It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Army begins new engine program

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   
The Army has sent out an RFP for a new engine to replace the T700 engine used in the UH-60 family, and the AH-64.

The new engine, known as the Improved Turbine Engine Program, or ITEP, will result in a 3,000 shp class engine. The RFP sets a threshold maximum power of 1,850 shp at 6,000 feet and 95 degrees, with a weight of 465 pounds.

m.aviationweek.com...

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   
what's wrong with using the t700/t6a? isn't it like 2700shp?

I'm all for more horse power and efficiency though.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

Better high altitude performance, less fuel burn, longer loiter time.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Yeah I know.

They are going to have to overhaul or entirely replace the main mod and gear boxes. CEs are going to have to have regularly scheduled oil samples to ensure the engines are making the XMSN and gear boxes eat themselves.

The T700 is metered at 1600 SHP per engine. It is capable of much more but the main mod, highspeed shafts, and the gearboxes would destroy themselves at torque levels higher than that.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Don't really have any knowledge on this subject but was intrigued as to what fsme means on your profiles.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Misterlondon

Forum Subject Matter Expert. It's not used anymore.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Ah ok.. funny, I've been on this site for around 5 years and that is the first time I have noticed it.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Will Rolls Royce be able to bid or US Manufacturers only? I though the UK AH-64 had a better engine?

Or is just nationalist propaganda!

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Ex-Spert = Old.....Drip under pressure

Wouldnt the AH-64 and Cobra be designated as Legacy fleet now and with the forces looking at updating to 6th gen soon is there anything in the Black Books to replace them or are they looking at going for drones?

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Forensick

Any engine manufacturer that can meet the requirements is eligible. Although the current engine in the UK Apache fleet doesn't meet the RFP requirements. Good start though.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

I can see the DoD going over to unmanned systems like NG's MQ-8 Fire Scout and LM's VARIOUS platforms for the attack roll. Cargo and troop insertion will still probably be manned platforms, although I'm not aware of any replacements for them.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I work in the QC dept. in my unit and I walked into the PC meeting and started discussing this.

As it turns out, no one was told JACK about this and some phone calls were made.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

ooooooohhhh... Zaph you got some people into trouble.

lol

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

We're supposed to be informed about these potential changes from AMCOM.

Any time the Army has an RFP for a new component we're supposed to be informed. It's more of a heads up kind of deal. Normally we know about it WAY before Zaph has a chance to post it lol.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Someone must be on vacation ;p

Zaph I think we can say this is the most informed forum on the net about aviation.

Even the Military gets its info here. ;p

lol

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   

What can I say. You're welcome. Haha.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
I work in the QC dept. in my unit and I walked into the PC meeting and started discussing this.

As it turns out, no one was told JACK about this and some phone calls were made.

The batteries on the notice that you were supposed get died so...

If only they were tritium/fiber optic you would have known, and knowing is half the battle!

edit on 10/8/2015 by Mirthful Me because: (no reason given)

top topics

join