It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Anti-Bullying" Campaigns Are Useless

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 02:27 AM
link   
a reply to: luthier

I am up to 6 or 7 times in this thread saying that martial arts and self defence have a place in dealing with bullying? Are you not reading, failing to understand or deliberately trying to pick a fight with something I haven't actually said?
My issue is with your apparent believe that it is the only solution. Can you explain how martial arts is going to help the disabled kid who can't actually do it? Or perhaps how it helps when the kid is being picked on by a group of larger older kids? What about when the bullying is not physical, is retaliation with violence still the answer? If a kid is been bullied on-line should he karate kick his computer monitor?

Any efforts to reduce bullying have to deal with the whole issue. The bullied kids ability to stand up for themselves might be part of that but so might be looking at what else can be done to build their confidence or expand their social circle.

It would also involve dealing effectively with the bully as well. It might involve more effective disciplinary measures or it might involve dealing with underlying issues that are making them behave that way in the first place. Lets not forget that in most cases the bully is just a kid is well.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

I am up to 6 or 7 times in this thread saying that martial arts and self defence have a place in dealing with bullying? Are you not reading, failing to understand or deliberately trying to pick a fight with something I haven't actually said?
My issue is with your apparent believe that it is the only solution. Can you explain how martial arts is going to help the disabled kid who can't actually do it? Or perhaps how it helps when the kid is being picked on by a group of larger older kids? What about when the bullying is not physical, is retaliation with violence still the answer? If a kid is been bullied on-line should he karate kick his computer monitor?

Any efforts to reduce bullying have to deal with the whole issue. The bullied kids ability to stand up for themselves might be part of that but so might be looking at what else can be done to build their confidence or expand their social circle.

It would also involve dealing effectively with the bully as well. It might involve more effective disciplinary measures or it might involve dealing with underlying issues that are making them behave that way in the first place. Lets not forget that in most cases the bully is just a kid is well.

What you don't get is that martial arts is not about physical violence. It's a code to live by. It goes well beyond self defense as I keep saying over and over. It's about not fighting because you are confident you can defend yourself. It deals with self esteem, de-esculation, and a wealth of mental control devices that help defuse the situation. Most importantly (for kids) through a ranking system acknowledges progress that gives confidence allowing the bullies words to not cause as much or any harm.

You have plenty of statements that contradict your own thoughts.

So in other words you have some vague feel good ideas you have no way of executing. Of course there are many problems. What are you doing about it. How good is your success rate. Do you support the idea of anti bully programs or are you part of the solution?

I here a lot of skeptisim about what I have said but you have offered no specific solutions and have not explained how you are doing anything to help. You critize people who are suggesting standing up to bullies but have no solutions of your own.

My guess is you or people you know were bullied and have not resolved the issues.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Again at what point have I said that martial arts don't help, I believe I even said that they can play an important role in building confidence along with numerous other activities like team sports and performing arts. You know things that I have actually seen working. I also believe that long term solutions have to involve the kid doing the bullying as while I am sure there are some genuinely bad kids the vast vast majority are just misguided and in need of a little help themselves.

I notice that you haven't addressed my point about kids who martial arts aren't suitable for, if martial arts is the only thing that works should they just be written off?

Can you possibly elaborate on what statements contradict my thoughts? My position has been fairly consistent throughout there is no one solution to bullying as each case is different. My issue all along has been with the victim blaming mentality of 'they just need to stick up for themselves' . This is a dangerous over simplification.

My scepticism about what you (and others) have said is not about whether martial arts work but the idea that it is only thing that works. I am a huge believer in the importance of sport and other participation activities being character building but lets not raise martial arts onto some kind of pedestal above the others.

new topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join