It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazon Home Services < or > jobs vs. contractors

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Hello fellow AST-ers,

I am posting this in the General Conspiracies Section for several reasons; first and foremost, Amazon has been targeted (not only here on ATS) but all over the web as being 'cult-like' antitrust, illegal, fake or counterfeit, you name it, Amazon has been accused of it. Well, now they are getting into SERVICE!

For those of you that are in the 'world of Service' you may find this (or not) very uplifting and a possible tool to increase your revenue stream. For those of you in big Corp. America or otherwise, you may find it to be detrimental to some extent.

So, I said that to say this; for you IT professionals, roofers, computer, electronics, landscapers...... Including those of you (I specifically call out the IT gurus, like myself that are "for hire") you know, we sign up on specific 'websites' and accept jobs for $$$ based on our reviews and experience in whatever specialty field that you may cater to; myself, I cater to all sizes and types of IT companies that desire an expert for service in the national market.

Ok, so here it is, I bring you www.amazon.com... - FINALLY, or UGHH-OH.... Amazon is pimping out service(s) for virtually any type of service provider. I received my invitation this a.m. - DID I ACCEPT? You bet I did!!!!

So, where will this go in the future? How will this benefit you or me? Is this the beginning or the end? Google has a few secrets up their sleeve as well (that is another thread altogether)

I've seen and witnessed this exact scenario in the pat with web-based offerings, you all know Cr*** List, ANG** List, Back P****, rather than hiring an employee, why not just contract one for 1/2 the expense? I'm guilty - I accept jobs on platforms in my local community… How will this affect Big Corp?

IS this something huge in today's market, or will it just be another day at the beach? Let's hear it ATS-ers, ESCPECIALLY all of you IT guys and Gals that know where I am coming from!!!!

At the very least, I am sure it will have a positive effect on my business rating:-)!!!!

thanks for reading

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   
A company that I have been sub-contracting for to be "like Geeksquad" but "Cheaper" has also gone the way of Amazon for marketing and selling our services. I haven't signed up to add that in for myself as I haven't really had any "jobs" from the regular company in quite some time. I feel that it will just lower my reputation along with our fee scales that are too low now for "on call" at your door services.

It's the new dollar store online to me and the hoops and hidden fees that are probably involved outweigh the benefits.

Let me know how it goes for you. I just didn't feel comfortable jumping on that bandwagon.

A_L

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Thats kick ass, I use Amazon every month. CL and BP are like uhh... you know man. I'm sure I'll end up using this, thanks for the heads up!

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

I apologize for my ignorance in the world of independent contractors.... but wouldn't this lower your fees per job? Or is it that the amount of new work you expect to take on will overcome the lower rate?

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I would use it.

I live in a small town. I love amazon, because I take the time to read the reviews. Good and bad. If I needed something done, and found someone in my area, reasonably priced, with good to great reviews, I would hire them. Because honestly, I've tried looking through a new yellow page book. NOBODY is listing anymore. At least around here.

My problem is, Hubby is a "handyman" that works with two others. So, while it takes forever, they handle most everything.

But I'm going to ask them, if they would list on there tonight.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

elury- no worries, You see. I have both a national and local presence in my field of expertise. I hire 'independents' in other states (Puerto Rico, Canada) and carry out jobs for large corporations.

So, for my local business, this will indicate a new profit center, for my company. For others on the receiving end, The technicians and engineers that I hire, this will put more opportunity in motion for them. (as well as my 'local' technicians here in the city that I live)

Another Lurker is in the know on some of the platforms, and this is just another 'opportunity based' service, but the KICKER is that EVERYONE knows Amazon. This will probably lead to a staggering slow death of many platform based websites that pimp out services for fees AKA fee based web-services. Again, anything from your local cable installer, lawn mower dude, high tech, VOIP, router installs, close circuit... you name it.... The technology industry has been prositution-alized with these fee based web sites for over a decade and what I would accept on an install 10yrs ago for 125.00 per hour, today the same job will sell for 50.00- it is a yes and no answer depending on if you are the receiver, or the punter:-) hope this helps...

PLUS, I think competition makes you / me better ! with the name Amazon backing me as a technology expert, the pros MUST outweigh the CONS, more jobs, higher ratings, etc. -

thanks for posting

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Well i am GLAD i am out of the service industry I was in. I am considering starting a new company, and It would be able to take advantage of this.

Is there a cost to be listed? Is it a cost to hire through the site? I guess my ? is, How does amazon monetize it and how does that affect your bottom line (leaving out considerations of price due to competition, that will vary greatly I imagine).

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: ISawItFirst

ISAW, the cost (like many other fee based service sites) is absorbed by the 'hired-hand' - I am sure, (I will need to read further into this when my company is accepted as a vendor) that they also have offerings such as Errors and Omissions Insurance - Workers Comp, (some fee based site also offer their contractors vision, dental)

This very well MAY be a nice turn for folks like me that do offer local professional services, thanks for posting!

I utilize one in particular website that I encourage my techs and engineers to sign up on; my fee for this service is a flat 15.00 charge per service call. This is a steal on my side, the tech/engineer pays a small percent to accept the job. The funds are already there when the tech/engineer accepts the job. Upon completion, I hit the green button and the tech/ engineer gets an auto deposit w/in 24hrs.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

I see this as definitely a win for the consumer.

For a business owner and employees it could be a toss up.

On the good end for an employee they could cut out the middleman (employer) and directly work for the customer which is a win-win-loss (Customer - employee - employer). They can become an independent contractor with a voice that can be heard equally to the established big boys.

A business owner will have a hard time keeping employees if the employees can easily go and compete against them on equal grounds and underbid them.

This looks like it could be the big push that will finally make America into a contractor based economy with no benefits, liability, workers comp, 40 hour work week, etc.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

Most service jobs are going to require liability insurance and workmans comp. Trust me, I know.

The real kicker, is typically as the principal, you cannot claim workers comp. That is just money down the drain. UEI can be much the same, state dependant.

As for benefits, it is much much better to pay for those things yourself anyways.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: ISawItFirst

Yes they require insurance

services.amazon.com...
State/Local Business Registration Number
Valid credit card (for identity verification; your card will not be charged at registration)
Insurance information
Names and email addresses of your in-home technicians (if applicable)
Addresses of your stores (if applicable)
Trade Licenses

Pricing:
They take between 10-20%
services.amazon.com...

FAQ:
services.amazon.com...

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: ReadLeader
a reply to: eluryh22
This will probably lead to a staggering slow death of many platform based websites that pimp out services for fees AKA fee based web-services. Again, anything from your local cable installer, lawn mower dude, high tech, VOIP, router installs, close circuit... you name it.... The technology industry has been prositution-alized with these fee based web sites for over a decade and what I would accept on an install 10yrs ago for 125.00 per hour, today the same job will sell for 50.00- it is a yes and no answer depending on if you are the receiver, or the punter:-) hope this helps...

The way to slow this down this down is to lobby the local governments to require the various vendors offering services to have state issued licenses. For example, closed circuit projects over $500 USD could require a low-voltage system contractor license. By doing this government could reduce the number people legally being able to offer their services, via Amazon, which could keep hourly rates from racing too quickly to the bottom.
edit on 8-10-2015 by boohoo because: (no reason given)

new topics

join