many people have either died or gotten cancer that grew up by there now. One company....didn't do what it was supposed to.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Like black fox said it'll probably turn into another Centralia. Hopefully they'll close it off better though. I grew up a little over an hour from there and while they have the tunnel into Centralia close off for vehicle access, it's easily traversed via foot.

And man, is it creepy there! Some houses, you can look into their dining room and see the table set for dinner. Time stands still there. If I can find the old pics I took I'll create a thread. Sadly I think they were lost about 4 laptops ago lol.

Anyways, this sound like Centralia on steroids. Underground fire plus radioactive waste? We'll have a Chernobyl right here in the USA!

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: seaswine

I took my kids to the abandoned PA turnpike and they loved it. They said it was in the video game left for dead.

When I finally got that video to work my first though was FEILD TRIP!

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Iamthatbish

It's amazing there. The feeling of being somewhere that was once a bustling highway, but now is totally deserted!! Gahhhh I love it!!

Too bad this area in St Louis won't be safe to play in. Safe being relative of course hahaha

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Posted earlier here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

top topics

join